www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero  (Read 23370 times)

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
Re: KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero
« Reply #255 on: Mar 30, 2017, 19:56:37 »
Ahh, a project may always be a project and you'll always have many. Luckily you have that gas ang go bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #256 on: Mar 31, 2017, 11:34:39 »
I took a que off of Beachcomber and sourced a set of empty cases at a heck of a deal shipped.  I also have a set of jugs and heads coming.  Having a mock up motor made a ton of sense to me.  I needed both of my full motors on the bench to finish mix/matching to get the one I'll run.  This way maybe getting the engine and chassis ready won't stop me from figuring out rear set linkage, exhaust, etc.. 

CC,

that's a hangover from my Drag Racing days with V8 s !!

Rather than throw away grenaded engines I kept them less innards for set ups and "whatifs".

I'm now going a stage further and obtained a non V5 [non - titled ] frame so I can try out / duplicate any set ups on the bench first without worrying about scratching paint / getting a hernia !!
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #257 on: Apr 04, 2017, 18:09:28 »
Ahh, a project may always be a project and you'll always have many. Luckily you have that gas and go bike.

Truth.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #258 on: Apr 15, 2017, 07:46:17 »
CC - alternative forks - any ideas ?

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #259 on: Apr 15, 2017, 21:40:39 »
CC - alternative forks - any ideas ?

I picked up a KZ1000 rolling chassis a bit ago and I'm using the forks and mag wheels from it.  Same diameter, I'm going to use the 750 trees and the 1000 forks are a bit of an upgrade, dual disc.  Other than that, my thoughts head towards a nice USD fork off something much newer.   What were you thinking BC?

--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #260 on: Apr 15, 2017, 21:52:27 »
CC,

that's a hangover from my Drag Racing days with V8 s !!

Rather than throw away grenaded engines I kept them less innards for set ups and "whatifs".

I'm now going a stage further and obtained a non V5 [non - titled ] frame so I can try out / duplicate any set ups on the bench first without worrying about scratching paint / getting a hernia !!

Anyone who had ever built hotrods or racers agree with you 100%.
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
75 Honda CL 360 "Scrambled"
72 Honda SL350 desert sled it would make Steve McQueen puke!
3 Assorted Honda CL 72 scramblers in a million pieces
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell
1978 Yamaha Chappy 80 burning up the highway
Cut my motor in half Sportster to Shortster

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #261 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:52:52 »
I picked up a KZ1000 rolling chassis a bit ago and I'm using the forks and mag wheels from it.  Same diameter, I'm going to use the 750 trees and the 1000 forks are a bit of an upgrade, dual disc.  Other than that, my thoughts head towards a nice USD fork off something much newer.   What were you thinking BC?

CC,

It looks like I will be building TWO bikes now. I can't face another year [ running out of time !! ] without a bike on the road.

Realistically the Glemseck project is probably 12 months away - funds mainly as I do not want to cut corners.

However , the original Tangerine Dream project is pretty well there funding wise - with milder approach engine wise. Just the Weber conversion, high level pipes and with the cosmetics already pictured I have virtually everything I need.

The Glemseck bike is definitely morphing into a bit of a dual purpose race / road machine, and as much as I would like another set of Grimeca hubs etc, I can't afford it - so that means either swap wheels back and forth [ ! ], or make a decision as to which bike gets the Grimeca / Borranis and the "something else" for the other !

I do have a spare frame / swingarm coming courtesy of Kaptain Kwack over on the Lonesome Twin forum - in addition to a late engine complete with twin plug head [ eventually ! ] - well actually 4 plug, but you know what I mean !

So the plan is to move the "TD" off the bench and on to the build ramp and put the Glemseck project on the bench - but just as a frame / engine combo to set up the oil cooler. external oil pump, turbo, Nitrous etc.

That's where the alternate fork enquiry comes in. KZ 750 Twin parts are ferociously expensive here in the UK - and even with KK's sympathetic pricing - still adds too much to my meagre funding pot.

I'm not really a fan of rear discs - aesthetically, and in truth I very rarely use a rear brake !

So that's my dilemma I guess, I would love to have one last 60's style Cafer Racer, but the Flat Tracker can be finished that much sooner.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #262 on: Apr 17, 2017, 16:23:16 »
CC,
It looks like I will be building TWO bikes now. I can't face another year [ running out of time !! ] without a bike on the road.

That's where the alternate fork enquiry comes in. KZ 750 Twin parts are ferociously expensive here in the UK - and even with KK's sympathetic pricing - still adds too much to my meagre funding pot.

Yeah, it's tough, I'm building two bikes at the moment as well.  One always takes resources from the other no matter which one you are talking about.  It's why I keep my ZRX "on the road" and my chopper will be back on the road soon too.  Having something to ride keeps me motivated.

I have my 750 forks that I likely won't be using, if you are interested send me a pm.  They are currently disassembled but in good shape. 
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #263 on: Apr 19, 2017, 16:57:32 »
Geez, a page without a pic.....  I'm getting less fond of my ugly seat.  I love the shape but it's still a mess that I don't know if I want to use it.  I've been sheepishly looking at airtech streamlining vintage seats.

--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline doc_rot

• Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #264 on: Apr 19, 2017, 20:11:23 »
Airtech stuff is very nice for a reasonable price. Guess it depends how much you value your time. It will take a lot of time to whip that tail into shape.
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #265 on: Apr 20, 2017, 11:24:10 »
Airtech does make some quality stuff.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #266 on: Apr 21, 2017, 13:30:17 »
Yeah..... so I talked to Walt at Airtech.  Super nice and helpful guy.  I have this seat on order, about two weeks out.   I mentioned I'm interested in his stuff for my YZF750 project he got excited and we talked about those for awhile too.  The 96' 750SP plastics they make are sweet. 
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #267 on: Apr 21, 2017, 14:06:00 »
Dude that looks like the seat you made.

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #268 on: Apr 21, 2017, 16:12:56 »
Dude that looks like the seat you made.

It's the closest shape I liked that will fit my frame.  AdvCo is coming by my place next weekend.  He'll get to laugh at my attempt and maybe even show me how to fix it.  I have the stuff to start over and try again which I'd like to do later but the airtech seat is now plan A. 
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2017, 16:15:16 by canyoncarver »
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #269 on: Apr 21, 2017, 16:49:38 »
The only thing that I've heard is that the airtech stuff might take a little more prep prior to painting but that's it. Still better than starting from scratch.