Two stroke triple street bikes

guernz

Been Around the Block

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    516.8 KB · Views: 241
If that were true, we would all have voted for him. Nice idea though. I hear that he wanted to bring back the Suzuki R5, but decided on a GT550 instead. It's a big beautiful bike. One of the best, if not the best in the world.

I had an H2, the sound with chambers and pods was amazing!

I have a GT750 with chambers and pods and it also sounds amazing but it not as fast of course.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
I had an H2, the sound with chambers and pods was amazing!

I have a GT750 with chambers and pods and it also sounds amazing but it not as fast of course.

I always found it to be a bit strange the the aircooled Kawis were quicker than the GT750. What accounts for the difference? Presumably, someone could tweak the engine on the GT750 to put out some better numbers?

The Kawi weighed nearly 100lbs less and the GT750 was more conservatively ported but I think with mods the Suzi could at least match the Kawi. Eventually, I ended up modding my Kawi quite a bit and it was even faster but not as fast as the quickest stock bikes today and a lot less street-able.

But what about the Honda NS400R, it's two stroke and has 3 cylinders and was sold as a road bike in the civilised world.

julian.allard66 said:
But what about the Honda NS400R, it's two stroke and has 3 cylinders and was sold as a road bike in the civilised world.

The civilized world? You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for civilization! ;D

I had an over-tuned KH250 - full race all the way - and it was too extreme for road use - a power curve that was more like a light switch. Never again!

Kevin Hutchinson runs 9.50's @ 143 on his Buffalo. The NS400R is a great bike but almost half the displacement. It may even weigh more than an H2.

Heh why keep it to motorbikes? A two stroke A10 Warthog would be a thing of wonder :D

jimmer said:
Kevin Hutchinson runs 9.50's @ 143 on his Buffalo. The NS400R is a great bike but almost half the displacement. It may even weigh more than an H2.

His has some left in the porting and he could increase the nitrous too. Even without the radiator and pipes, it's a heavy beast. He has done a fantastic job on that bike and DOug Flannery who ported it is the master of 2 stroke tipledom.

I was lucky to ride an NS400r a few years ago - at a time when we had a garage full of RD400s, 250s and the odd other bike.. The NS was fast and light and so civilized.

My GT750 with Jemco's is quite fast but is so loud. The one I just fitted an OMAR's Torque Canon to sounds way better and a lot less noisy. Not as fast probably, but it looks good and sounds great - thanks Crabsandcylinders. I have a GT550 barrel on the bench here that I am playing with teh porting and it should be good for over 75hp when we are done with it. (stock was around 38).

You are welcome and thank you!

The 550 is not water-cooled but maybe the "Ram Air" could help it handle more power? I have ridden stock 550's and I really like some of it's qualities, heavier and slower than my stock at the time GT500 but very smooth and I think it revved up quicker (lighter crank?). It was more civilised but with my buddies drop bars on it, it did feel heavy. I would love to hear one with chambers, cuz this one sounded nice but too quiet.

Correct. The 550 looks a lot like a smaller 750 but without the weight penalty of water cooling. On the bench is a partly ported GT550 cylinder and a basically stock RD350 cylinder and the 550 seems to have more potential than people generally give them credit for.

teazer said:
Correct. The 550 looks a lot like a smaller 750 but without the weight penalty of water cooling. On the bench is a partly ported GT550 cylinder and a basically stock RD350 cylinder and the 550 seems to have more potential than people generally give them credit for.
I'd love to see photos of those 550 barrels. How do you feel the transfer ducts compare to the RD? IMHO those are always a big limiting factor in the old 2S street motors.

Suzuki use a single pair of transfer ports and they appear much smaller at the crankcase mouth, but they are wider than an RD, so the starting area is probably close to the same though I have not measured them.

On a 550 there is not a lot of metal to grind huge ports, but the transfers can be raised and widened enough. I'll see if I can take some pictures for you.

What does grinding ports do? Is that sort of like the two-stroke equivalent of a fatter cam?

Back
Top Bottom