cb550 voltage drop between starter solenoid and fuse block

bergers

Hey everyone, I posted a few weeks ago about having troubles getting a taillight/blinker combo not working, one of the reasons I later found was all lights/accessories getting about 9v, when the battery is at 12v(I know it's supposed to be around 13v, I've been messing with wiring for the past few months). I decided to work back to an original setup and at least get that to work. The root reason for me going through all of the wiring was that the flasher is 12v, but it's getting only 9v, which led my friend and I to believe that's why it wasn't flashing since it wasn't getting the contact strip inside the flasher relay(don't know the actual name) hot enough to bend. Either way, I traced the woven red/white wire which starts with 12v off of the starter solenoid, and there is a huge drop somewhere between there and the fuse block. I have 3 questions
1) does ALL power before being distributed go through the fuse block?
2) is my fuse block bad? Or should I go replacing the wire and bullet connectors? or
3) am I an idiot and the battery needs to be fully charged/ bike needs to run for the accessories to get a full 12v

1.) Most. I would keep working with the multimeter to try to find the spot where the voltage is dropping. Red/white wires are usually unfused, so you might be looking at a situation with the fuse box.

2.) You have to test to be certain. Find the thick red wire going in and make sure it has 12V. Then check the wires coming out and see if there is drop. It might just be the fuse and not the fuse block. Ignition switch is also a possibility.

3.) Not likely.

Thanks for replying, I did a bit more digging. First I charged the battery so it was above 12v, currently sits at 12.5v. Then I checked the fuse box some more, discovered there is no voltage drop across the 15A fuse, only the 10A and 5A fuses. I traced the power from the fuse box to the igntion switch, which is getting 12.5v, then turn the switch and thee supply and output of the switch drop to 11.5v. I figured this was an ignition switch problem so I took it apart and found some dirt/carbon on one of the contacts. It didn't look too bad so I cleaned it all and rebuilt it and still get the same issue. In your opinion is it still the switch or something else?

Attachments

• 20171107_143410.jpg
    20171107_143410.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 202
It could any number of things. What I had posted were just guesses. You'll probably need to go through each connection with your multimeter and find the spot where the voltage drops before you can 100% correct the problem. While you're there, any connections you disconnect can/should be cleaned up before being plugged back in.

In many cases of voltage drop, you're dealing with more than one "bad" connection. What happens is that two connections work in conjunction to increase resistance and create what's known as a voltage divider.

Back
Top Bottom