CrispyB550

Nice work, great looking project so far. Do you think that the front end internals will work as is - is there much weight difference between a stock 550 & the Aprilla?

Bootsey said:
Nice work, great looking project so far. Do you think that the front end internals will work as is - is there much weight difference between a stock 550 & the Aprilla?

The chap I bought it from has had the springs changed for a heavier weight. I'll have to wait and see how it feels when it's all together.

After much procrastination and deliberating I've ordered all the switch gear, electrickery and wiring. Here's what I have on the way:

- Motogadget M-Unit V2
- Motogadget M-switch (The three button version)
- Motogadget M-Unit cable kit
- Motogadget break out box A
- Motogadget Motoscope Tiny with black bezel
- Antigravity Battery AG401

Wiring and electrics is the part of the build I was looking forward to the least and have minimal experience. I'm hoping my choices will help make the electrics as easy and smooth as possible.

Any hints and tips much appreciated ;)

Just stripped all the parts off the frame and given it a quick degrease and jet wash ready for the splash guard, exhaust bracket, steering stop and battery box properly TIG welded. Can't wait to have the frame all finished and solid so I can get it powder coated and looking all brand new. Motogadget bits have been dispatched and should be with me tomorrow or saturday.

Frame gonna look mint mate when it comes back from painters ,some nice little touches too ,love the HONDA splash guard , +1 with the wiring its always a "buzz" when its done out of the way ,always here to throw my two cents in if its needed , great progress so far keep it up mate

Dropped the frame off at my friends house to get the TIG torch waved over it. Decided to use 1 inch long stitch welds then leave a 1 inch gap. Looks sweet.....ran out of Argon gas half way through :'(

Hopefully get it back in the next few days then it's off to powder coat.

Great feeling when parts start coming in finished, definitely started the return journey to completion looking forward to more updates mates

looking nice man. excited to see it done. Thanks for sharing it!

Few piccies of some of the switchgear and electrics. Got two sets of the triple buttons, breakout box A and a wiring kit too. Really impressed with the quality of the Motogadget bits

13962688_10154442645439467_8819712294020022673_n.jpg

14055035_10154442645459467_3723612234524888099_n.jpg

14068118_10154442645509467_384085647537295253_n.jpg

MattCB750OT said:
Looking great!

Thanks MattCB750OT. I'm really enjoying the whole process of research, design, fabricating and building. I wish I'd done this when I first started thinking about it a couple of years ago.

Picking up the frame tomorrow ;D Can't wait to have it back in one solid piece. Then as soon as it's here I'll be dropping it off (as well as a few other bits and bobs such as motor mounts, spacers, swing arm etc) for powder coating. Also pulled my finger out and stripped the old tyres, sprocket and discs off the wheels adn have sent them off to SWWB to be given a fresh coat of gloss black and have the rims polished.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.

Progress has been a little slow with the CB550 rebuild in the last week or three but I've got a few major bits started. The wheels have been sent off to powder coat and have the edge of the rim polished, frame is complete as far as fabrication is concerned and tyres are on the way. I've decided to hold off powder coating the frame until the electrical loom is finalised. This will let me drill any holes in the frame prior to getting the powder coat. I'd hate to sip and bugger up the finish.

Also got an email from Dave at DM Engineering. The engine is well on the way to getting finished. Re-bore, soda blasted, top and bottom end cleaned and tolerances measured, new big end shells, main bearing shells, new gaskets all round, engine seal kit, primary drive chain, cam chain, oil filter bolt, oil filter, 'O' rings for the oil pump, cam chain guide blade and cam chain tensioner blade. I'm hoping to pop over and check out the progress.

Any advice on powder coat finish? I've always had things in the past coated in satin or gloss black. I am thinking about a textured finish this time. Anyone had a textured powder done on any parts or a frame?

textured-gunmetal-032.jpg

Texture2.jpg

PowderCoating008_zpsd591cf91.jpg

PowderCoating085.jpg

that texture looks cool, but also like a total pain to keep clean.

hurco550 said:
that texture looks cool, but also like a total pain to keep clean.

Not really Hurk... I had my whole road glide motor in crink and it washes right clean with S100, The glossy stuff gets water spots way worse. Black is a pain color but oh so rudely beautiful with the right red, gold or silver embellishments :-*

Tune-A-Fish said:
Not really Hurk... I had my whole road glide motor in crink and it washes right clean with S100, The glossy stuff gets water spots way worse. Black is a pain color but oh so rudely beautiful with the right red, gold or silver embellishments :-*
Cool, I wouldn't have guessed that. In that case I'd do it, if it looks good and cleans easy!

Got a sneak preview of the wheels yesterday. Blasted back to bare alloy, black satin powder, polished rim and then a protective layer of clear. Can't wait to see them in the flesh and mount up the Dunlop Mutants!

14238157_10154503842459467_3819290269549987491_n.jpg

14257578_10154500118804467_1245806623781382501_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom