XS 750 blinker craze

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys!

Cant get my left front blinker and left rear blinker to work.
Measured the connection from front to back with my multimeter the cable connections are ok.
When I connect the blinker to a battery it works.
When I connect the blinker ground to the battery minus its still not working....
I'm running the stock relais so I guess one blinker is holding back the other one.

Please help!
c639ec5a88a8db72b5c4589a4e4e2545.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Just measured the switch...green and yellow work properly....these seem to be the switched plus for the blinkers...
2fbce41ad9f0a86e5c022ad5c3d804a2.jpg
2fb91209ecb5461c19f156b05e5cf1d6.jpg

Could be a bug in the flasher relay. Too much resistance and the relay will not flash, too little and it flashes too fast. Just a thought. 100% bonafide electridiot here

Pull the bulb from the signal indicator between the gauges and see if that changes anything.
You aren't running LED's by chance are you?

Bike is fully stock with stock blinkers and bulbs.
Relais is stock and was working till I installed new higher bars...thats why my guess was on a malconntection....
Ok I'll pull the bulb tomorrow,so I guess what youre trying to test is if the relais went dead?

Can a relais go bad on one side (e.g. here left side)?

No. circuit is:

Power -> flasher relay -> switch -> indicator bulbs -> ground

If you use LED bulbs, a stock OEM flasher will not flash properly. If bulbs are too low wattage i.e. resistance, they will not flash either. What wattage are the left and right bulbs?

And as Gaqrc suggested, try it without the idiot light. With LEDs or low resistance bulbs that can screw things up. Easily fixed with a couple of diodes or the unit from Sparcks (Sonreir)

All bulbs are stock no leds involved.
Just pulled one of the blinker control bulbs...no change...the right side still blinks in the right frequency,left side is dead.

The blinker bulbs are 21W the control bulb is 3.4W.
Relais is stock yamaha with 3 pins (c,l,b).
7700292682bad67dbf8c617defe6191f.jpg

Ryan, just bridge the relay, so you have a constant light and then wiggle the wiring loom as I showed you on Monday so you can find the broken cable.

der_nanno said:
Ryan, just bridge the relay, so you have a constant light and then wiggle the wiring loom as I showed you on Monday so you can find the broken cable.
Which of the 3 pins should I bridge?

Thanks!

If you're using the stock relay, try disconnecting the green/yellow wire from the relay. There might be a problem with the flasher canceller?

Sorry guys, had no time the last days to check:

Had to replace my Fuse box, the old one had a bad connection.
The blinker problem however is still there.

I used a piece of wire and "jumped" the relais...then both right blinkers worked...nada on the left.
So my guess is that anything BEFORE the relais must be the problem.

Sonreir™ said:
If you're using the stock relay, try disconnecting the green/yellow wire from the relay. There might be a problem with the flasher canceller?

My stock relais has BROWN, BROWN WHITE and YELLOW BLACK wires.
Which one should I disconnect?

Thanks!

Disconnect the yellow/black. If that doesn't work, run the yellow/black directly to ground and bypass the harness.

Sparck, why would you do that? The relay has already been proven to work and even with the relay taken out of the equation (bridging it) the same fault occured as such this is a good mod to give the relay proper ground, but it will not solve the problem.

My guess is either that the handlebarswitch for the left blinker is effed up or the plug for the relais is faulty.
how can I test if the switch on the handlebar is working correctly?

I already measured the consistency of the electrical signal and it was ok...

On my 79 there is a sensor in the speedometer that is used for the self cancelling feature. From what I've read this looks at movement of the odometer to cancel the flashing. Sounds crazy for 1979 but it's there. It is a little strip mounted on the underside of the speedo bucket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom