To Pod or Not To Pod

czwalbert

1980 Yamaha xs850
I like the clean look of the pod filters and everything else cleared out cleaned up.
But i like the reliability of the airbox.

any pictures of this bike out there done up cafe, brat or tracker without pods that look good? need to get some ideas.
otherwise got a long project in front of me with these carbs!!

thanks

I have a lot of experience with this. When I mean experience, I mean hours, weeks and months trying to get them to work. The guys on the triple site were great and we all had a good laugh. First you have to go through everything and I mean everything, the intakes, need to be spot on, these notoriously leak, then you need to make sure all the seals in the carbs are perfect, they notoriously leak around the linkage connecting the carbs. Once you have everything absolutely perfect, then it's time to synch. The Hitachi's are really, really touchy. Now you can put your pods on and chase flat spots through out the rev range. You'll change the jets a few times, play with the settings, try a few formulas and then find the formula isn't for your altitude. The cool thing is, the 850 is strong enough to power through most of the issues but leave you with that niggle you know things aren't just right. You will become expert at pulling three carbs. in ten minutes and rejetting and replacing in twenty. Now I did find the formula for my bike and it ran well. These were strong engines and set up well make pretty decent power. Don't fall for stupidity. Get the best pods you can find, DO NOT stuff them with anything, it breaks down and gets sucked into the carbs and then all new problems start. Like all mods. get everything running perfect and take notes, once the mod starts to go south, you can get back to base and start a new path. Think about it, three carbs, needles, multiple seals, springs, screws, etc. etc. I HAD to go through this, my bike didn't come with a box and I figured it was a good time to learn about carbs. Good Luck, hope you get to your goal...

I'll be following this thread with interest - debating the same with my 1981 Honda CB750K. Love the look of Cognito Moto's breadbox filter, just not sure about what'll take to get the bike running well with it installed. Good luck, and I'm all ears too =)

I’d go with mechanical lift carbs. So much easier and you can run pods all day without the same issue.

I think he is referring to slide/needle carbs. Never heard them called that before. Apriliabill is giving you a great heads up.

Yes thats what I mean. Non-CV carbs. Like the old mikuni vm’s or Keihin CR specials. They don’t rely on constant vacuum for the slides to lift.

If you haven't seen it already, I did this write up on repairing the carbs on an XS750 - the '77 model with the Mikuni carbs - not the Hitachis. I found them really nice to work on and only really had problems because some ham hand previous owner had broken the air/fuel screw tips off in the seats - nightmare to fix.

Anyway, I cheated a bit with tuning but damn I got a good result. Using modern equipment saves sooo much time and in my opinion, money as well in the long run. Especially if you are a busy person and see your time as valuable - time is money. I used an O2 sensor and an air/fuel gauge ;D

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71386.0

Attachments

• MC_O2Sensor.png
    MC_O2Sensor.png
    569.5 KB · Views: 921
  • MC_AirFuelRatio.png
    MC_AirFuelRatio.png
    581.7 KB · Views: 913
The Jimbonaut said:
I'll be following this thread with interest - debating the same with my 1981 Honda CB750K. Love the look of Cognito Moto's breadbox filter, just not sure about what'll take to get the bike running well with it installed. Good luck, and I'm all ears too =)
The best way to get a DOHC 750 to run well without the stock airbox, is to put carbs on it that are not CV's.

all good news.... been a while since my last post some bozo put jbweld to hold a bolt in the carb.... broke the bolt then broke the extractor.... pretty much gave up on life then found this hillbilly redneck video of two guys drinking beer and using a dremel. sure nuff it worked the dremel went right through that hardened steel extractor and i got it all out.(beer was also involved) put it all back together and she turned right on. no leaks and a nice smooth idle. plus i got to buy a new tool so thats a bonus. now that thats done i have to find pods and a few other things. anyone know of a digital tachometer/ speedometer that can be used on a 3 cylinder? preferrably in the $40 range

Back
Top Bottom