Montreal Manchild with an '81 Honda CB750K

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Another day, another question...rebuilding my front brake caliper, and not sure if the kit I received is correct. Reason being, the video I'm watching (which albeit is for an '81 750C and mine is the K model) shows the guy putting a rubber ring inside the caliper body - my kit did not come with that. Here's the groove inside my caliper body -

As I mentioned, my kit did not come with a rubber ring to put in the groove.

It did however come with a rubber ring that fit in a groove on the piston -

However, the caliper in the video did not have a rubber ring on the piston, just inside the caliper body.

Another thing - my piston fit into the caliper body without forcing it. It went in, snugly, but did not require any force to squeeze it in. In the video he had to really push the piston into the caliper body, and also said this was normal.

Whaddya think?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Here's the vid I was watching -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3c7F-38qlo

That seal you have over the piston goes inside the caliper body. You should also have a dust seal that goes in the groove on the piston, then over the outer lip on the caliper body.

Like this:

218387_x800.jpg

kymco_uxv500_front_brake_caliper_rebuild_piston_seals_master_cylinder.jpg

That's the impression I got from the vid - the seal I have is too loose for the caliper body. Guess I'm making a phone call tomorrow...

Caliper snafu aside, got the front wheel mounted today, first time in months that Rhonda's looked like a bike...

Looking real nice Jimbo! Make sure that the channel inside the caliper body is nice and clean. I like to use a dental pick to really get in there and clean out any crud

Just watched that caliper assembly video - dude didn't put any grease on the floating bolts. Bad move.

The Jimbonaut said:
Are the floating bolts the two long bolts that pass through the whole caliper?
Yes. They're usually threaded only at the cap end, so the inside caliper is guided along them.

And the diameter of the bolts will vary along the length (they have channels cut into them). This holds the grease so when the caliper needs to slide it has lubrication.

Gotcha. One of those bolts has that channel, the other doesn't but has a kind of plastic or rubber jacket on it about half way down the stem.

Pretty sure I got sent the wrong kit - I'll try and get in touch with the guy today and get it resolved.

Going to bench synch my carbs today - got a pretty good handle on how to do it but just want to check which is the "base" carb on my rack. Looking at the rack from the engine side and counting left to right, would it be the third carb?

As you sir on the bike, from left (clutch lever) to right (throttle) the cylinders are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4.

The base carb is #2.

I think I posted this in another thread awhile back, but it gives a good rundown of what to do. It worked a charm on my 81!

https://youtu.be/oVlLitzF38I

That was one of the vids I was watching funnily enough - thanks for the clarifications guys.

Got them synced and am now working on the wiring harness. I labelled the bejeezus out of the thing when I removed it so hopefully it'll go ok.

One thing I noticed was the connector pin in one of the coil outlets was a little worn down with some green corrosion -

- hard to see in the photos. The spark plug cable still connects to it ok, but is the corrosion something to be concerned about/do something about?

Corrosion mean higher resistance, which translates to weaker spark and possible stumvling/lack of power. Check local listings to see if there's a set of coils/wires from a mid-90's CBR for sale. They can typically be had for pretty cheap and usually include the wires.

Those Honda coils are used a lot by the KZ1300 guys to replace their coils because the Kawasaki ones didn't have replaceable leads.

They are universally considered to be good quality and rarely fail.

Buy some new HT cable and replace.

The corrosion you can scrape off and spray with WD40 - it shouldn't affect the coil / spark.

Gave the connector pin a good clean and WD40'd the thing, I guess I'll find out once the bike fires up.

Got the harness, airbox and carbs (almost) fitted -

No wrenches, no screwdrivers... tonight it's a different kind of TOOL

Back
Top Bottom