MT250 Budget Build

Tifun said:
Thakar ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, took it out during lunch and had a few issues.

First, it would mis pretty bad at WOT, but it was also running premix and the oil pump was priming so I think it was just that when it was hitting that like 15:1 it couldn't fire.

Swapped out the PreMix for regular once the pump was fully primed, now it just runs like shit. Pulled a plug after a sprited run down the neighborhood and the plug is pretty black. So Im going to jet it down some and see where that takes me. Need to order jets, went to jetsrus but they dont carry the air jet, and mine is pretty wonky so I woudl really like to replace it along with a smaller main and pilot.

At least this is so much easier to tune that the KZ, that bike is going to be the death of me. four fucking carbs, what was I thinking

Well the trip to Thakar was a failure. Thought it just needed a little tuning so I brought jets and never got it running well.

After getting home I oiled the filter (forgot) and BOOM now it runs like a fucking rocket. At this point all the lights work, the oil pump works, everything works. I need to throw some caswell in the tank for sanity sake. Things rattle and shake so lots of small touch things but it's ready to hammer now.

clem said:
Thakar is pretty damn funny. So it was jetted lean?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Yeah, we had it all the way up to 120 in KY, it ran fine but hated anything over 4K RPM, which doesn't get a 2t very far. After oiling I went down to a 118 main. However the needle clip it all the way up, I think the needle in it could use some tuning. I don't want to drop the main any more because the plug looks good to a smidge lean where it currently sits after a chop at wot

f00fb5e38ccdaa2231369d68d218a166.jpg

Looks like it's running good! A 74' MT250K1 was my first "project bike" I ended up deleting all the electronics and turned it into a woods bike.

Yours is looking great!

Attachments

• 150772_728360153887_1994290201_n.jpg
    150772_728360153887_1994290201_n.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 69272_728360089017_1497563046_n.jpg
    69272_728360089017_1497563046_n.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 563278_728359914367_1205775483_n.jpg
    563278_728359914367_1205775483_n.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 535387_728360024147_1541494041_n.jpg
    535387_728360024147_1541494041_n.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 277
DannyMotor said:
Looks like it's running good! A 74' MT250K1 was my first "project bike" I ended up deleting all the electronics and turned it into a woods bike.

Yours is looking great!

Dang, with some newer style plastics yours looks like a much more modern bike. I have a title so wanted to leave it street legal for resale sake. There is a chamber like that on e-bay but its like $300 after shipping. Do you know what it is? I would love to get more power, but dont want to spend that kind of money.

JSJamboree said:
Dang, with some newer style plastics yours looks like a much more modern bike. I have a title so wanted to leave it street legal for resale sake. There is a chamber like that on e-bay but its like $300 after shipping. Do you know what it is? I would love to get more power, but dont want to spend that kind of money.

That's a Bassanni pipe. Great pipes too, and can wake these up. Oddly enough you can still buy them new from Jemco I think. Just have to call and tell them what you want

Would be a cool upgrade, but I don't see this bike getting any use, don't see the reason to spend the extra $$ unless I was to try ahrma racing on it

Last piece of the puzzle. Snagged it off eBay for a pretty good price and got overbid on one not as nice that ended up going for a lot more than this one. Hadn't seen any on eBay for about three months then two in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 307
Yep, it's a bassanni.

There is also a CR250 exhaust that goes under the bike and up the right side. More moto-cross like. I can't remember who makes them but e-bay is littered with them from time-to-time.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 672
So, Ive got the itch for an 80s/90s sport bike. Really anything with dual round headlights. This has been ridden like 4 times since it was built so I dont really see a reason to keep paying insurance and title on it. So, its going up for sale! Its not a full restore but mechanically its been gone through and the motor is like new at this point. This isn't going to let you down. Asking 1750, I'll get some glamor pics up soon.

JSJamboree said:
So, Ive got the itch for an 80s/90s sport bike. Really anything with dual round headlights. This has been ridden like 4 times since it was built so I dont really see a reason to keep paying insurance and title on it. So, its going up for sale! Its not a full restore but mechanically its been gone through and the motor is like new at this point. This isn't going to let you down. Asking 1750, I'll get some glamor pics up soon.

FZR600 ?

Attachments

• Yamaha FZR600 89  1.jpg
    Yamaha FZR600 89 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 268
canyoncarver said:

89ish FZR600, 89ish ZX7, 89ish GSXR750

Honestly its all about the cool looks than it is a specific bike or even being very fast, I just don't want anything smaller than a 600. Anything else i'm missing? Not looking for something rare or crazy. They are still relatively inexpensive right now so I want to get one before the prices start to go up.

JSJamboree said:
89ish FZR600, 89ish ZX7, 89ish GSXR750

Honestly its all about the cool looks than it is a specific bike or even being very fast, I just don't want anything smaller than a 600. Anything else i'm missing? Not looking for something rare or crazy. They are still relatively inexpensive right now so I want to get one before the prices start to go up.

I love the looks and I believe they are the next wave of customs so un-effed originals will only get harder to find. These earlier crotch rockets seemed to have alot of squid PO's so be careful there.
The ZX7 would be my other first choice (besides my YZF750R, love love love) but I haven't been able to find a decent one in awhile out here in the southwest. I rode a buddy's ZX7 a bit back when and it was a blast. I don't know much about the gixxers. Check out Airtech-Streamlining to see what they make plastics for, it gives an idea of aftermarket support for the bikes and which ones were in demand for racing.

I'm also in love with these bikes, and recently snagged this guy

20046563_10155508333864282_2223276805993706579_n.jpg

Quite affordable, though WAY less fun to work on than older bikes. Suddenly everything is packed in super tight and there's way more pieces to maintain (hydraulic clutch, disc brakes, etc). A total blast to ride, though, and way less money if you're willing to put in the time (PO couldn't get it started and didn't want to deal with taking the carbs off - I don't blame him).

HiroProtagonist said:
I'm also in love with these bikes, and recently snagged this guy

20046563_10155508333864282_2223276805993706579_n.jpg

Quite affordable, though WAY less fun to work on than older bikes. Suddenly everything is packed in super tight and there's way more pieces to maintain (hydraulic clutch, disc brakes, etc). A total blast to ride, though, and way less money if you're willing to put in the time (PO couldn't get it started and didn't want to deal with taking the carbs off - I don't blame him).
Just sold my 84 vf1000f. Yes they are cool, it was fast and it was fun ' BUT pulling the carbs and re installing them makes me want to smack an old lady in the face. They are way more tightly packed and tough to work on than any bike from the previous 7-10 years that I've ever been around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HURCO550 said:
Just sold my 84 vf1000f. Yes they are cool, it was fast and it was fun ' BUT pulling the carbs and re installing them makes me want to smack an old lady in the face. They are way more tightly packed and tough to work on than any bike from the previous 7-10 years that I've ever been around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100% agreed. When you say "previous 7-10 years" do you mean 74-77 or 2010-now? Just wondering if they made them LESS packed over time? I have a set of new jets coming in for the bike and I am not looking forward to dealing with them.

For an 80s bike that actually has a good dose of power and is SUPER easy to work on, the CX500 is pretty sweet. If you look at the power/weight and the torque, you're getting pretty close to a modern Moto Guzzi, though it does look like shit, and definitely doesn't have the "80s sports/super bike" aesthetic.

I was about 5 minutes away from picking up a non-running RG500 earlier this year at an auction in Seattle and I'm still kicking myself over passing it by.

Back
Top Bottom