Tires for a '72 Honda: Firestone? Battlax? Avons?

crazypj said:
Just about any modern tyre will be a vast improvement over the original 'super sliders'
You'll want a 90/90x18 front and a 100/90x18 rear if your using stock rims although a 110/90 rear is also acceptable.
You can fit larger sizes but it really isn't recommended and can cause handling problems. Personally, I fit either WM2 or WM3 front rim and a WM3 rear rim to (mostly ;) ) stock hubs

Ive heard Kenda tires are amazing. Long time riders rave about these tires. And they are relatively cheap.

sounds like a hint of common sense and reasoning are showing through. I almost never intend to ride in the rain, but I do. I never intend to have to make an emergency turn or maneuver, but I do. You cant see tires unless your stopped anyways. On your 350f or 750 (or whatever you have now) firestones are a dangerous waste on that bike. IMHO

hurco550 said:
sounds like a hint of common sense and reasoning are showing through. I almost never intend to ride in the rain, but I do. I never intend to have to make an emergency turn or maneuver, but I do. You cant see tires unless your stopped anyways. On your 350f or 750 (or whatever you have now) firestones are a dangerous waste on that bike. IMHO

the 750 im not going to ride until I master the 350F. I too have no intention of riding in the rain, just like I dont drive my vintage cars in the rain. I just dont deal with that at all, unless I get caught in it.

And yeah, sense has sunk in. You see cool guys on cool bikes and you want to ride one and be one (though Ive been cool all my life, so they say!) . You dont think about safety, practicality etc. Then the reality sets in and you use your brain. Thats what happened to me. No one looks cool with broken bones, road rash or missing limbs. My approach is way different now.

Kenda makes a 90/90-18 and a 100/90-18 (100 is a Challenger, I think the 90 is a Cruiser?) I have Kendas on my '71 and like them a lot, although people really do love the Avons too.

krafty said:
Kenda makes a 90/90-18 and a 100/90-18 (100 is a Challenger, I think the 90 is a Cruiser?) I have Kendas on my '71 and like them a lot, although people really do love the Avons too.

I was reading reviews about Kendas and a lot of ppl who had Avons actually switched. Hmmmm. And yeah I am looking at the Cruisers. Are they OK for my Honda vs Challengers, etc?

First, a 4.00 will fit the frame but rim is way too narrow, you wouldn't put 15" wide drag tyres on a 6" wide rim so why do you think it would be a good idea to fit 4" on a rim just over inch and half wide? Second, pretty sure a lot of people switch to Kenda because they don't use AVON's hard enough to need the extra grip (even in panic situations)

crazypj said:
First, a 4.00 will fit the frame but rim is way too narrow, you wouldn't put 15" wide drag tyres on a 6" wide rim so why do you think it would be a good idea to fit 4" on a rim just over inch and half wide? Second, pretty sure a lot of people switch to Kenda because they don't use AVON's hard enough to need the extra grip (even in panic situations)

My bike is in the shop. Its been modified and I just asked the dude who is helping me with it, about front fender clearance, etc and he told me (since he has the bike in hand) that a 4.00 x 18 will fit the rear no probs, and a 3.50 x 18 will fit the front no probs. I wound up getting shinko 712's

WildeJ said:
My bike is in the shop. Its been modified and I just asked the dude who is helping me with it, about front fender clearance, etc and he told me (since he has the bike in hand) that a 4.00 x 18 will fit the rear no probs, and a 3.50 x 18 will fit the front no probs. I wound up getting shinko 712's
Who gives a a shit if he has the bike in hand, he's obviously stupid. If you ordered a 4.00 for the rear and a 3.50 for the front they're too wide for the wheels and you need to re-order

tire_filament_chart.png

^ see that chart? It tells you that your 3.50 is too wide for a 1.6 rim, and that your 4.00 is too wide for a 1.85 rim.

Now, you can put those tires on it, they will mount, but know that you are going against manufacturers recommendations, and that your bike will lose handling capability, and that it makes your motorcycle more dangerous to ride.

DohcBikes said:
^ see that chart? It tells you that your 3.50 is too wide for a 1.6 rim, and that your 4.00 is too wide for a 1.85 rim.

Now, you can put those tires on it, they will mount, but know that you are going against manufacturers recommendations, and that your bike will lose handling capability, and that it makes your motorcycle more dangerous to ride.

It will be fine man. Plus it will float if it flash floods. With low psi it will even do well in the snow. You get to caught up on little things like "handling" and "safety"

37dbcf1d363b8f9241beff6e36e56a9b.jpg

DohcBikes said:

Understand, I didnt decide to go against OEM specs. This is what was suggested to me. So, how can i say this tactfully, this is not a case of me being headstrong and going against what is appropriate, so no need to pin me to the wall. If the change is too drastic I'll just change to whats closer to OEM. Not a big deal

Ill tell you what I got.
100/90 18 for the front
110/90 18 for the rear.

The original sizes are
3.00 18 front
3.50 18 rear

so what are the consequences if I decide to just ride with these, pardon the pun.
lets say I decide not to

It will be harder to turn, to lean, and there is a possibility of the tire peeling off the rim if you ride it really hard. Also, large tires sap power, there is no practical reason to run wider tires unless your bike has the hp to spin stock tires. Yours doesnt.

You are on the edge of acceptable. However as a professional tech I cannot condone the use of a product that has the potential to cause you injury or a loss of performance.

DohcBikes said:
It will be harder to turn, to lean, and there is a possibility of the tire peeling off the rim if you ride it really hard. Also, large tires sap power, there is no practical reason to run wider tires unless your bike has the hp to spin stock tires. Yours doesnt.

You are on the edge of acceptable. However as a professional tech I cannot condone the use of a product that has the potential to cause you injury or a loss of performance.

Hmmm. Im going to go with what you say. Those tires are going back! Thanks again for your help. I had no idea youre an actual tech guy. I can now see why you are so passionate about safety.

Unless you use lower pressure, the bike will be much easier to drop into corners with wider tyres fitted.
They get much taller with weird bulging sidewalls.
Going a 1/2" oversize can give better tyre footprint when leaned way over, but, the downside is 'strange' handling and very high tyre wear.
If your road racing, it isn't so much of an issue but on the street -not a good idea although way too many people do it and say it's 'FINE' (Fucked, Insecure, Exhausted) ;D
Going more than 1.5" oversize probably isn't the best idea so swapping to a more 'normal width' should help you a lot (particularly as you seem to be a fairly new rider)

crazypj said:
Unless you use lower pressure, the bike will be much easier to drop into corners with wider tyres fitted.
They get much taller with weird bulging sidewalls.
Going a 1/2" oversize can give better tyre footprint when leaned way over, but, the downside is 'strange' handling and very high tyre wear.
If your road racing, it isn't so much of an issue but on the street -not a good idea although way too many people do it and say it's 'FINE' (Fucked, Insecure, Exhausted) ;D
Going more than 1.5" oversize probably isn't the best idea so swapping to a more 'normal width' should help you a lot (particularly as you seem to be a fairly new rider)

So, just to clarify, youre saying Im more likely to drop (fall down on) the bike in corners with wider tires than OEM? Just want to be sure what youre saying

He is saying it will be easier to get low in a corner but i have to respectfully disagree in this particular case based on several factors.

It's ok though pj knows his shit and we still sometimes disagree. If he proves me wrong on a point now and then it's because of real life experience and that, I can handle. I'm not however going to debate crossection and contact patch while in a lean, etc. because the argument is moot, based on the fact that he is also saying not to go with the sizes you have ordered.

Continue on your new found path of mistake acceptance and end up with a really fun, functional and managable motorcycle.

DohcBikes said:
Continue on your new found path of mistake acceptance and end up with a really fun, functional and managable motorcycle.

Yep. That is what I want. Manageable and safe!

Back
Top Bottom