Starter + lights problem

.:dutchmaxi:.

I'm having trouble with my electric starter and the lighting on my Keeway Speed 125 (dont judge me :p)
Everything worked fine, but since a little while it felt like the battery wasn't charging properly, would not start in the morning and would start after 10 min or riding. Now it won't start with the e-start at all, also lighting is dim.

What I tried so far is charging the battery, seems to give me 12volts on the multimeter.

Can a broken battery still give 12volts but not enough current to power lights or a starter?

ps I also own a 78 Honda XL125 to make up for this chinese monstrosity

.:dutchmaxi:. said:
Can a broken battery still give 12volts but not enough current to power lights or a starter?

Yes, definitely.

Low voltage on a battery is a good indication that it's dead, but good voltage doesn't mean that the battery is good.

The way to test if a battery is good is using a load test. With an electric start bike this is pretty easy. Use a multimeter to measure voltage across the battery terminals, turn the bike on, then hit the starter button. If the battery drops below 9.5V you probably want to get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom