Loom Tape

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

I bought a roll of this on Yambits to rewrap my loom on my XS750...
What is the right way to use this?
Tried this yesterday it has really little glue on it,is it self vulcanising or do I nees to heat shrink it?

Thanks!
e017666ce8644c5e7fc077e5b33c35f6.jpg

Haha its just normal electrical tape at twice the cost most of their stuff is higher quality than the cheap stuff though

Lots of factory taped looms have little or no glue which makes the loom more flexible, and I imagine it's just easier in a factory setting without a bunch of sticky tape. Just the ends get the adhesive backed tape to hold things together. I don't use the non adhesive tape because it is too hard to use (for me), but the down side is that over time, the wiring gets sticky from the adhesive and if you make changes down the road it makes things a bit messy. I use 3M brand Super 33 black electrical tape exclusively because it has the best adhesive and tends not to fall apart over time and high temperature (there is also Super 88 which is the same except thicker). The trick is to start wrapping with very little stretch and once wrapped over itself a turn keep it stretched and overlap about 1/2 the width of the tape. When you get to the end of a wrap, stop stretching completely and carefully cut the tape straight and square with a razor blade or scissors so you don't stretch or deform the end. Then just smooth the end around the stretched wraps a turn or two. That way the end will stay stuck down in place and not shrink away because it is under tension. You have to be pretty careful and have very clean hands and wiring to make a high quality long lasting loom. The adhesive on electrical tape is easily contaminated and this has a big impact on the finish quality. Planning ahead is important. Wrap all the branch circuits first, starting at the end and finishing where the branch enters the main loom. That way when you wrap the main loom, you will over wrap the finish ends of the branches and trap those wraps there keeping them from unraveling. If you are careful, you will have only a single end of tape that can potentially come unstuck and unravel. You can put a zip tie around that and you will have a very long lasting loom. You could do the same thing with the non-adhesive tape of course, but like I said, I use the sticky stuff.

Thanks guys for the insight!

The tape I show in the pic has really little glue on it,but sticks really well.I bought it because I was looking for a tape that doesnt disintegrate after a few months..

If you're looking for good tape: Coroplast textile. It's what I use on all the looms I build, it can even take a bit of heat.

With regards to the tape you showed above, there's two (Upper-)Austrian terms:

1) Raunz-Bandl. Weilst raunzt, wennst es benutzt.
(Moan-tape, cause you moan when using it.)
2) Ranz-Bandl. Weilst es ranzen musst, damit es hält.
(Stretch tape, as you have to keep it under a certain tension (i.e. stretch) to make it stick properly. And no, it's one of the few things I can't really show you as this is a black art left to old car electricians. I sometimes get it to work, but more often than not fail...)

der_nanno said:
If you're looking for good tape: Coroplast textile. It's what I use on all the looms I build, it can even take a bit of heat.

With regards to the tape you showed above, there's two (Upper-)Austrian terms:

1) Raunz-Bandl. Weilst raunzt, wennst es benutzt.
(Moan-tape, cause you moan when using it.)
2) Ranz-Bandl. Weilst es ranzen musst, damit es hält.
(Stretch tape, as you have to keep it under a certain tension (i.e. stretch) to make it stick properly. And no, it's one of the few things I can't really show you as this is a black art left to old car electricians. I sometimes get it to work, but more often than not fail...)

:)

Back
Top Bottom