CB400F or TX650

scott_jangers

Hey all,

I've currently been checking out two bikes to buy as a regular ride, a '78 Honda CB400 four or a '73 Yamaha TX650. Both are road legal and serviced with a lot of paperwork. They're all mainly original but the 400 has a small dent on the tank and some light chrome pitting. The TX is missing some side trim and has a little oil leak.

The TX is a touch more than the CB400, but is a little more rarer and maybe more sort after over here. Not sure which is harder to get parts for, and whether the Four is trickier to work on than the twin? Which is a better ride... I hear the XS, being a parallel twin was a bit more vibey?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly received thanks!

The TXes had some issues. I'd go with the CB400. Lots of parts readily available and they're a great little bike.

Thanks Sonreir. I think you're right. The TX has an issue with the starter. The CB is in better condition, carbs ultra sonically cleaned and balanced, no missing bits, etc. Plus I quite like the sound of the 4 into 1 exhaust.

I'd go for the TX myself, but it's your money, your call. Whichever you choose I reckon you've some good times ahead.

I got a 73 TX650 myself. Not a bad bike at all actually. All XS 650 series had some issues, but no more than all Honda had issues as well.
I own 3 Hondas and 2 Yamahas btw

You need to know however, that not all the 73 engine parts interchange with the later year XS' models. there are certain years that you can swap parts back and forth, but the 73 and earlier years are the harder ones to source parts for. However, that doesn't mean that you wont find anything for them. Check out Mikesxs.com for parts, 650 central, etc... you will see that there are plenty of parts made for these including the TX models. But if I was going to get an XS all over again, I would go with a 75-76 model myself. a lot of the frame issues, and engine upgrades were already sorted out by then.

I don't own any 4 cyl Hondas, But I have had 4 cylinder Yamahas. I don't know which is easier to fiddle with when it comes to the CB400F or the TX650, but 2 carbs and 2 cylinders should be easier and cheaper to mess with IMO.

I love the CB400F and they are super nice bikes. I will own one someday. With a quick turn throttle they sound like an f1 and they cruise comfortably all day long at 80 MPH. That is all my humble opinion and the Yamahas are nice too. I just really fell in lover with the CB400f and want one after riding one.

Two different animals across the board. The TX is awesome. I love them. Parts and hop up stuff is just as readily available for them as are for the Honda. They're tough as nails and when sorted about as reliable as 40+ year old bike can be. Lots of low end grunt but they'll shake your guts loose at highway speeds. That can be fixed with a rephase and some tinkering but it's not a cheap endeavor.

The 400 is a wonderful machine as well. All the fun and top end power of the bigger I4 Hondas in a tight little package. Reliability is top notch, as should be expected from most Hondas of the era. As Maritime noted, they sound amazing. Lots of go fast info and parta are out there as well.

I look at those two bikes like this. The XS is a hammer. Bigger, heavier and bulkier but always gets the job done.

The 400/4 is more like a scalpel. Light, precise and fast.

Either way, their guranteed to do the job at hand. Just depends on what you like and expect from them.

Von Yinzer pretty much nailed it. I wouldn't be worried about parts availability for either of them. And the TX/XS starter issues are usually an easy fix.

I own a 74 TX650, a little different than the 73 model and more closely related to the later XS650s. It's a decent bike, but as Von Yinzer said it will shake out your fillings. My wife and I rode it about 35 miles to work one day nearly 40 years ago. She has not ridden it and will not ride it again. She couldn't feel her legs or butt for 3 hours after she got to work. We also had a Honda 350 four, it was a great bike, very reliable, decent power but not awesome and it was the smoothest bike I have ever owned. My wife would buy another one today! I kept the 650 because it has been in the family since new. I should have sold it and kept the 350 four.

The TX because I'm VERY biased and the recent amount of extensive information about the TX/XS .From XS650.com , The XS650 garage, Brett Riggs and gofastforless (re-phase) , Hugh's handbuilt , so many things are possible without breaking the bank. I did mention my own bias ? Here as well as other sites I've shared my decades of interest in the TX/XS .

The CB400 four because again the amount of information here and SOHC four is extensive . The "little" four is an amazing motorcycle. My personal bias here is only slightly less than the TX/XS . I have owned several through the years and would again . This time I doubt I'd hog out the head leaving a knife edge powerband .

Both because they are so different not only in construction and concept but their usage. Where the TX/XS shines as a commuter mount the CB400 four lives for short straights separated by sweepers out in the country . From the relentless drone of the TX to the high pitched song of the little four you can't really find two more different motorcycles .

If it has to be one the TX/XS . If there is any way to have both please do.

~kop

Back
Top Bottom