Comstars + gsx-r front end

Joseph New York said:
IMPORTANT: I entered 26mm for the offset because I measured the caliper offset was 21mm and added 5mm for width. But when I mounted the rotors, they rubbed the inner pads a little, and needed to shim the rotor mounts to center them perfectly. You could offset this by ordering the offset to 22mm or 23mm which would make the height 27mm or 28mm, and this might align better, but I think the option to shim is a luxury and if you went too offset you won't have the option. I ended up adding about 2mm in washers. But its your call. Once the axle is bushed and spaced and you get the wheel and rotors on, wheel spins good, then tighten everything up.

couple questions on your rotor design... you've got 77 for the mounting measurement. Earlier in the thread there was a 78mm measurement - did the holes line up perfectly?

rs_ss350 said:
couple questions on your rotor design... you've got 77 for the mounting measurement. Earlier in the thread there was a 78mm measurement - did the holes line up perfectly?
Yeah perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diyordie said:
Wow, 6 months ago I was looking for this exact info and almost gave up looking to see if others had done it. Nice work! I've got GSXR forks and an 18" mag comstar. I will have to dig out my calipers and verify my measurements against yours. Y'all gave me new hope ;D

I don't really have access to a machine shop. Would somebody here be interested in fabbing up some of the spacers for a bit of $$?

where are ya located?

Joseph New York said:
I can't really handle it for ya, but you can contact the guys that did it for me and see if they will ship. The shop is local to me in Brooklyn, called Yanes Machine Shop http://www.yanesmachineshop.com/ Do great work, have a reasonable minimum, hard to talk to and reach on the phone, easier if ya spoke Spanish.

Another plug is ISR Sweden. They made my custom rotors. They are even harder to speak to, you'll have to rely on email to make the order, and their eMail is almost non-responsivze once your order is made. Also, you have to wire them money converted to SEK. I think mine came to like 4000:-SEC which is like $450. If your going to order, here is their form to download the form below to send em: http://isrbrakes.se/products/brakediscs/custom/ I emailed it to them, but they ask that ya mail or fax it, haha yeah right. Finally attached are the measurements I sent in my order form. IMPORTANT: I entered 26mm for the offset because I measured the caliper offset was 21mm and added 5mm for width. But when I mounted the rotors, they rubbed the inner pads a little, and needed to shim the rotor mounts to center them perfectly. You could offset this by ordering the offset to 22mm or 23mm which would make the height 27mm or 28mm, and this might align better, but I think the option to shim is a luxury and if you went too offset you won't have the option. I ended up adding about 2mm in washers. But its your call. Once the axle is bushed and spaced and you get the wheel and rotors on, wheel spins good, then tighten everything up.

Thank you, Joseph. This really takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. Once I double check my setup, I'll probably order the custom rotors. Seems to be the way to go over the 5-star/6-star adapters mentioned earlier.

focusinprogress said:
where are ya located?
I'm in Los Angeles.

diyordie said:
Thank you, Joseph. This really takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. Once I double check my setup, I'll probably order the custom rotors. Seems to be the way to go over the 5-star/6-star adapters mentioned earlier.
I'm in Los Angeles.

dang, opposite coast. probably wouldn't be cost effective for me to do it for you with the shipping it would require to send me the parts and send them back to you finished.

Now, what about the bearing retainer ring? On the one side, there is none because the speedo boss was there, but there's the threaded one on the other side. I won't have the speedo boss in there any more, and if i go with the 25mm axle, the bearing being a few mm thinner than stock, the retainer would be useless.

focusinprogress said:
without the retainer side-loading such as cornering could push the wheel off the bearings.

?
Unless you fit a sidecar, there is no side loading (unless your already crashing ;D )
The bearings are also held by the axle, any wear in the outer race due to side loads would be visible or noticeable before it became dangerous

Axle spacers shouldn't be putting side load contact on the outer diameter of the bearings or they'll burn up. They should only be in contact with the inner ring.

Have you guys ever installed bearings on a comstar wheel....where as you're pounding one bearing into place the other one starts pounding out if you don't put the retainer in? That's what I'm saying is the concern....the wheel is essentially free to move across the outer race of the bearings without the retainer in place.

right, this isn't something we've discussed on this thread yet. the axle spacers only would come into contact with the center of the bearing. so we do need some kind of retainer for the bearings from what i'm hearing. so there's the right side of the hub with threads for a retainer, the other side is where the speedo boss was, no threads. what's the solution?

focusinprogress said:
Have you guys ever installed bearings on a comstar wheel....where as you're pounding one bearing into place the other one starts pounding out if you don't put the retainer in? That's what I'm saying is the concern....the wheel is essentially free to move across the outer race of the bearings without the retainer in place.

so then when the bearing width goes from 13mm to 9mm, there needs to be a 4mm retainer spacer too? my comstar wishes are looking bleak

the retainer threads should go deeper than the 13mm bearing height on the right side of the hub. If it still leaves a gap to the top of the bearing, just make a little spacer the same ID of the retainer and OD of the bearing so it takes up the gap. There's no "cup" behind the bearing on the speedo drive side, so without the retainer on the right side the whole internal bearing and sleeve assembly can be pushed out the right side. basically, the wheel id designed to lock the right side bearing and then the assembly itself cannot move once the axle and spacers are in and tightened.

diyordie said:
I don't really have access to a machine shop. Would somebody here be interested in fabbing up some of the spacers for a bit of $$?
My remote machinist will handle 2 bushings and 2 spacers for ya for $20! I should have asked him to mine originally, I paid 4 times that at my local spot. @diyordie PM me and I'll make it happen, he has the measurements and can get to it late next week when I give him the go ahead. Let me know.

irk miller said:
Axle spacers shouldn't be putting side load contact on the outer diameter of the bearings or they'll burn up. They should only be in contact with the inner ring.
Cool, glad my design only contacts the inner then.

Update, got my centering spacers in and everything comes together nicely (thanks Joe for the spacer help), with good caliper clearance - yes! I bored out the hub to allow for the 25mm axle and 32mm od spacer. I'm using a 79 goldwing comstar, spokes are more narrow than the other comstar i was trying to use. Here's my measurements for the spacers for anyone else who might want to use a 2007 GSX-R front end with an early version comstar rim (of course measure for yourself to make sure they match up):

comstar-gsx-diargam-25mm.jpg

and here's the wheel installed:

gsxr-comstar-installed.jpg

rs_ss350 said:
Update, got my centering spacers in and everything comes together nicely (thanks Joe for the spacer help), with good caliper clearance - yes! I bored out the hub to allow for the 25mm axle and 32mm od spacer. I'm using a 79 goldwing comstar, spokes are more narrow than the other comstar i was trying to use. Here's my measurements for the spacers for anyone else who might want to use a 2007 GSX-R front end with an early version comstar rim (of course measure for yourself to make sure they match up):

comstar-gsx-diargam-25mm.jpg

and here's the wheel installed:

gsxr-comstar-installed.jpg

Yes! Glad I help contribute to this feat, looks sweet!

Is that a 19" wheel??

What's the plans for the rotors?

rs_ss350 said:
Awesome! looks solid man!

rs_ss350 said:
eRock, question on your measurements here for the rotor spacers... since my hub mounting surface to mounting surface is 80mm instead of the 70mm you have, would my spacers need to be 5mm less on each side (23.5mm?)

Thanks!
Sorry I totally flaked out on this question, I actually never saw it, but yes that sounds correct

Back
Top Bottom