Is it possible? Need input on potential build

mmazz365

Hey everyone, I'd really appreciate some input on my idea.

I am trying to run through my head of whether or not my abilities/budget would ever allow me to build a CB750 cafe racer.

The one the Tyson Carver built would be I'd say a form of inspiration. I love the GSXR forks, fat tires, clean look etc.

My question is would I be able to turn a bike like the one below (not my photo. off google.) and transform it to one similar to Tyson Carver's with not a huge amount of fabrication abilites and breaking the bank.

I understand this is such a broad question and there are going to be replies like... well whats your budget? do you have any mechanic abilities? etc...

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• 06_09_2015_Honda_CB750_02.jpg
    06_09_2015_Honda_CB750_02.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 882
  • DSC09061.jpg
    DSC09061.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 306
If you stay realistic you can easily do it. Find a good running legal bike. In other words, buy the best bike you can afford. Most basket cases and failed projects are sold as baskets and failed projects for a reason. Avoid that trap if you can. You will avoid a lot of problems by paying a little more for a decent bike. Start with easy modifications. Seat and exhaust are easy. Rear shocks and good swingarm bushings are easy. Moving the oil tank/battery box is a bit more work, but the oil tank is available from several vendors. I've had great luck with these guys tanks http://www.anythinggoescustomcycles.com/ and he has already built a similar tank. Move an AGI battery under the seat. Paint the gas tank if you don't like the color. Handlebars of your choice. Drill the front disk brake. Now ride it a while and see how you like it and what you would still change given time, money and experience. The biggest change on the bike you referenced is the fork. This can be easy or difficult depending on the fork/front wheel you choose. Personally, I've seen a lot of good looking 750s on this site with very little modification.

mmazz365 said:

I am trying to run through my head of whether or not my abilities/budget would ever allow me to build a CB750 cafe racer.

The one the Tyson Carver built would be I'd say a form of inspiration. I love the GSXR forks, fat tires, clean look etc.

My question is would I be able to turn a bike like the one below (not my photo. off google.) and transform it to one similar to Tyson Carver's with not a huge amount of fabrication abilites and breaking the bank.

I understand this is such a broad question and there are going to be replies like... well whats your budget? do you have any mechanic abilities? etc...

I doubt the rider of that CB750 can turn the bars (without breaking their wrist against the tank), so they need not worry about the gyroscopic effect of that Fat Boy front tire.

Rider52 said:
If you stay realistic you can easily do it. Find a good running legal bike. In other words, buy the best bike you can afford. Most basket cases and failed projects are sold as baskets and failed projects for a reason. Avoid that trap if you can. You will avoid a lot of problems by paying a little more for a decent bike. Start with easy modifications. Seat and exhaust are easy. Rear shocks and good swingarm bushings are easy. Moving the oil tank/battery box is a bit more work, but the oil tank is available from several vendors. I've had great luck with these guys tanks http://www.anythinggoescustomcycles.com/ and he has already built a similar tank. Move an AGI battery under the seat. Paint the gas tank if you don't like the color. Handlebars of your choice. Drill the front disk brake. Now ride it a while and see how you like it and what you would still change given time, money and experience. The biggest change on the bike you referenced is the fork. This can be easy or difficult depending on the fork/front wheel you choose. Personally, I've seen a lot of good looking 750s on this site with very little modification.
Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback. That's pretty much what I was looking for. To see if this only achievable via a fab shop, but I think my interest has grown in doing this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using DO THE TON mobile app

mmazz365 said:
Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback. That's pretty much what I was looking for. To see if this only achievable via a fab shop, but I think my interest has grown in doing this.

Go for it man, it's the only way to learn. There is very little to no fab work on that bike. Stay positive, motivated, and follow Rider52's advice and you'll get there.

First things first...

Can you ride a motorcycle? Do you have any experience maintaining a motorcycle?

Not being rude, honestly. Just some important info.

I agree with almost everything said above. Spring is almost here, buy the best, most complete bike you can find. Ride, ride, ride. Find out what the bike is about, then sit down with a plan what you want, not just a look. You may find you and your buds like long days in the saddle, or just blasts up to the mountains, or even shorter bar runs. This will make a difference in what you build. Us older guys don't like being crunched up for 300 miles at a time, or need a little room for overnight stuff. Those floaty tires are pretty worthless. That front end, pretty bitchen if the math is correct, a tank slap at the ton can leave a mark. Take your time, do it right so it doesn't end as a pile of parts in the garage. Bikes can be a substantial (even doing the work yourself) investment, so make sure your partner is on board. Buy price, tax, licence, insurance. Some are lucky to have a bike drop in their lap, and have parts in the garage, but most have to find that balance and room in the budget. I agree, get the best bike you can afford, needing the least work and get to it. Can't wait to see what you build. Most of the bikes on here are pretty remarkable, just check out the archives of BOTM....

mmazz365 said:

Having been there, and owning a number of bikes, I say do as MUCH research as you can, investigate costs before hand, and really get going on this project as spring is almost upon us.

Also, it is vital to remember you need not let the opinions you get heavily sway you. In the end its your life to live, your mistakes to make, and your chance to grow and learn.

Some ppl HATE cafe racers, the hipster culture and pretentious riders, and on the other hand, some ppl think anything that keeps the bike culture alive is a good thing.

Its a great journey and I hope you enjoy it.

iatethepeach said:
mmazz, what do you plan to do with the bike once you make it look like the one in your photo?
I'd like to make it my everyday ride. Whether that is around town or not. I typically ride in 2-4 hours bursts through the Colorado mountains. Not a highway person, I like the curvy canyon roads.

VonYinzer said:
First things first...

Can you ride a motorcycle? Do you have any experience maintaining a motorcycle?

Not being rude, honestly. Just some important info.
I grew up racing motocross, had 2 newer Harley Davidson bikes and now want something else other than my street legal dirtbike. I've always done all the maintenance, and also did an 80% rebuild on a 1980 Pontiac Firebird prior to moving to CO. I do have some handy background.

mmazz365 said:
I'd like to make it my everyday ride. Whether that is around town or not. I typically ride in 2-4 hours bursts through the Colorado mountains. Not a highway person, I like the curvy canyon roads.

Do not build a bike like THAT! Anyone would last 24minutes.

I would suggest a BMW R Nine T instead.

ad2164a910a9bea6e3c09d0118d2e0aa.jpg

mmazz365 said:

Don't put a modern sport bike front end on it if you like curvy canyon roads. There is not enough offset in the triple trees to give you a proper trail for that bike. It will not turn well much less carve canyons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

mmazz365 said:
I grew up racing motocross, had 2 newer Harley Davidson bikes and now want something else other than my street legal dirtbike. I've always done all the maintenance, and also did an 80% rebuild on a 1980 Pontiac Firebird prior to moving to CO. I do have some handy background.

Good shit. You're coming from a great start than. As stated, buy the nicest bike you can first and ride the wheels off of it this summer.

clem said:
Don't put a modern sport bike front end on it if you like curvy canyon roads. There is not enough offset in the triple trees to give you a proper trail for that bike. It will not turn well much less carve canyons.

What you talkin bout Willis? Less offset = more trail and less wheelbase. Or did I miss something?

Shorter forks do change wheelbase and rake and trail and fat tires mke steering heavy, so you can end up with a twitchy, slow to turn bike that handles very poorly is is not a lot of fun to ride.

With the standard 1970's 27 degree rake I had over 4" of trail with a ZX6 front end. It was very close to becoming a Honda shadow! If he had a 24 degree rake it would be golden with the 30mm or less offset the newer bikes have. Am I missing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Ah. I see what you are saying. With modern small offset forks, you suspect he will have too much trail. Right.

When I did the calcs on a GT750 with raised rear end and shorter USD forks, I found it hard to get enough trail even with modern triples which is what I though you meant. Carry on sir.

You can buy custom triples ($$$) that account for this and allow you to retain OEM offsets. I know Cognito Moto sells these and all of the other bits to make a conversion the least painful as possible for these old hondas, but it comes at a premium price.

Back
Top Bottom