www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 72 CB350 For the Daughter  (Read 17960 times)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 72 CB350 For the Daughter
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2016, 14:07:09 »
Cool, use whatever parts you need to get it done that's what we do here. I am guessing from the speed of the posts you have been at this a while and you are just getting it caught up to now. that's great for us ADD folks LOL.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Harsh

« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2016, 14:14:48 »
Yah I have been working on it in earnest since the middle of July.
2014 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 - Track Bike
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2016, 14:15:13 »
Thanks for the welcome.  Although I am not sure how to take the ::) though.  Is that good or a bad thing?  I didn't want to another spoked bike and for ease of keeping things clean since I am sure my daughter won't put in the time it takes to clean a spoked wheel I opted for the comstars.

Ha, I am pretty neutral on the Comstars, its your bike. I personally like the spoked look, but they are a pain in the arse and I regret it every time I refurbish a spoked wheel, so you've got the right idea there.  ;D
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline Harsh

« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2016, 20:11:34 »
I prefer the look of a spoked wheel as well, but for what I paid ($40) for the 400 front & rear end and the ease of cleaning the comstars I couldn't pass them up. 
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2016, 11:51:45 »
Been trying to figure out the wiring. I don't know why, but it kicks my butt every time. Which is sad since I am an electronics guy. I am not going to use the stock controls on this bike. I am going to use a set from a 2008 Suzuki SV650.

I made a post in the Simplified Wiring Diagrams thread about it.  There are just some things that are throwing me off about the wiring.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2016, 11:03:51 »
Dreams...my dreams last night annoyed me.  I am sure you are sitting on the edge of your seat wondering what they were about.  Well let me tell you.

Wiring diagrams...damned wiring diagrams.

If I don't figure that crap out soon I fear I may go insane.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2016, 21:16:42 »
I think I figured out my wiring woes.

Looking at most of the solutions to modify a stock reflector to accept an H4 bulb only one was acceptable to me.  While nicely done, that one still didnít look as simple as what I had in my head.  So here we are.  My idea will allow you to easily swap bulbs without having to undo copious amounts of safety wire and will leave you with a nice looking application.

I had a couple of spare headlights from previous builds that used H4 bulbs.  I got to thinking how were the mounts connected to the glass.  Well, there are just a few pressed in tabs that keep the parts together.  Before you remove the mount make sure you notate which direction is up on it.  You can easily press the tabs out and remove the mount.  Once done you now have a solid foundation for an H4 bulb.  If you donít have any spare lights I suggest going to a junk yard or your local auto parts store and pick up the cheapest light you can find that uses an H4 bulb.

My donor light.  I think it came from my CB750.  In the second pic you can see where the tabs were pushed out to remove the mount.

You donít need to worry about getting super close to the base because you are going to drill a bigger hole in it later.  The only reason I even removed the oem bulb was so that the hole saw wouldnít bottom out on it.  I have noticed a difference in diameter between the two mounts I have so whatever you have might be different as well.  Donít worry, it isnít a big deal as it is only important because it will dictate how big a hole you drill.  I suggest a drill press with a hole saw designed for cutting glass or ceramics.  It will bounce around less on the metal.  If you donít have a drill press recruit someone to help hold the headlight in place.  Use the rubber dust shield for the H4 bulb under the glass to help protect it and provide a somewhat stable base.  Get the hole saw centered over the hole that is left from the removal of the bulb.  Go slowly and keep the metal of the reflector cool.  If it gets hot it WILL cause the reflection material on the inside to bubble up.  Not a total loss if it does, but not perfect either.  Now due to hole saws not coming in every size imaginable size you may have to do a bit of trimming to the hole you just cut.  Go slowly as you only want the hole to be a tiny bit bigger than the mount.

Tab, this one had three of them.

Mount removed.

Bulb cut out.

Once you have the hole drilled, using emery cloth, a file, or whatever rough up couple an inch or so of the metal housing around the outside new hole.  You want to do this so whatever you choose to adhere the mount with will have some tooth to grab onto.  You will also want to remove any sharp edges from the newly cut hole.  More on that later.  After roughing up the area make sure to clean it thoroughly.  Now would be a great time to clean out the inside of the headlight as well.  Shake out any loose stuff that may have fallen inside.  I then take a rag with some denatured alcohol to wipe out the inside thoroughly.  Do not scrub too much against the reflector part you can remove it if you do.  If you didnít heed my advice about removing the sharp edges your fingers are probable cut up right about now.

Hole drilled and sanded.

I will say upfront that having to stop and take pictures during this stage greatly impacted my final product.  The two part putty starts to get hard quickly.  Because of that I wasnít able to get it as smooth as I would have liked.

I chose to use some two-part putty because it is more controllable than mixing some JB Weld or other epoxy.  You can get it in the plumbing section of just about any hardware store.  Make a nice ring around your hole.  Ensure you have the mount oriented correctly then press it into place.  Once pressed in, keeping pressure on it, stick your finger on the inside and smooth out whatever putty has oozed through.  You may and hopefully will have some putty come through the holes from the tabs that originally attached the mount to the reflector housing.  That is good as long as it doesnít impede bulb installation it will actually work to your advantage in helping to hold the mount onto the reflector housing.  Trim away any excess putty on the outside leaving a little bit to blend/feather it to the mount.  I keep pressure on it for a few minutes until I am satisfied it isnít going to move anymore.

Putty in place.  I did push it a little bit over the edge before pushing in the mount.

Smooth out the putty.

Putty trimmed.  You can see it oozing through the original mount hole where the tab was.

You should now have a good looking and solid H4 bulb mount.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2016, 21:18:31 by Harsh »
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2016, 08:44:04 »
Nice job.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Harsh

« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2016, 19:37:23 »
Did a little mocking up and frame de-tabbing.  The seat isn't as wide at the front as I had hoped so the rear seam of the tank is going to show and a bit more of the frame than I wanted.

The rear frame hump has to go.  I was hoping I would be able to keep it, but it just won't work with it there.

After cutting off the hoop, seat hinge points, and helmet hook.  I still need to cut off the seat latch, but it wasn't in my way for what I was doing today.

The rear of the seat hits the frame.

Thinking about adding a brace across the shock mount points.  It will also give me a place to attach some brackets to mount the rear of the seat and a place to attach the part of the fender.  Every thing in green tape I am thinking about cutting off.

2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Harsh

« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2016, 20:39:17 »
I was looking at the pic with the seat and thought that instead of cutting the frame straight down that if I were to cut it at an angle to match the seat it would look good.
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350