KZ550 ltd. has anyone here made one cool?

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Lets be honest, kz550 ltd's aren't what I would call a "good looking bike" with "great lines" or anything like that, but that said.. I bought a 1982 (chain drive model) on the super cheap over the weekend with a title and 135+ psi on all cylinders. Im pretty sure it will run without to much headache. I know its not a great base for a café bike, but besides a 4cyl jap bobber, have any of you guys turned one of these things into something cool? If so, care to share a little inspiration?

p.s. to any die hard kz550 ltd fans, I really didn't mean to pee in your Wheaties ;)
a27201249248daa423ff9f38ae97f786.jpg

Working on making one cool now. It's a top secret project though. Seriously.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cyclefreak said:
Working on making one cool now. It's a top secret project though. Seriously.

Dang it lol just getting my hopes up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are there any die hard KZ550LTD fans in existence? anybody who is into the 550s usually likes the "A" or GPZ models. I guess it depends on how deep you want to go to make it cool. The drop in the subframe makes it hard. There are three ways to approach the drop frame, IMHO. Accept it and use it as a design feature, cut it out and fabricate a new subframe, or ignore it. The problem with ignoring it is anything you put on there that doesnt follow or hide the frame lines tends to look pretty mickey mouse.

Attachments

• images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 859
  • kz550.jpeg
    kz550.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 419
  • ltd3.jpg
    ltd3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,246
You got this...

Everything I see on the internet is a start of a project that never gets finished.

This is the least terrible one I could find.

116df6e06cb62c72ede7e97db379ade7.jpg

Edit: ha! doc beat me to it.

doc_rot said:
Are there any die hard KZ550LTD fans in existence? anybody who is into the 550s usually likes the "A" or GPZ models. I guess it depends on how deep you want to go to make it cool. The drop in the subframe makes it hard. There are three ways to approach the drop frame, IMHO. Accept it and use it as a design feature, cut it out and fabricate a new subframe, or ignore it. The problem with ignoring it is anything you put on there that doesnt follow or hide the frame lines tends to look pretty mickey mouse.

ha your first line is gold!

I am a welder by trade with a mandrel tubing bender and a reckless amount of carelessness towards this bike. I may just hack it and make a sub frame. those pictures have all come up in my google searches of late since buying the bike. the subframe, chopper wheel sizes and long forks are what seem to really not lend itself to non bobber customization. that said, besides the firestones, I really don't hate this one either....

eaca6e579fa0834dc88fb31e31207898.jpg

I just cant get into hardtail 4cylinder jap bikes for some reason. so its looking like it may just need a little message in the sub frame region

cyclefreak said:
And actually I just realized the pic I posted isn't a 550.

still an ltd no?

advCo said:
Everything I see on the internet is a start of a project that never gets finished.

yeah, that's what I saw too, and thinking that there may be a reason for that hahahaha

I looked up your thread. Looking good man!

HURCO550 said:
I am a welder by trade with a mandrel tubing bender and a reckless amount of carelessness towards this bike.

why are we even having this discussion? chop that shit! i think the 18" rear wheel off a kz550A will be plug and play. all the 550s including the 81GPZ had leading axles forks.

doc_rot said:
why are we even having this discussion? chop that shit! i think the 18" rear wheel off a kz550A will be plug and play. all the 550s including the 81GPZ had leading axles forks.
Sounds like it's decided then lol would you happen to know If a kz550a/ gpz aftermarket 4 into 1 will work on the ltd?

https://youtu.be/t6WDE4pZwWM

Shoot for this yammy 550...check the date before you hate. This was a space rocket in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom