Motogadget M-unit blue

sporty_juan

Honda's and Harley's
Need a little help.
I have no idea where to hook up the ignition output lead. I have tried it on many wires dealing with the ignition system and I am getting no spark.

Second question. I am utilizing a 4 button switch setup. According to the manual that is configuration E. So do I simply wire the start input and the light input to the same switch and split them at the unit? Same goes for the kill and horn.

1981 Cm400t.

Re: Motogadget M-unit blue

sporty_juan said:
Need a little help.
I have no idea where to hook up the ignition output lead. I have tried it on many wires dealing with the ignition system and I am getting no spark.

Second question. I am utilizing a 4 button switch setup. According to the manual that is configuration E. So do I simply wire the start input and the light input to the same switch and split them at the unit? Same goes for the kill and horn.

might help to know what bike?

MiniatureNinja said:
the black/white wire going to the CDI should be the one you want to give power to with the "ign" out port
Ok thank you, that's the one that stood out on the schematics so I believe I have a problem elsewhere. Time to troubleshoot again. Thank you for helping me get over that hurdle!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using DO THE TON mobile app

MiniatureNinja said:
the black/white wire going to the CDI should be the one you want to give power to with the "ign" out port

Sorry. That's not correct.

The Honda twins made on or after 1978 use a CDI ignition system, powered directly from the alternator and the black/white wire kills the ignition system when it's grounded. Don't put power onto the black/white wire.

There is no hookup on the m-unit for the ignition system on a CM400.

If you want one, you're going to need to include a relay.

Find yourself a five pin automotive relay or a four pin normally closed relay (which are less common and more expensive). I'll assume you're going with the five pin.

On the relay, pin 30 and pin 86 will be grounded. Pin 87 is unused and should be capped off to prevent undesired operation. Pin 85 will go to the IGNITION output of the m-unit. Pin 87a goes to the black/white from the ignition unit.

Logical operation works as follows: When power is off, the relay is closed and provides a connection from the black/white wire on the ignition system, through pin 87a, to pin 30, to ground. Grounding the black/white wire is what kills the ignition system on this bike. When power is on and the IGNITION circuit is energized, the relay gets power through pin 85, through to pin 86 (ground). This energizes the relay and forces it open. An open relay means no connection to ground for the black/white wire and so the ignition system will operate.

oh thanks for clearing that up! I realize now thinking about it when we took all the bar switches/controls off the 400m we did that I didn't use those wires, for some reason I was thinking we connected them :(

my bad

Sonreir said:

The Honda twins made on or after 1978 use a CDI ignition system, powered directly from the alternator and the black/white wire kills the ignition system when it's grounded. Don't put power onto the black/white wire.

Find yourself a five pin automotive relay or a four pin normally closed relay (which are less common and more expensive). I'll assume you're going with the five pin.

On the relay, pin 30 and pin 86 will be grounded. Pin 87 is unused and should be capped off to prevent undesired operation. Pin 85 will go to the IGNITION output of the m-unit. Pin 87a goes to the black/white from the ignition unit.

Logical operation works as follows: When power is off, the relay is closed and provides a connection from the black/white wire on the ignition system, through pin 87a, to pin 30, to ground. Grounding the black/white wire is what kills the ignition system on this bike. When power is on and the IGNITION circuit is energized, the relay gets power through pin 85, through to pin 86 (ground). This energizes the relay and forces it open. An open relay means no connection to ground for the black/white wire and so the ignition system will operate.
This is fantastic. And just in time because like you said powering the black and white wire does not work. Now. It makes sense as to why the muint was telling me something was not right. I will get a relay ASAP and hook it how you said. Thank you again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using DO THE TON mobile app

Sonreir said:

If I were to have accidentally put power to the black /white wire to the Cdi would that fry my CDI?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom