www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: The little Ducati Featherweight  (Read 18234 times)

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
The little Ducati Featherweight
« on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:01:54 »
So a little ducati motor just fell into my lap. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I have very little idea what direction this is going in, other than the 2 words I have come to mind are cafe, and lightweight. Since this is a little guy (160 from a monza Jr) I'm kind if thinking why not try to make it an ultra lightweight bike, and see how "bare bones" I can get it and still have a safe functional machine. Perhaps build a frame from scratch,  which designed properly would allow for a nice sturdy structure but be a featherweight at the same time. Hey I like that, Ducati Featherweight, that's what I'll name this project. I needed another project like a hold in the head, oops!

I'm completely open to input here, especially in building the frame, so please by all means everyone throw up some ideas!

I have a shit ton of parts laying around, so once I have a frame this should go fast.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: The little Ducati Featherweight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:29:11 »
I'm on board, I have no help for you on the frame except if you want to title depending on where you are you'll want a donor frame for a vin #, get one that you can fit a good set of forks and a good wheel brake setup.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Online BarnBurner

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:30:14 »
I'm working on a Monza Jr. right now as well. I have a later engine but the first series bodywork. Just pulled the engine to do the top end. Let me know if you need any frame measurements or a PDF of the service manual.

Old motorcycles never die, they just wait.

1971 Honda CL350
1968 Aermacchi/Harley Davidson Rapido
1967 Ducati Monza Jr. 160
1966 Honda CA100
1965 Honda CL77

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:32:05 »
I'm working on a Monza Jr. right now as well. I have a later engine but the first series bodywork. Just pulled the engine to to the top end. Let me know if you need any frame measurements or a PDF of the service manual.

Thanks BarnBurner! I have the service manual, but I may take you up on measurements and maybe a few photos once I get going.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:18:35 »
http://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/ducati-single-race-frame

Yes! That is beautiful! Not sure i could make it, but maybe something like it. Keep'em comin'!

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:38:01 »
I'm on board, I have no help for you on the frame except if you want to title depending on where you are you'll want a donor frame for a vin #, get one that you can fit a good set of forks and a good wheel brake setup.

Thanks Maritime!

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 13:53:30 »
Yes! That is beautiful! Not sure i could make it, but maybe something like it. Keep'em comin'!

As far as building a frame goes this one would be reasonably easy to be honest!  If you don't want to build your own completely maybe an mx frame (steel) could be modified as they are single cylinder also.  Sounds like a fun project.

Online BarnBurner

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 14:58:05 »
I think a CB160 frame would be awesome and this little engine would be perfect polished up and out front. Plus you could get a title for it easy

Old motorcycles never die, they just wait.

1971 Honda CL350
1968 Aermacchi/Harley Davidson Rapido
1967 Ducati Monza Jr. 160
1966 Honda CA100
1965 Honda CL77

Offline jag767

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Kinesis Moto
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2016, 17:39:47 »
I think a CB160 frame would be awesome and this little engine would be perfect polished up and out front. Plus you could get a title for it easy

Lol i have a titled 175 frame i was eyeing as a plan B. I'd  want a usd front end for it, length would be an issue.