www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1973 CB500 resto-mod  (Read 6051 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: 1973 CB500 resto-mod
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 18:01:47 »
 Well, I heard the pipes today! Hooked up an IV and fired her up. There's a little more valve noise than I'd like (sort of to be expected after a full top end rebuild). I adjusted the valves, but I'll go back through them again. The carbs were pissing fuel out the overflows. Again, I gave them a quick clean and once over. They were really nice carbs to begin with and I was hoping I could get by but, alas.... I'll pull them and have my carb guy do his thing. I was able to set the timing. I need to play with the Speedhut tach and get it the correct signal and pulse.
 The idle seemed high, but wanted to die if I cut back on it too much. I mostly just held it as it was and even a little higher to help seat the rings. No smoke, no big oil leaks that I can see, no exhaust leaks that I can tell.
 As a "proof of concept" start, I'd say it went OK.

Offline Supergyro

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:57 »
That tank and those sidecovers look FANTASTIC! Kudos to your painter, and kudos to you on an excellent build so far.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2017, 13:27:56 »
 The carbs for this project, I picked up at Barber last year. They were super clean, had some chrome bowls and tops, and supposedly were on a bike not too long ago.
 I took a quick look inside, sprayed a little carb cleaner through them, and slapped them on. That was a mistake on my part. Fuel pissing out the overflows like crazy. I've been through CB550 carbs plenty of times, but I have a carb guy within walking distance of my house. Yanked them off yesterday and dropped them off. Sure enough, the one area I didn't get into was the issue. I didn't pull the floats and fuel valves. The O-rings were crumbling.
 Rick has a method of polishing and seating the needles and he installed new O-rings on the fuel valves, main jets and drain screws for me. He also cleaned them up a bit better. Ought to be good to go this time.
 Hope to get them back on in a day or two and fire it up again and make attempt #2 and tuning it. I also re-adjusted the valves yesterday.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2017, 13:29:55 »
Just got through vacuum syncing them. Can't go for a real test ride until the tank is on, and I think I could use a larger pilot jet, as I ended up at ~3/4 turn out and stock is 1.5.
 I think I can tune it this way, but if I ever have to go back in them, I'll go up on the pilot. I can't remember if there's a 38 or 40 in there right now.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:02 »
Rear fender, grab bar and tail light are FINALLY on their way here from the chrome shop. I plan on finishing up the wiring now. I'm still trying to figure out why I have a lag in the tach on the Speedhut gauge.
 I think I'll go ahead and install bodywork and seat and maybe ride it a little bit. I have access to a dyno shop in Concord. I think I'll ride or haul it up there and actually have the carbs tuned and jetted properly, depending on what I find once it moves under it's own power (other than up and down the driveway with the fuel in the bowls).

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 13:03:43 »
Man that's pretty.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 12:47:23 »
 FINALLY got my stuff back from the chrome shop.

I had a CL350 tail light bracket chromed. It looks like the original, but smaller.

Got everything on the bike. I'll probably go ahead and install the seat now. I'll position the GPS antenna to be as discreet as possible back there. I could probably go ahead and install the tank and side covers, but I'd really like to figure out what's up with the tach first. I'll leave that stuff off for easy access to all the wiring.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2017, 12:48:58 »
Purrdy.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 18:04:35 »
 Installed the NOS seat today. The ONLY thing that's stopping me from installing the bodywork is waiting for a noise filter for the Speedhut tach to get here. I don't want to take the tank on and off to access the wiring anymore than I have to.

The seat and pan are beautiful. Even the logo.

This bike had the complete factory tool kit in the original bag, that nifty fuse holder (that originally had 3 fuses, but I broke one taking it out. I have some spares in the tool kit), and even the original owners manual.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2017, 14:33:43 »
 Picked up an NOS kickstand (because I had cut off the ball on the old one and I ended up needing it) and had it tapped for a set screw.

This allows me to lift the stand without it hitting the pipe. This pic makes the gap look bigger than it really is. I might be able to go in another thread or two and tuck it up a little closer if needed.