Not Bike Related - Hopefully You Can Still Help

el barto

Been Around the Block
OK guys. I'm sorry in advance for this post, if it REALLY isn't welcome by all means delete... but the sub-heading of Lounging at da club is "anything goes" so... I'm taking my chances. Ha ha. This forum is full of interesting and creative people and I have a feeling you'll have some good ideas. Please bear with me - there's a TL;DR at the bottom of the post ;)

Basically, my mum lives on my step-father's farm. On the farm they have three cottages which are rented to tenants and until recently things had been harmonious. On the main yard of the farm lives a woman with her partner and son. This woman runs the livery on the farm, a small but thriving business. Her rent is subsidised because she runs the livery, but she also takes a wage and the rent she's not paying is supposed to go back into maintenance work and the like.

So recently my mum and step-dad have become more and more frustrated by her late payments and general laziness. She essentially doesn't do any work anymore. Things took a turn for the worse when my mum and step-dad went away for a weekend. They came back to this woman who had mysteriously obtained images of documents relating to the livery that were kept in the study in the farmhouse. She refused to say how she got hold of these documents, but she was very angry about them. It later turned out that they had been obtained illegally by a friend of hers who was coming into the house to feed the dog while my mum was away.

The decision was made to evict the woman and that's where things got ugly. Tractor windscreens were bricked; an £800 generator was stolen; vehicles started entering the farm at night and tearing up fields; barns flooded. Slanderous comments on Facebook and to the liveries keeping their horses here. It's essentially bullying and intimidation and it's quite effective. To top it all off, they'd installed a hot tub in their garden a few months ago and hooked it up to the farm's electricity supply! The cheek of it. I have to stress that while I'm trying to be as objective as possible, my mum and step-father are very good kind people - it wouldn't be difficult to take advantage of that and unfortunately somebody has.

The police and solicitors are involved and things are moving along, but slowly; there is a case against these people but unfortunately no evidence that any of the acts mentioned above were them (aside from an electrician confirming that the hot tub had been wired up to the farm - this constitutes burglary). My mother and step-father are very careful, they're worried that if they put a toe wrong they won't be able to evict these people. It's awful to see them so stressed and I'm worried about them.

Aside from the obvious retaliation that I'd so like to inflict, I was thinking perhaps some form of entrapment. Catch them in an act of vandalism or theft that can be definitively proved, or similar. I want to do something that won't cause retaliation against my parents! Something smart, basically.

So any ideas are most welcome, or maybe even some of you have experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks for reading and apologies for the giant post.

TL;DR: tenants refusing to leave rented house; vandalism and robbing farm they're living on. Any suggestions?

Hidden CCTV system that records the communal areas and the private areas that your mother and step father use. I can give some advice about this if you decide to go ahead, but my knowledge is of large commercial CCTV systems, remember to set the date and time on all cameras and recordings.

The British legal system is hopeless at evictions in these kind of cases, I've known people resort to other means to remove non paying tenants.

Thanks guys. They were quoted for CCTV but unfortunately they just can't afford it at the moment. However, I got them some trail cameras that seem to be effective and have been placed in key areas around the farm.

julian.allard66 said:
Make sure you set time and date, the footage is only admissable as evidence if it has the time and date on it.

Yeah all set up with time stamps. Thank you!

If you need any advice about CCTV and evidence please ask, I've got a friend in the CCTV industry and another friend who's in Special Branch.

julian.allard66 said:
If you need any advice about CCTV and evidence please ask, I've got a friend in the CCTV industry and another friend who's in Special Branch.

Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be in touch sooner or later...

Call your local 81 chapter and explain the situation, im sure they will understand seriously though, these sound like very stupid, white trash people and im sure you will be able to outbrain them, just make sure everything you do is covered legally.

Back
Top Bottom