Comstars + gsx-r front end

Streetfighterkz said:
Also if you need more diameter than 320mm disk, the CBR929/954 use 330mm rotors, I believe.

Would it be advisable to go that route? If so, what size would the caliper spacers need to be? 15mm?

One advantage of larger diametr rotors is it moves caliper further out from centre so you get a little more spoke clearance

erock85 said:
Im thinking 10mm, 330-310=20/2=10

Thanks! In the meantime I'd like to get my axle spacers ordered up... so considering the 153mm fork width, 64.5mm inner collar, 2x9mm bearings, and built in 13mm spacer on the left side of the axle, I get 35.25 on the right spacer, and 22.25 on the left... does that sound right?

rs_ss350 said:
Thanks! In the meantime I'd like to get my axle spacers ordered up... so considering the 153mm fork width, 64.5mm inner collar, 2x9mm bearings, and built in 13mm spacer on the left side of the axle, I get 35.25 on the right spacer, and 22.25 on the left... does that sound right?
Assuming your measurements are correct, that seems to work out mathematically.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 265
I just started another comstar to gsxr project last night, maybe these will help you.

7CB95C68-D9D8-4CCE-B15C-11946724DAE7_zpsorx2rg7u.jpg

587FD26F-90BD-406C-8107-888326DE9236_zpsjiuznp9v.jpg

5EA46EAE-850C-4491-90DD-8FF46CCB775F_zpsmgdaw87c.jpg

CA9F0332-C91D-4A0B-ACFF-6E6B3A467E5D_zpsya2wdq5i.jpg

I'm waiting for new parting blades to arrive so I can make the rotor adapters next. might get those started friday.

Whoa cool. You're using the original axle. Are you not finding any issues with the calipers coming into contact within the rim? Those rims don't quite look like mine from what I can tell. Can you zoom out on the rim?

rs_ss350 said:
Whoa cool. You're using the original axle. Are you not finding any issues with the calipers coming into contact within the rim? Those rims don't quite look like mine from what I can tell. Can you zoom out on the rim?

There's about 3/32" clearance from the wheel to the calipers here....these are the early comstars, I'm guessing you have the later ones where they flipped the spokes and they're black with the edges curved outward instead of inward? that's where the clearance issue differs.

Depending on the bike and availability of bearings, sometimes it's easier to make the stock axle work like this rather than getting bearings. I like using earlier GSXR (like 94-97) because they use a 20mm axle instead of 25 and I can get bearings to work with that. VZ800 front ends work well too....because they use a 17mm axle and bearings are available to go that size as well....

I'm also currently doing vz800 front end on a '79 goldwing GL1000 using the stock comstar similar to this, but on that one I did bearings and drilled the left fork leg to use SV650 calipers so it could be dual disc.

focusinprogress said:
I'm guessing you have the later ones where they flipped the spokes and they're black with the edges curved outward instead of inward? that's where the clearance issue differs.

Yep, that describes the ones I have. I have them on my 79... looks like they are 3rd gen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comstar_wheel

Hi guys, back again after getting spacers delivered - both axle and caliper.

Question on axle spacers - the inner spacer between the bearings, should there be any clearance between the inner bearing surface and the spacer surface? I assume the spacer shouldn't be spinning with the bearings? And then for the centering spacers, same thing - I find if they're nice and tight with the bearing it obviously stops or hinders the bearing from turning... should there be some clearance there, and would that then introduce some play in the wheel?

As for the caliper spacers, the 10mm gives me more clearance, but I still get rubbing. Going to try to shave some meat off caliper and rim as a last resort before calling it a day with the comstars.

Thanks!

Well, looks like the caliper and rims would need to lose a lot of meat for this setup... so looks like i need to abandon these rims. However, I am thinking of getting the earlier model comstar as they are generally well priced.

Thanks! The earlier photos you posted with the older comstars from photobucket seem to be blocked from 3rd party hosting. Can you repost those?

Yep, I'm pretty pissed with Photobucket as well. Luckily I only have 0.50 GB stored, still a few thousand pics though

Back
Top Bottom