CB360 front right signal issue

Tonnotyetdone

Trying to eradicate the gremlins from my CB360. Currently, the right front blinker does not work. Running lights work on both sides, and both rear blinkers and left front turn signal work as well. Tried a couple of bulbs in the right turn signal assembly to rule out one of the dual filaments being busted, but no luck. Tried testing for power going to the blinker, but had no luck getting connection. I was using a continuity tester grounded to the engine...worked for the running lights, but I couldn't get a light with either turn signal. Should I be grounding it at the stem? All connections seem to be intact and the turn signal flasher has been replaced. Wiring diagrams have been of little help thus far. Any ideas or help regarding the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my XT1565 using DO THE TON mobile app

If you're getting running lights, but no flash or continuity on that turn signal light then you have to have a bunk connector. It should be a baby blue wire, probably stuffed in the headlight bucket.

I tried to duplicate the test on the turn signal wires on the left side as well - continuity light came on for the running lights, but nothing for the actual flasher wire on either side. Is there somewhere else I should be grounding the continuity tester for those particular wires? Or should I just be using a multimeter?

The way the turn signals work, is the relay grounds to negative. A metal strip heats up, bends and dissconnects, then cools and reconnects over and and over and over when the switch is on. So, your orange and baby blue wires should all have connectivity to the handlebar control switch and they should be hot. The negative wire should all have continuity to the flasher relay. The flasher relay should have a grey wire that has continuity to the grey wire in the handlebar switch and a black wire that's hot and continuous to the black black wire in the regulator.

Sorry, I should clarify (as much as I can) - the wires from the front turn signals that have a one on one connection (can't recall if these are the solid or striped orange and light blue wires) trigger the continuity light. The wires that have the 2 into 1 connection on both turn signals do not. I apologize, I wasn't referring to the flasher unit itself or the wires directly connected to it. I wasn't sure if the wires with the 2 into 1 connection in the bucket operate on a different type of circuit or not...can't seem to figure out why there would be no tester light when testing those connections with the respective signals turned on.

Hey there,

I just had a similar issue with my CB125s that I was converting to 12v.

For my front right turning signal it turned out the ground was not good where it connected to the headlight bracket. My bike is 36 years old so it had a bit of corrosion I needed to grind off on that bracket. Once I fixed that the turn signal would work and sometimes not.

Today I found out that the turning signal bulb that inserts into the dash, the whole socket for it was not properly grounded keeping only my front right turning signal from working. Might not be your issue but I would investigate all possible grounds on your bike. My wiring diagram did not show that the dashlights had a ground but that turned out to be my issue. Hope this helps :)

For what it is worth all my dashlights were functioning when the ground issue was still present. I had to push in the turn signal bulb for the dash and yet it was working when my right front turn signal would not illuminate.

So I took a look at the indicator lights. Made sure all the connections were working to the best of my abilities. I switched the front signals at their connections in the headlight bucket to see if I could duplicate the results. From what I can tell, the turn signal itself is not working as the left side connected to the right side wires worked fine. Thanks for all the help though!

That's good news though! these old 70s-80s lights are so friggen simple you might be able to do a simple fix instead of buying a new one (although you can obviously do that and you might get one that is more aesthetically pleasing).

I recommend looking up the exact bike you have on this site and finding the exploded diagram for your turning signal : http://www.partzilla.com/

Alternatively you can use a multimeter to do a test on the internal wire to see if it got split inside the casing or something. You might have to just unscrew a few bolts and place in a new fresh automotive wire.

Back
Top Bottom