Shocks with narrow "eyes"

ascot500

I am looking for replacement shocks for this 1974 "Harley" Aermacchi SS350.

The eyes are 10mm ID, but they are only about 19mm wide.

Hagon lists replacements but they are pricey.

Anyone know of where I can find something else? - I am not interested in replacing them with another OEM set.

Attachments

• 100_2514.JPG
    100_2514.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 240
If you don't like the price of Hagons, you should stop shopping now. They are about the most budget friendly shock out there that isnt junk.

+1

Hagons might be the best bang for the buck on the market. Not uncommon to find them barely used on eBay, since they came stock on some newer Triumphs.

Hagon 32045

Found some on ebay UK

$200 plus $100 for shipping
About half of what I have in the bike now
They better have a lot of "bang"

OK, after more research I believe that the "standard" width for the eyes on European bikes is 18 mm

Can anyone recommend a less pricey alternative to the Hagons?
Are Redwings any good?

This bike will never be used on a track and will only be ridden for fun on the road

FYI, I bought a set of EMGO 17-05592 shocks
They are intended for Norton Commandos

The bushings are 19.1 mm wide with a 9.5 mm diameter ID

Since the upper mount has two clearance holes per, I used 3/8-16 bolts

The lower mount is threaded on one side for the bolt
The shock bushings were just a hair too small for the existing bolts, so I wound up ever so slightly reducing the OD on the bolts

Emgo anything is practically junk. You would be better off finding a used OEM set that isnt leaking and in good cosmetic shape. That at least gives you a fighting chance of getting something that works and getting a deal.

Buying shocks isnt just about buying the right length, its about having ones made for a bike in that weight range. If you really want to split hairs, nicer shocks need valving changes for every 20lbs the bike + rider weight changes for maximum performance. Even budget-minded shocks like Hagons will be build for you and your bike and will perform lightyears ahead of any Chinese garbage.

I don't understand the question.... If the eye in the shock is much smaller than the frame or swingarm, can't you just use a washer or machine up a spacer? Or did I miss something ? Or are teh frame and swingarm too narrow for other shocks?

Nice bike BTW. That should look stunning when you finish it.

Teazer - Thanks for the compliment

The frame and swingarm are too narrow
Both mounting points surround the shock eye, unlike some bikes on which the shock bolts are cantilevered

Most shocks that I have looked at online have a 22mm width
The EMGO shocks for Nortons are 19.1mm and are a perfect fit

That means eye-to-eye shocks are needed. Hagons are 17mm wide at the eyes. You can get bushings from 19mm wide to 24mm wide and for bolt sizes from 8mm to 16mm. Make sure in doing your research that you're not confusing bushing sizes with the actual measurement of the shock eye.

I believe that most of the RFY have near 19mm width eyes. I'd have to measure a set to be sure, but I've sold more than a few sets built for Ascots and nobody complained to me so I assume they worked. And like Irk mentioned, yes they are eye to eye.

Here is how it looks now

Still needs foot pegs, tires and spokes
The tires that are on it are the original Pirellis

Does any know where to get the Ceriani forks rebuilt?

Attachments

• June24 17.JPG
    June24 17.JPG
    869.2 KB · Views: 233
Back
Top Bottom