72 CB350 For the Daughter

Amazing so far! Are you, by chance, considering adoption? 32 year-old male, here... can ride and has a 95% accuracy rating in the bathroom.

Let me know... ;D

Danny...your bathroom accuracy rating leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think the wife will allow such a low rating in her house. Now if you were to learn to sit when you pee it might be doable. However, it would require you to make sure you point your wanker down and based on your rating I am not sure if that is a possibility :-X

I'll tell you what slugger...you get that rating to 99.7% and I will breach the subject with the wife 8)

Since I never put up pics of some of the minor stuff I have been doing here you go.

Rotor and wheel caps installed.

Side covers. I used the original tank emblems and painted the letters to match the powder coat.

And last, but not least the tank. The design is based on the first time the wings made an appearance. Since the original inspiration was based on the Greek goddess Nike and since this is my daughters bike I changed the original winged logo to a female. I wanted it to be a bit sexy, sort of like the old hood ornaments on cars. I can't thank thrillseeker enough for taking what I had envisioned in my head and making something beautiful.

Thanks and I can't wait to get it all put together. I love the Winged Victory. It is simple, classic, and has some sex appeal to it.

Plates came in the mail Saturday, but noticed on the registration they put the color as red when I typed sage. I guess I will be making a trip to the DMV today. Still waiting on the rear brake rod and hopefully the front fender and exhaust will be finished early this week so I can get them bolted on. It is getting close to being completed. I only have one weekend left before I head out to the mountains so hopefully I don't run into any snags with putting the rest of the bike together and what tuning and adjustments I will certainly have to do will be easy and minor.

I had that issue with colour on regg too. The system here takes the vin colour code and applies it unless the clerk looks and changes it manually. Pain in the ass.

Got the color issue fixed easily on the registration. The powder coater finally replied to my multiple, texts and phone messages. He is supposed to coat the brake rod today so I can pick it up tomorrow, but I have heard that story before so I am not holding my breath. Also talked with my painter yesterday. Hopefully I will have the front fender and exhaust tomorrow as well.

I was putting it off (for some unknown reason), but I mounted the tank yesterday and ran the fuel lines. Putting the quick disconnect on is always a major PITA. Put the side covers and seat on as well. I really like how everything looks together. I adjusted the rear shock height, but I still need to drop the forks in the triples a bit. Right now the bike sits level, but I want the front to be a tiny bit lower than the rear. Mirrors will be here today so those will get fitted as well. So once I get the couple of parts I should be down to installing the chain, bleeding the brakes, and going over the bolts to make sure everything is snug.

Just been looking at pics on desktop, check the spokes where they connect to rim (under the plastic covers) they are a known issue with different metals corroding and coming loose.
Honda never had a 'parts kit' to fix it they just changed to alloy spokes with alloy rivets an the ones I did under guarantee (ands all the later models) Are the Comstars from a 1978 250/400?

How dare you tell us you put the tank, side covers, and seat on but not show us a picture to drool over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ...The comstars are from a 78 400. I checked the rivets when I cleaned and polished the lips and they were free of any corrosion and were tight.

I know it was a douchey move to post that, but I did it today at work and I couldn't get a pic last night since it was pouring outside and there isn't enough room in my garage to move the other bikes out of the way enough to get a pic. So here you go. Minus the brake rod, exhaust, and front fender.

crappy cell phone pic

Harsh said:
PJ...The comstars are from a 78 400. I checked the rivets when I cleaned and polished the lips and they were free of any corrosion and were tight.

Good to know you already checked 8)

No names that I know of yet, but knowing my daughter she will have one in short order.

Managed to get everything mounted today. It did not go super smoothly though. First I snapped a bolt in the lower triple. Then when trying to remove it the easy out broke. So I had to find a new place to mount the horn. Overall it is pretty much in the same location, just the mounting point changed. That also meant the support mount for the front brake line had be be changed as well.

Bleeding the brakes took forever. I was having a very hard time getting fluid to go through the master cylinder. Once it did the rest was easy. The first test ride didn't go so well. The bike fired up easily enough, but I could tell it was only running on one cylinder. The left side wasn't firing. I checked for spark and had none. So off comes the tank to check the wires at the coils. Sure enough one of them had popped out of its connection block. Put it back in and secured it so it won't pop out again. Put the tank back on and fought with the damn crossover tube for a while. Man I hate that stupid thing.

Off for the test ride. When I first started out the mid range of the rpm's was a bit sluggish and it was cutting in and out a bit like it wasn't getting fuel. Said the hell with it and went on the highway anyway. Cruising around I could feel the bike surging a tiny bit. However, that slowly went away after a bit of riding. When I got off the highway the cutting in and out at mid rpm's was gone as well. Now when at a stop I have to give it a tiny bit of gas to keep it from stalling which I didn't have to do before.

The clutch needs some adjustment and so do the foot controls. Both tires felt a bit slippy, but the front was very slippy. I don't know if it was the mold release, too much air, or a combo of both. Whatever it is, it certainly does not inspire any confidence. The front brake isn't as strong as I thought it would be either. It works well, I just expected a bit better feel and power from the dual piston caliper and master cylinder. Maybe after some more bedding in time it will start to feel better.

Now comes all of the adjustments and tweaks & peaks to get it running and handling better. I still need to go back through and re-check the valve lash. I am almost certain the right exhaust valve is a bit too loose and is making the ticking sound.

Those road riders should stick like glue. you didn't by chance use a tire black product on the sidewalls, that stuff if it gets on the tread will make the squirrely for sure. If not they should get better after a few more miles. Nice job overall it looks great and all the little fine tuning will get it just right eventually.

Nothing has touched the tires except the ground. These have not felt like any of the other sets of Road Riders I have used. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate to get some miles on the bike before I head to the mountains this Saturday. Hopefully, in the one or two days if semi dry weather I can get a few more miles on the bike to get the tires feeling better before I go because if not it will be a slow nerve racking ride up and down The Dragon.

I hope you do, you don't want slippy tires on the dragon for sure. I remember one set of mine being a bit slick for the first 100 or so miles, the other set was sticky right from mile 1 but It may have to do with the time of year as well. I put one set on in early April and road the first 100 miles in cold May weather. the second set I installed was mid July and it was hot so they stuck first ride. Maybe give them a wash with some soap to get any mold release off them that may be left?

I was thinking about using some soap and water with a scotch brite pad and give the tires a good scrubbing. I think you might be on to something with the temps. It was fairly cool yesterday. Although, the more I think about it I never checked or changed the air pressure after I had the tires mounted. I am willing to bet that they are somewhere in the vicinity of 35.

35 should be fine for the rear but a little high for the front on that size bike, my 450 was 30 front 40 rear I believe and would have been close in size & weight. Can't hurt to scrub them with a good soap and scotch brite. Then run them in if you can before the tail so you can get the most out of the road and bike.

Back
Top Bottom