Honda CBX550 - brat/urban scrambler project updates

So with exhaust wraps, are they for looks, keep from showing blue pipes or to keep us from frying our legs? Not sure.

djmaynard said:
So with exhaust wraps, are they for looks, keep from showing blue pipes or to keep us from frying our legs? Not sure.

The practical [ marginal in my view ] reason is to retain heat in the exhaust and thus [?] more power.

However, I'm all for individuality of style - just not my thing.

As a practical usage I use wrap on my VW Beetle manifold to shield heat from cooking the spin-off oil filter/pump housing I've fitted.

On the Honda it's there for the looks, which I like. It's used as an option on rusty pipes...some say it accelerates rust if it gets wet and can catch fire...but only if oil/fuel gets to it.

its too low c'mon you can see that ,but the bracket is perfect ,it just you missed the fine details
its so low it magnifies that it is the wrong fender as far as matching the radius of the tire and finally it is slightly shifted off center crowding the front top
it needs to be raised up at least an inch,otherwise if you ever get in any mud it will simply clog up

xb33bsa said:
its too low c'mon you can see that ,but the bracket is perfect ,it just you missed the fine details
its so low it magnifies that it is the wrong fender as far as matching the radius of the tire and finally it is slightly shifted off center crowding the front top
it needs to be raised up at least an inch,otherwise if you ever get in any mud it will simply clog up

Yeah, I'll have to raise it a touch. Radius profile I can't do much about, but looking at the earlier photos it was a few mm higher ( an inch is too much, a hugger guard is what I wanted - no mud will be damaged in the riding of this bike ;) )......it'll have to come off agin though...grr!

It's looking good. I just noticed the valve on your front wheel is at a slight angle. If you deflate the tube, tap your tyre in what would be a reverse rotation and it will correct the valve. Just blow it back up then.

You can get a puncture from the valve tearing from the tube, so it's worth adjusting.... I've had such problem in my off roader before when running low pressures.

UK Mark said:
It's looking good. I just noticed the valve on your front wheel is at a slight angle. If you deflate the tube, tap your tyre in what would be a reverse rotation and it will correct the valve. Just blow it back up then.

You can get a puncture from the valve tearing from the tube, so it's worth adjusting.... I've had such problem in my off roader before when running low pressures.

Thanks Mark.

I wasn't overly happy when I picked up the wheels after the tyres were fitted as the valve is indeed slightly off (not as much as the image shows though). Let's hope deflation and a tap around will correct it?

This bike will be more up kerb than off road ;D

beachcomber said:
Don't you just love those "one off" items ..... and friends who can make them !!

As he's a complete spanner I regard him as an essential tool haha! Everyone needs a tame turner.

I should catalogue his work as he's done a few cool bits for the Beetle as well.

Bike - Stepped shock spacers, fork brace mount spacers, rev counter plug.
Bug - Shock spacers, firewall mounting spacers and domed fixing nuts, oil breather outlet plug (s/s & Delrin).

Progress today...tank fits, speedo mounted, battery charged and it fired up.

More details in the thread, link down VVV there.

Remember the negative vibe at the start of this build ??? well you got thru all that and built a great looking one off bike all your own hard graft n idea's .I love it mate "ride with pride" you deserve it !

yorkie350 said:
Remember the negative vibe at the start of this build ??? well you got thru all that and built a great looking one off bike all your own hard graft n idea's .I love it mate "ride with pride" you deserve it !

I had to reread my 'update' thread...and remember that post now haha! Thank you yorkie, I'm feeling a bit chuffed today I have to say :D

Back
Top Bottom