74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

When static timing, points "open" at F mark correct?

May or may not be a silly question to ask.

You're not answering my questions. :-\ At what RPM are you setting your idle with a gun? Is there preload on your advancer springs at idle or at rest? If you're springs are stretched, which happens when they get old, you can lose up to 10 degrees or so of advance, which is 1/3 of your total advance.

So, with the timing light on and bike idling, this is where the points plate is when the F mark lines up with the index mark.

f513ac8ef5feabadfa6ee974b5fa6b7a.jpg

For reference, when I set static timing the hash mark on the points plate was pretty close to lining up with the mark on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

advCo said:
So, with the timing light on and bike idling, this is where the points plate is when the F mark lines up with the index mark.

f513ac8ef5feabadfa6ee974b5fa6b7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
That's retarded not advanced. As you move toward the timing mark (right) you're advancing it.

Re-check static. Advancer is mechanically locked to the cam w a pin or key or something? So, it cant slip on cam.

That's way too retarded on the timing. If anything, you should be slightly on the other side of the mark.

trek97 said:
Re-check static. Advancer is mechanically locked to the cam w a pin or key or something? So, it cant slip on cam.

Yep the points plate and advancer is almost identical to my 360 just with one less point. Gap is smack in the middle of spec.

I know its too retarded. But that is what the timing light is telling me. Which is why I think that something's up.

Check your advancer springs. There should be pre-load on them. If they're stretched, you're losing advance and thus bogging and losing power. It can also cause hard starts and rough idle.

advCo said:
The advance setting on the timing light should be at Zero, yes?

Sorry I cant answer this. My timing light doesnt have that feature. Its older than you are.

forget all this "ignition" crap, cut your losses and drop a diesel klr lump in it and call it done.

your welcome

Buy an old two stroke so you just don't deal with timing chains, valves, or advancers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irk miller said:
Check your advancer springs. There should be pre-load on them. If they're stretched, you're losing advance and thus bogging and losing power. It can also cause hard starts and rough idle.

I'm thinking this may be where my problem lies. I'll pull the advancer out of the parts motor bin and compare.

If I grab the advancer lobe on the cam with my fingers and try to rotate it there is some slop there.

https://youtu.be/osk6puKlml0

There's not enough tension from the springs. I don't think they're sold as an individual part, though.

I took the advancer off the parts motor, it's a different design with different springs. Seized, going to rebuild and try swapping it on.

c91dde64f97b636133b2ce9866f66fca.jpg

I've gotten away with removing a coil- basically cutting off the pigtail and pulling one coil to become the pigtail to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom