Turn signals are not flashing

djsmiles

Been Around the Block
I've been working on this bike off and on for a year and a half now. I have a wire coming off the ignition coil to the red wire on the new flasher pictured, then the black wire going to the turn signal switch (I tried it the other way too) and all they do is light up. At least they are wired left/right correctly. This part should be pretty simple. Right? Do I need to use resistors?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
Resistors should not be needed if the flasher is designed for LEDs.

I would take the setup off of the bike and test it on your work bench. It might help to isolate any problems.

The circuit would look like this:

Battery Positive Terminal -> Flasher Relay Battery Wire -> Flasher Relay Load Wire -> LED Turn Signal Positive Wire -> LED Turn Signal Negative Wire -> Battery Negative Terminal

If it doesn't flash, your relay is probably bad.

The only deviation from your instructions is that I'm pulling power from the ignition instead of directly from the battery. I was told not to ground straight to the battery, but you say it's ok. I don't want to have to remove the turn signals, they're wired through the handlebars which was difficult the first time. So I'll order a new flasher and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Grounding directly to the battery is technically OK. It's usually not advised because removing the battery is simpler when you don't have three dozen wires to disconnect.

Pulling power directly from the battery is the real sin, but because this is just a test and not meant to stay this way, it's not as bad.

Sounds good.

Our flasher is marked with a positive and a negative stamp on each of the terminals. Positive is power and negative heads off toward your turn signal switch.

If this is going on your Honda 360, these wires are black and then gray, respectively.

all the wiring is from scratch. i junked everything and started over with very minimal wiring so it should be pretty simple. thanks for all your help.

turns out i mixed up the white wire from the turn switch with the very light gray wire from the kill switch. now i have three working flashers. thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom