1969 Honda CD175 ***TONS of PICS***

i64X

Here's a little project log (so far)...

Alright, so I've been taking a lot of pictures. It's easier to take pictures sometimes than it is to prop up a camera and take video (and then edit video), so this is going to be a split forum thread + YouTube video series in regards to the restoration / customization of my 1969 Honda CD175.

If you want to see the first filmed video in the series, and an intro to the bike, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm3XaddxXpY

-----------

This is the bike when I got it home. This is basically where the video starts...

01.JPG

First thing I brought inside after the disassemble in the video were the sides of the tank. These are obviously very prominent and I wanted to make sure I could clean them up well.

I tried the "aluminum foil and water" trick, and that got almost everything off. I then hit them up with some chrome polish and they look pretty good now.

I"m not sure if I'm going to get them re-chromed or not, since they do have some pitting and some scratches that I wasn't able to get rid of.

Before:

02.JPG

After:

03.JPG

That was night 1. Night 2 I removed the front wheel and brought that in.

I bought one of those Powerball Minis and some Mothers aluminum polish, and decided to go to town with that. It did a really good job.

04.JPG

05.JPG

I didn't like all of the areas of the hub that I couldn't reach with the spokes on, and my front tire needed to be replaced anyway (it was the original and was cracking all over), so I just decided to disassemble the whole wheel so I could clean everything properly. Wasn't too bad of a job.

06.JPG

All of the spokes came off easily and aren't rusted or anything, so I'm going to re-use them. As you can see they're kinda dingy though.

07.JPG

So I have them sitting in a little carb cleaner bath and that seems to be working really well. If I can't get them to 100% of their former glory, I'm going to paint them black.

08.JPG

The visible part of the rim is in extremely excellent shape. No pitting, rust, or flaking of the chrome. As you can imagine the inside of the rim was a little bit worse just because of what gets trapped in there under the tube and what not.

09.JPG

Spokes come out of the carb cleaner bath...

10.JPG

They are super clean and smooth now, but they are stainless and not chrome, so they aren't super shiny. They are the original ones as far as I can tell, and rather than spend over $100 shipped for some aftermarket ones from Taiwan I decided to paint these. I covered the threads with the nuts, painted them, waited a couple hours, flipped them, and then coated them again. I'll wait a day or so for them to dry completely and hit them with a coat of clear to protect them.

11.JPG

In other news, I was able to get that rim cleaned up really well. :)

12.JPG

I'm going to polish the aluminum on the outside of the hub as best I can, but inside the hub is a different story. I scrubbed on it for a while, and though it came clean, it's nearly impossible to get any tool that I can use to buff with in there to clean it up. Even if I was able to it'd be impossible to clean with the spokes on later. Result? masked the parts I was able to polish on both sides of the hub and hit the middle with some wheel paint. When it dries, I'll hit it with some clear.

13.JPG

I worked on getting all of the electrical pulled out of the bike... which revealed some less than awesome things. I'll get to that later...

I also worked on re-lacing my wheel, which turned out pretty great. I need to build a rig to true the rim still, and pick up a spoke wrench, so for now it's just laced and waiting. I was referred to a local place that works on mopeds, stocks a lot of equipment. They have Shinko SR714's in stock, along with tubes and tire strips, so when I get the rear wheel looking like this front wheel I'll probably just take them both to them, have them true the wheels for me, and install the strips/tubes/tires.

14.JPG

Removing the electrical involved removing the handlebars and handlebar controls. Getting the electrical components out of the handlebars was a pain in the arse. The wires are all so stiff, and the at one time plastic sheathing that goes around them is rock hard. Some of it I was able to just grab with my hand and squeeze and it broke apart. Ugh.

I was able to get the whole harness off/out without cutting anything.

15.JPG

17.JPG

A majority of the harness, including the entire coil and the voltage regulator are inside the frame under where the tank goes. Also in there at one point lived a mouse, because I found remnants of his home... and his poop. :p He also at one point thought it'd be fun to snack on this..

16.JPG

Just some thoughts on the harness... I'm not going to be re-using it. Wiring in this bike is simple enough to the point that I'm just going to make my own harness when the time comes to put the bike back together. A lot of these components will be replaced anyway, since I will be converting the bike to 12V. The handlebar controls are also pretty rough. One of them is missing the little black square of plastic for the selector switch, and both are pretty dingy inside. I'm thinking that the items that I remove from this bike and don't re-use, since these bikes are hard to find in the US, I'll put on this forum for sale or on eBay to help someone else out who is restoring one to 100% factory condition.

That being said, I don't think I'm going to go that route. Originally that's what I wanted to do, but I'm not doing all of this to make a profit on the bike or to make it some sort of historic time piece. I want to build it to enjoy and ride, so reliability is of the utmost importance to me. Likely what I'll do is find some modern controls for the headlights, blinkers, etc.with a retro LOOK but are modern inside. I'd prefer to get them off of a name brand bike vs some random OTS China controls on eBay or something. I'm thinking maybe Triumph would be ideal, or maybe look at the controls from a Yamaha SR400 or some other modern retro-throwback bike, but I haven't looked yet.

I'm also not going to use the original handlebars, so I won't be using the original throttle tube due to the fact that the throttle mechanism is inside the bars, which I didn't know until I pulled that off.

I would like to use the original speedo though, which looks like it might be a problem. The unit itself will be fine after I clean it up, but at some point in time some genius decided it'd be a good idea to use caulk to affix it to the headlight bucket. :-/

18.JPG

The headlight bucket is also cracked next to the mount (which I knew and mentioned before), but upon removing it I also found a large chunk missing that must have broken off at some point. :-/

19.JPG

20.JPG

Decided to focus on getting the rear end apart. First thing to come off was the giant rear fender, which I found out is actually plastic on this model. Mine is in really good shape, with no cracks or anything. Here's the bike with it on...

21.JPG

And here it is with the fender off...

22.JPG

I have to say, it's a lot cleaner looking without that huge rear fender.

The rest of the rear end came off pretty easy as well. Everything is a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Equally as simple as a Honda CRF50 dirtbike that I classed up a few years ago. Aside from the way the suspension and swing arm attaches, it was almost 100% like the CRF50.

23.JPG

Once the rear end was off, I could finally divorce the engine from the frame. 4 bolts and that was out... pretty simple.

24.JPG

I disassembled the triple tree and pulled the front forks out, and then separated all of the parts that I'm going to need to have media blasted and powder coated.

I got a quote from a local guy for $350 to do all of this stuff. I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. I have a quote request out to another guy but I haven't heard back yet.

Here's all of the stuff that will need to be done:

25.JPG

In the mean time, I started cleaning my pipes up. :)

26.JPG

I started cleaning up the front forks. Luckily the seals look good and they aren't leaking or anything, so that's great. Here's a little before and after on one of those after I got it finished.

27.JPG

I started pulling random aluminum covers and getting them all polished up. I learned that some of them had been painted at one point, so that required a lot of extra labor...

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

I was finally able to make an appointment with my powder coater. He's going to media blast and coat everything in the pic below.

I ended up changing my mind on color when I went there, after seeing some of his samples. I was just going to go with a gloss black like the bike came with stock, but instead of that decided on a SWEET looking shall-remain-secret (for now) color that will use a silver metallic with a flake as a base coat and then a candy coat over that. It cost a little more since each of the parts has to be sprayed and baked twice, but it'll be so worth it.

Away these go. Hopefully I'll get them back inside a couple of weeks...

32.JPG

My new headlight bucket came in, along with the rubber ring for my stock gauge. I was able to get all of that black gunk off the gauge with a combination of a razor blade and some "Goo Gone." It worked out well. I'm excited that I can use the stock gauge, since it has the original odometer and everything in it.

33.JPG

34.JPG

I found a NOS pair of the smaller side engine covers vs my huge ones. Price was good enough to where I didn't want to lose them, so I'm hoping they fit and I don't have to modify them to make them fit. Fingers crossed.

I got the back wheel all apart - spokes all came off without any problems, which was one thing I was worried about. The chrome hoop on the back wheel isn't as nice as the front wheel, but it's not horrible. I need to get some brake parts cleaner today so I can clean up the rear hub and front and rear drum assemblies and get all of those things polished up. Rear spokes and spoke nuts are sitting in a parts cleaner bath right now and I plan on getting those painted tonight.

36.JPG

37.JPG

My rim strips and tires are in, so I'm just waiting on my tubes so I can take everything in and have the wheels trued and have tires mounted. I'm excited that all of that will be done before I get my powder coated pieces back. I might have a rolling chassis here within the next couple of weeks!

The pile of shiny parts is getting bigger. :)

35.JPG

Still working on getting the rear wheel cleaned up so I can get those assembled. I got the front brake all cleaned up.

Front drum before and after...

38.JPG

39.JPG

Here are before and afters of the rear wheel...

40.JPG

41.JPG

This one was taken after I clocked the snap ring correctly. Stock, the rear wheel came with a large plastic cap over this hub. I polished mine though and it's looking awesome, so I think I'm going to leave the giant plastic thing off. It didn't serve any obvious purpose other than just looks, so I don't think the bike will miss it.

There are also no nuts yet... that's because I somehow missed these when I went to the store today (grr), and I didn't want to put the stockers back on. I'll pick up some stainless or (preferably) chrome ones tomorrow when I'm out and about to throw on.

41a.JPG

A lot of this will be hidden under the rear chain guard, but I don't care. I don't want to put a single nut, bolt, or bracket back on this bike that isn't clean. Also, as a result, I went to the hardware store today and found either stainless or chrome (chrome was preferable) nuts/bolts to replace all of the dingy stock stuff. This is really prevalent when it comes to things like the triple tree, which are in view first and foremost when the bike is assembled.

Here are before/after shots of that...

42.JPG

43.JPG

44.JPG

44a.JPG

If you look close you'll see that the large nut in the middle is not in the best condition. It was heavily pitted and scratched. I cleaned it up as best I could, but it's not good enough. This is right in front of your face when you sit on the bike, so I want it to be perfect. I'll be replacing it before I call the bike "done."

Here's a shot of my front and rear wheels finished. These will be going in to get trued and get the tubes/tires mounted.

45.JPG

More stuff arrived. The remaining components of the 12V conversion from Sparck Moto, my coil, 12V LEDs for the cluster, LED flasher kit, rear swing arm bushings, and the rear suspension.

46.JPG

Wheels and tires ready to go!

47.JPG

Just waiting on powder coat dude...

To be continued!

Mega. Definitely should get some sort of reward for the most progress in a single post. Looking forward to seeing more :)

We just got Tim Horton's around here a couple years ago. I just went through all of these pics to try to find out where you saw a TH cup and I couldn't find one. haha. I haven't been there in forever.

The red thing with the barcode in the pics with the sprocket is a tin of Costal all purpose grease. :)

And I thought the only decent thing to come out of Canada was the Trailer Park Boys.
Rock on, I'm in.

I actually live in Michigan, but I have seen Trailer Park Boys on Netflix and it's hilarious. All of my friends that actually are from Canada hate it. Haha. I think they see it as a disgrace to their country. Personally I'd much rather have Trailer Park Boys than Kanye West so I can't see what they're on about.

Dirty engine. Time to clean it up a little bit. I didn't have a ton of cleaner spray left over, and I used all of it.

48.JPG

Not perfect, but a lot better.

49.JPG

50.JPG

I'm converting the bike from 6V to 12V, so I need to replace the stator anyway. I also wanted to polish these covers and the engine mount. Taking these off resulted in me ordering a new engine gasket kit. I also ordered a new engine screw kit since someone messed up a lot of the screws really bad. (The two on the points cover were exceptionally jacked up).

51.JPG

These were easy to clean up. I really like the way all of them turned out. I sanded out a lot of the ugly scratches, but I Left some of the deeper gouges (under the M on "Made") for a couple of reasons - first, I didn't want to end up with flat spots, and second, it adds to the character of the bike. This thing has been through 50 years of who knows what, so she's earned her beauty marks. :)

52.JPG

This is the last thing I cleaned up this weekend, and it wore me out pretty quick (which is why I stopped polishing things). Lots of grime, and tons of odd surfaces that are impossible to sand or even get in to with fingers. It didn't polish up as good as I'd like it to, so I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing with it. It might not be a HUGE deal, since it's mostly under the tank and won't be seen anyway, BUT I promised myself I wasn't going to put anything back on this bike that I wasn't happy with.

53.JPG

54.JPG

Got a call from the powder coat guy... my parts will be done today! He sent me a preview of the silver base. Candy is going over it and I can go pick them up at 4. STOKED!

55.JPG

56.JPG

Slow down. You are making everyone look bad on here. This is a union shop so you need to slow to the slowest guy- Tim the moderator.

Got some more pics to put up, but I'd like to get them on a second page. Every time someone views this page it costs me a TON of bandwidth. ;D

Got everything back! I had to take my swing arm to a local shop to have them press in the new bearings. I didn't know I couldn't do that myself with a mallet. Tried and failed. Oh well...

More new nuts and bolts from the hardware store. I got a new large nut for the triple tree too. That nasty old one was killing me.

57.JPG

I threw my swing arm on the bike, and assembled the front end (pics of that later). I wanted to put the rear wheel and all of the rear brake stuffs back on, so I had to do some cleaning...

Here's the dirty stuff...

58.JPG

Pay special attention to this... It'll be important later.

59.JPG

Here's the stuff all cleaned up. Some of it will end up seeing paint (the bracket, the springs so they don't run again, etc.

60.JPG

This is a test for how I'm going to wrap up the wiring harness on the bike when I rebuild it. No electrical tape or 50 year old hard plastic loom for me... All heat shrink and mesh stuff. Proper. :)

61.JPG

My new 12V stator from a CL175 came in the mail today. It's cleaner than it looked in the pics taken buy the guy I bought it from. He guaranteed it was pulled from a working bike and that it works, so hopefully I'll find that out soon.

62.JPG

And I'll leave you with the rear end all assembled. Also put the forks and wheel on the front and got the handlebars on.

63.JPG

64.JPG

65.JPG

66.JPG

Really loving your work ethic.

Taking inspiration from this post for my project ('82 Honda CB125s) that I should be able to start working on mid-April. Now I'm wondering if maybe I can find a CD175 in my area and affix the engine onto my frame...or just use what I have done with the CB as a donor bike for a 2 cyl 175. They are almost identical parts wise...

Back
Top Bottom