Help swapping ignition switch cb750

jinsonphoto

Hey guys! Have a 78 cb750 that I just switched from clubmans to clip-ons and now want to relocate the ignition. Because my bike is a 78 have the bigger ignition with the lock. Because of the size and the lock it won't fit well any other place I want to put it. I went ahead and purchase a different cb750 ignition switch (pictured below) and I wanted to see if any of you could explain how to wire it? Any help would be appreciated! I'm sure somebody on here has dealt with this same issue.

1debab05457c3b496e76ca57c1b57bd5.jpg
e2465740e13549c21bcb66a397c3b333.jpg
858dc5e214982f7855a444ae4ba06e9c.jpg
4a0568f6c0d0d6e18d9936fcca3b6c95.jpg

The ignition switch on the bike is what I want to swap with the new emgo ignition switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a meter?

Check for continuity between each set of wires in the 'off' and in the 'on' position.

DohcBikes,
I do have a meter, but I actually am not sure how to do that or what that means. But I can find out how to do that. What will that tell me? Or will understand that once I learn about continuity?

It will tell you which wires are connected in which positions, ruling out any possibility of a mistake when connecting the wires.

Post a pic of your meter.

Continuity simply means there is a conection being made between the wires inside the switch.

Turn the dial to the position that shows these symbols

conticon3.jpg

Connect one meter lead (either red or black) to any slot in the ign. plug, and the other to any other slot. Be sure the leads are touching the connector inside the plug. You might need to go from the backside.

If there is continuity between the two you selected in the current keyswitch position (on or off), your meter will make an audible beep. I there is not, it wont.

Write down your results, which two you tested together, and what position the switch was in. Continue until you have exhausted all combinations.

Dohc thanks for your your help. However I'm wondering if my multi meter is messed up because it won't beep at all even if I touch the leads together or even on a single wire. Any ideas?

You may have a blown fuse in your meter. It clearly has the icon for an audible tone, so when you touch the leads together, it either beeps or its malfunctioning.

To check the fuses in your meter, you will need to take it apart. You wouldnt believe how many people are using meters with blown fuses.

Oh wow that's great because I was definitely not looking forward to buying a new one. Thanks! I'll report back.

So just to be clear I'm going out one lead in the new switch and the other lead in the original harness on the bike. And keep trying until I get continuity for each wire? Write down my findings and that will be how I connect it. Or am I confused.

I read your instructions again and I think I'm doing it wrong. Did your instructions involve the new switch at all?

jinsonphoto said:
I read your instructions again and I think I'm doing it wrong. Did your instructions involve the new switch at all?

ONLY the new switch. We are trying to make a diagram for it from scratch.

Looks like Honda colors on that ignition switch.

Red, black, brown, and brown/white, right?

Sonreir I think you are right. Here is a pic of the wires in the new switch
95cc8921bba676b338335ff872e848ea.jpg

Although I'm pretty sure the "locking" switch harness that's on my 78 doesn't match up to this harness. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Red is going to be main power from the battery/fuse box. Black is switched power. Brown and brown/white are for the tail light and gauge lights.

All the colors should match up with what's coming from the harness.

Back
Top Bottom