www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Nighthawk 250 Project Idea  (Read 405 times)

Offline fuego

• 1978 Honda CB125s
Nighthawk 250 Project Idea
« on: Apr 13, 2017, 23:51:01 »
Here are few ground rules:

• I do hate chopping up old bikes, especially the pretty ones. unless you find them at their lowest point (which is a bit too much for me).
• I want to chop a bike that is undesirable so I don't feel so bad messing with it.
• Familiar with Hondas
• Prefer small simple bikes.
• style is important.
• don't want it to be crazy fast or have a huge engine, just want solid reliability and good on fuel.
• would like it if it wasn't expensive.

I feel like a Nighthawk 250 would be a good candidate for this. I just hate how they look and might find something cheap on the market

here are few ideas:
• drop down the instruments and headlight.
• get clip-ons.
• slide the forks up slightly to lower the front of the bike.
• install longer shocks for the rear.
• modify the existing seat, the cowl is made of another nh250 tank cut up. rear frame needs to be docked.
• as far as wheels go, I hate the stock the 16" rear and 18" front. It would be really cool to have something modern off of a cbr250r. even if the entire front end is off cbr.
• I for some reason like how the stock exhaust looks.
• definitely needs to be painted.

few issues:
• CBR250R front end might not fit properly, would be great to have hydraulic brake, not sure how to get spedometer to work off the CBR front wheel either since its digital on the cbr.
• mounting cbr hydraulic rear brake might be the biggest challenge since it has to be precisely aligned and needs to be welded to the swing arm, is this even safe?
• CBR parts get expensive, might defeat the purpose of building when I can just go buy a CBR250R.

----
My photoshop skills are not great but it's helpful to see something.

Let me know what you guys think. good, bad, ugly, total waste of time would love to hear it all. wish life was easy as photoshop.

thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 00:02:33 by fuego »

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
Re: Nighthawk 250 Project Idea
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2017, 17:04:29 »
It's just nuts and bolts dude. Make it happen.

Was just working on a buddies CB250NH a few weeks ago. A few things I can offer up are:
You will need to change the forks if you want disc brakes. There's no provisions for a caliper mount on the NH's forks. This runs you into the speedo issue you mentioned, but there are aftermarket gauges that use magnetic pickups.
The subframe won't need much if any modification. It's all plastic fender from the seat backward.
As for the 250R rear brake caliper, it locates off the axle. The only thing that'll need to be added/welded to the swingarm is the lug the acts as the "stay". You'll need to find a place to mount the rear master cylinder that works with the NH's current foot lever arrangement. Or mount up the 250R's rearsets. Either option isn't too difficult.

I like the concept pic. And it seems very do-able ;)
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2017, 21:44:43 »
I think it is a good project. We have a neglected NH250 sitting in the garage. It was a learner bike for one of my boys and we started modifications, but never finished them due to their movement to Buells and Ninjas.
Every time I pass by it, I think about finishing it, but it always gets pushed back. Maybe this summer I'll get off my butt and do something with it.

I think you will find Ninja 250 wheels and a fork easier to obtain and cheaper. 
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 21:47:54 by Rider52 »
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650
75 Honda CL 360 "Scrambled"
72 Honda SL350 desert sled it would make Steve McQueen puke!
3 Assorted Honda CL 72 scramblers in a million pieces
3 Harleys in constant state of sorrow and a Buell
1978 Yamaha Chappy 80 burning up the highway
Cut my motor in half Sportster to Shortster

Offline fuego

• 1978 Honda CB125s
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:30:07 »
Didn't even consider ninja. This is good to know. Certainly cheaper. Curious, is it a pain to do a complete front end swap? Especially swapping parts from another make? I know lot of gsx front ends get put on cb's.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2017, 15:43:31 »
All Balls make's some conversion bearings. I have not checked to see the compatibility between a NH250 and a Ninja 250. Sometimes it is necessary to make a new steering stem.  I happen to have both the NH250 and a Ninja 250 in the garage at the moment. I'll measure the necks to see how close they are in size.
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650

Offline fuego

• 1978 Honda CB125s
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2017, 11:07:45 »
This is valuable info, thank you so much.

Started looking for a NH250, cheapest i found is $1500 a 95'. seems a bit nuts when I can buy a CBR250R for $2000 or even a way better and bigger bike for a $1000.

I don't think I want to buy a NH over $1k. $600-$800 seems like a good range. Even 800 sounds crazy. What do you guys think?

Offline Rider52

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2017, 19:24:15 »
Prices are higher now with riding season just around the corner. The only one on the Atlanta Craigslist was $1200 with an obvious electrical problem. So I'm guessing you could get that one for $800 or less. I do believe you will be able to find one in the $600-800 range if you watch for a while.
On another note, if you do the Ninja 250 fork swap it will probably require a stem change. The NH250 uses a smaller diameter stem and there is about 1/2" difference in stem length.  All Balls does not offer conversion bearings for this swap.   
Projects
74 Yamaha TX650

Offline fuego

• 1978 Honda CB125s
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2017, 22:10:54 »
List on all balls was a bit disappointing for this bike. Basically everything was in compatible. Wonder how something like this was done:

This is a Ducati monster front end: http://www.classifiedmoto.com/motorcycles/cb250-pentagon-cafe/

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Better to know problems before a taking everything apart.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON