GS550 cafe inspired (first build)

DeadKing

Thought id share my project bike with you guys. I'm nearing completion of my first extensive build. It's a 1979 GS550e I bought for $500. It's by no means a traditional style cafe, but I'm very proud of how it's turning out. P.s. sorry for the crap pictures. I spend all my money on parts and tools rather than a decent phone ;D

Attachments

• 20170427_134424.jpg
    20170427_134424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
  • 20170427_134436.jpg
    20170427_134436.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 272
Great work so far. 8)

As for "traditional Cafe Racer" - leave that to boring old farts like me who are stuck in the sixties !! ::)

It's good to see the newer generations of special builders [ English term from the 50's ] can still produce novel and unique bikes - after all, that's how it all started ! ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I have bad news to report though. After first startup and re- jetting; I took it out on it's maiden voyage. The idle was terrible. Erratic at best, but I pushed on to try and shake it down. After about 10 miles, my lights started flickering and then turned off completely. It was running still so I pulled over thinking it was a loose connection. All the sudden smoke then FLAME erupted. I ripped the gas tank off in panic to fine the source. Brand new Antigravity 8 cell battery exploded. The bike even fell over after I yanked the gas tank off. I'm so bummed. I won't know the extent of the damage until I get it back to my shop. :'(

Sounds like your Regulator/Rectifier wasn't working properly. Go buy a Mosfet R/R... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70108.0

Back
Top Bottom