CB750 Rear End Ideas

Cody.linhart

Been Around the Block
Hello everyone!

Right now I'm working on my first major project bike. I have a 78' Honda CB750 and I swapped the front out and put on a 01' Yamaha R1 front end.

a069157f806915a19f33313c76855303.jpg

Now that the whole front end is buttoned up, I'm moving around to the backside! I like the look of the black streetbike rims on a CB750 like this:

a6bd5238a221fad043ccb6af0f4d5380.jpg

But I'm not sure exactly how much madness is involved. While the bike is in pieces and I have options I might as well get your opinions/ideas and see where we can take it!

Thanks in advance for your ideas! You all are awesome!

Lots of work to graft on a different swingarm / rear wheel. You have to deal with sprocket offsets which sometimes cannot be sorted out.

It can be done, but is more work than swapping to inverted forks.

Depending on the swingarm, it can be easy, it can be a ton of work.

I have a Ducati swinger on mine. Couple spacers on the lathe, stepped pivot bolts to fit the ID of the swinger, down to the ID of the frame, and she was on. Couple hours worth of work, and $55 to PBI Sprockets to build me a .400 offset front sprocket to line the chain up. And, welding up the top shock mount.

20160414_171347_zps6n3zewxm.jpg

Great ideas! So basically it's a lot of work but pretty do-able.

Any ideas for a decent swingarm/rear wheel set that's pretty close to what I need?

Research length. You don't want to to stretch the bike out a ton. Find something as close to stock as you can.

So I'm looking for a swingarm that's about the same as the stock length? Anything else to try to keep similar?

Width at the pivot will play a big factor. Easy to make spacers. Less easy to make one more narrow.

A tall swingarm can be tough to get your chain over without it dragging. Old tubular arms tend to dimensionally consistent in cross section where as newer models are rectangular. And a double sided arm will be much easier to deal with than a single sided swingarm. After that you need an arm with the right shock mount location to get you in a range where you can achieve the correct motion ratios.

FZ6 swing simple mod with stock axle mod. 1-3.5in stretch maybe with some trimming of the adjuster block 0-3.5 stretch.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 507
Does anyone know of any way to throw on a modern wheel/brake onto a stock swingarm?

I've heard rumors a specific cbr600rr rear wheel/brake will swap onto the swingarm super easy, is it true?

Any more options or ideas would be awesome! This is my first full rebuild so I'll take any knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Cody.linhart said:
Does anyone know of any way to throw on a modern wheel/brake onto a stock swingarm?

I've heard rumors a specific cbr600rr rear wheel/brake will swap onto the swingarm super easy, is it true?

Any more options or ideas would be awesome! This is my first full rebuild so I'll take any knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Put a CBR600 wheel on one a while back. Had to machine down the sprocket carrier to be able to center the wheel, and the chain not be on the frame. Simple to do, if you have the equiptment.

J-Rod10 said:
Put a CBR600 wheel on one a while back. Had to machine down the sprocket carrier to be able to center the wheel, and the chain not be on the frame. Simple to do, if you have the equiptment.

can you show, got any pics?? what year cbr600??

The sprocket carrier from a FT or VF500 will fit with the CBR600F2 wheel and is narrower than the F2 carrier so you might not need to machine an F2 carrier to get the chain to line up. I have also used a GS500 rear 520 sprocket to convert to a narrower chain and gain a little extra. I don't recall exactly what the difference in width in the carriers is, but enough to make it worthwhile. I figured this out while sticking F2 wheels on my FZ600 race bike so I could run a 160 rear tire.

I'm looking at the R1 front end as well as it looks a little longer than the R6.. I Think 04-06 had the twin star dual calipers.. will have to probably get a CBR1000 front wheel to match the rear wheel I'm using.. I've not done any specific measuring yet but the plan for the rear end on the '77 is a 2014 CB500X mono.. I liked the way the swingarm so closely matched the early 90's arms.. I may end up going with a matching front end off a CB500/r/f/x but am concerned the forks might be too long..

s-l1600.jpg

I have a '97 CBR1100XX swinger on my bike, but it was about .06 too wide so it was machined down. Then it was just a custom set of spacers to use the stock pivot bolt.

80YfRml.jpg

If your forks are too long you can easily fix that by sliding them down in the triples. It's a lot more expensive to make short forks longer.

Back
Top Bottom