XS 650 rear wheel change to a GSXR 750

StrayCat

I started transforming a 1983 XS 650 into a café racer. I have changed the front for a complete GSXR 750 kit (wheel, suspension, calipers etc..). In this kit i acquired seperately there was a rear wheel from the same GSXR. Since i want to change the rear drum for a disc caliper i decided to change the originall wheel at the same time. The problem is the width of the GSXR (8.5) compared to the original. I understand i will need to change the swing arm. Does anyone know which donner bike can provide me with a proper swingarm without having to do too manny modification to it? The chain will probably be offset how can i cope with the problem?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

I'd probably start with the GSXR swingarm and modify to fit in your chassis. That way all the axle and brake stuff is done. BUT! You will need a heck of a countershaft sprocket offset. And then the chain more than likely will have chassis interference. Things to ponder!

Jimmer, The chain is my principal problem. I dont think the chassis will interfere unless i am missing something. The motor cassing will be an issue and this i do not know yet how to get around this problem without oblitaring it...more research is required before i go any further. Thanks for your input. Cheers.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant DO THE TON

Might work better to find an fzr swingarm and a bandit 400 rear wheel. Same 3 spoke design and a 17 while being fairly skinny.

+1 to that

find a wheel from a 400. You'll find that it will still match the front rim width and you'll end up with a useable rear tyre. Fitting the whopper will do you no good. It will look cool against a well groomed beard but sadly never get up to a temperature where it is useable (unless you're brave, experienced and fast).

Thank you Rat_ranger and Pwalo. Very good suggestions that i will dig further before moving forward. Cheers.

Suzuki Bandit 400 are almost impossible to find here in the Province of Quebec...i am now looking into the possibility of using a Suzuki Katana 600. Anyone of you have experience installing this specific wheel on a Yamaha XS 650? It is a 4.5 rim. Will the chain be straight and also clear the frame? Thanks in advance.

I've modified my sr500, which has the same size swing arm as the xs650, with a set from a zxr400. The rear rim is 5,5 inch and holds a 160 tire. I hade to make an offset sprocket both in the from and rear. I'm not done yet so I can't say wether or not it's going to work but so far it has required a lot of work. The good thing is that there are offset front sprockets easily available for the xs650. The rear one will have to be a custom part I guess. I used all parts from the zxr400 and milled down the sides of the swing arm, made bushings from a type of nylon and pressed them in. I think there is pictures in my build thread if you search for my username.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom