Kz400 VM30 cable fitment issue

freemonty

Having a spot of trouble fitting a VM30 kit to my 76 kz400. Kit is from power barn with custom motion pro cable. Problem is the cable end coming out top of carb is contacting the tank and preventing it from sitting all the way down. See pic below. Power barn says no one else has had this issue. If I rotate carbs inward it solves problem but carbs won't be level. I could try Sudco 40deg cable adjusters but I'm afraid the extra length of the adjusters will take up too much free play and prevent the slide from sitting all the way down at idle. What am I missing??
de5885fc7710e11e6638fd8aad150828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I did not use those angled cable ends on mine, they just have the adjuster covered with rubber boot right at the top of the carb cover. However I did have to angle my carbs in just a couple of degrees otherwise the cables were bent a little too tightly for my liking as they also hit the bottom side of the tank. I have a 76 as well. If I remember correctly the spacing on the intakes are a little further apart on the earlier KZ400s than on the later (78+) so on those you'd likely not run into the same issue.

diggerdanh said:
I did not use those angled cable ends on mine, they just have the adjuster covered with rubber boot right at the top of the carb cover. However I did have to angle my carbs in just a couple of degrees otherwise the cables were bent a little too tightly for my liking as they also hit the bottom side of the tank. I have a 76 as well. If I remember correctly the spacing on the intakes are a little further apart on the earlier KZ400s than on the later (78+) so on those you'd likely not run into the same issue.
On my '77 with a 440 and VM28s I used copper tube from the hardware store bent at 90* then to the splitter.

Attachments

• 1 vm28s.jpg
    1 vm28s.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 187
freemonty said:
What cables are you using?

I used a 2 into 1 cable that was advertised for CB350/450 ( if I remember correctly ) and Mikuni VM carbs from a guy who used to sell them on Ebay but I did a quick search and I didn't find it. It only has one cable coming from the throttle, just the pull cable and then under the tank there is a splitter that sends off a cable to each carb. I believe it is a motion pro cable but I don't think they advertise it any longer but it can be special ordered. I do not remember the part number. There are a few places that sell them. Here are 2 from speed moto co, the second has 90 degree bends, mine is like the first:

https://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/029-334.htm
https://www.speedmotoco.com/vm32-vm30-vm34-throttle-cable-2-1-motorcycle-p/029-336.htm

There is also the Universal 2 into 1 cable like the above but you solder the ends on yourself at the lengths that you need.

Back
Top Bottom