www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1st Build--79' Suzuki GS550  (Read 2856 times)

Offline k.graham

Re: 1st Build--79' Suzuki GS550
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 13:41:28 »
You may have already done this, and if you've spent any time over at the GSResources forum then I'm sure you already know, but if you have your carbs off, you should definitely replace your intake O-rings and check out all your intake boots for any potential leakage. These bikes can and will run with a leak, but will cause a lean condition robbing you of power and shaving years off the life of your engine. The obvious sign of this will be that your bike idles pretty high once it warms up. I had this with my 550 and once dealt with it immediately improved the performance. Trying to balance carbs before you're sure there are no leaks could prove to be very futile and have you chasing your tail.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline k.graham

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 13:53:46 »
As for your front end upgrade, I'm pretty sure you need different forks to run dual disks. At least mine does, and I've got the '79 gs550e. The wheels easily bolt on another disk, but you need a spot on your fork leg to mount the brake housing. I do know there are some models that have those mount points on both sides, but not all of them. I also hear that swapping out for progressive springs up front show pretty substantial improvements from the stock springs, and it's really easy to do. Might as well do the fork seals while you have it apart if you decide to go to the trouble.

Offline Jonny_C

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 12:06:35 »
Wow!  To go from the first pictures to the latest pictures, that's an amazing improvement.  It's so clean!

Offline JamiT

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 13:00:44 »
K.Graham-- Thanks a lot for the pointers man! I'll definitely go ahead and invest a little money on intake boots and then do some rebalancing in the carbs. With the front end upgrade, it looks like Im going to find a compatible front end and swap. And I agree on the Progressive route too. A buddy of mine has Progressive on front and rear. Huge difference!

Offline JamiT

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 13:01:34 »
Jonny_C  Thanks my friend. Im glad slow progress is still progress!