Starting troubles

The ignition wires between your coils and the plug caps tend to "corrode" over time on their ends.
Take the plug caps of and cut down 1cm and rescrew them in (I like to put a tiny dab of battery grease on the cable before re-screwing).
I had the same issue on the coil side too....the cable was completely black from soot.

The connection between cable and coils/plug caps work like a "wood screw"...so pretty crude.

Youre regulator should protect your battery from overcharging, it can cook over if its charging too hard....be careful.

-->I had the same issue and found out that there was a malconnection in the loom to the regulator,check all the connectors to the regulator!

Try to cut the cables first and see what happens.

Did you clean your carbs?

One type of the XS carbs has a starting circuit which is "embedded" into the float chambers...there is a tiny orifice which when blocked can cause these issues!maybe you can unscrew one of your float chambers and upload a pic of the inside!

Good luck!!stay on it!!

Did the plug cap yesterday, it helped a little, and charging the battery helped, even though it's at the same volts. I'll look for a spark plug after I get off work, hopefully an auto store will have it!

I did clean the carbs Awhile back, and I will do the other stuff you said after I get off work aswell, better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Have you swapped the coil with the strong spark with a weaker coil to see if the condition changes when you move things around?

Not yet, I will differently do it when I get home. I didn't want to take off the tank since I had to work, and one of the taps leak when I take the tank off

So I checked the spark just in case before I took off my tank...spark was bright blue on all of them(even the rusty one, which I cleaned some) I went to an auto store and they said none of their branches carried the one I need so I think I need to order it online but it should be fine for now....I think I had a weak ground (and the wire as I cut a little off) is why I had weak spark and why it made the bike sound like it was low on battery even though it had a good charge(maybe a little to good).... the bike does start now, but it still is not starting as good as I want t to. Should I still check the coils even though their is a good spark on all?

Xs7501978 said:
So I checked the spark just in case before I took off my tank...spark was bright blue on all of them(even the rusty one, which I cleaned some) I went to an auto store and they said none of their branches carried the one I need so I think I need to order it online but it should be fine for now....I think I had a weak ground (and the wire as I cut a little off) is why I had weak spark and why it made the bike sound like it was low on battery even though it had a good charge(maybe a little to good).... the bike does start now, but it still is not starting as good as I want t to. Should I still check the coils even though their is a good spark on all?

Could you post a picture which carbs are mounted on youre XS?
As I already stated,check your carbs and float bowls.

Is your ignition adjusted properly?

Ryan Stecken said:
Could you post a picture which carbs are mounted on youre XS?
As I already stated,check your carbs and float bowls.

Is your ignition adjusted properly?
What do you mean is my ignition adjusted properly?
And this is a pic of the inside of my carbs from
c9c1b887e440819da3d1d6b7c3c5b8bf.jpg
when I took them apart

Back
Top Bottom