Mr. E's CB750 (The Black and Tan) But wait, theres MORE! Barber preperations..

Re: Mr. E's caffeinating of a CB750 (The Black and Tan)

Laid some Paint last week! If anyone cares about the color used, it is "barley" from lowes paint area. I took a sample to the local ppg paint store and they matched it with some one step paint. so 80 bucks later, here we are.

FinallyPainted.jpg

and here's the side covers

SideCovers-Painted.jpg

Now the original seat has bothered me for quite a while. it was a re-cover someone did a long time ago and looked like it was wide enough for my mother in law to use. so I started shaping it, and picked up a chunk of brown cowhide to get it redone in.

OriginalSeat.jpg

And here's a rough mock up

SeatMockup.jpg

Yes, those are Roc City Clipons! Bought them almost a year ago, and they are the reason for this year long detour of restoration. I was getting ready to install them, and noticed a lot of rust under the headlight ears, so I thought cleaning and painting the forks and triple tree would be a good idea.... then noticed a rust spot on the frame I didn't like....etc, here we are a year later!

Clipons.jpg

And here is a side shot. The inspiration for the color actually came from the frothy head on a pint of Guinness one night. So rather than take a fresh glass of stout into lowe's to match paint samples, I brought a stack of samples home to match with my pint :) Less explaining that way...

sideshot.jpg

Since these pics were taken, Ive been playing with getting the wiring harness back in, and playing with the for boots to make a system that will use my old ones but not require the gaudy oem fork ears. So I took a rubber boot out of the old ones, stretched the boots around it, and will be topping it in black silicon as soon a s I find it in my shed of misfit toys.

WOW....this thing is really looking great...this is going to be a good one for sure!

Started Adding Wiring Harness bits the other night, and have been having a riot of a time remembering where everything went last year (that came apart SO easily.) I think its working out ok, Got the headlight ears from dime city cycles (love the prices) as well as the brushed aluminum turn signals that will be added soon. Adjusting the clipons has been an adventure, but I know they will be well worth it once finished.

HarnessFront.jpg

Got the chain in yesterday from Sprocket Center. Went on a whim to see if the red on the chain matched the red on my wheels and shocks, looks like a win so far.

SeeingRed.jpg

The chain isn't really mounted yet, as I forgot my dremel tool and can't trim the links until tomorrow night. Really getting anxious to have this wanker back on the road now. Rear wheel is ready to roll, and I am desperately seeking a WORKING front caliper and rotor to replace the one i removed from existence :p

RearView.jpg

So there is a side shot of where it stands until tomorrow night. Might be a week before I get to post more progress, as my piggy bank is empty, and is being used to keep some I O U's from falling of the dresser....

So I got the chain mounted for real, and and the rear wheel put on. Got the front on just for looks at the moment, still looking for a new rotor and caliper for the front end before I finalize it. Carbs are on, and the seat should be coming back soon.

2wheels.jpg

ultimately fucking cool...

just fucking RAD. love it!

Thanks! I'm wishing my wallet would permit me to have this rocket on the road now, but there's always something else to buy... On that note, I've hit a roadblock. I really need to find a new front caliper and rotor. I destroyed my rotor, and the caliper is completely frozen and nothing I've done (even boiling) has helped free it. So if anyone knows where/how much it'll cost me to get around that, I'd really appreciate it. Till then, my seat should be in this thursday, so hopefully more updates will follow!

Little more progress! Got the badges mounted, rear fender mounted, and the front wheel mounted. ebay brake rotor was the final hold-up there. Also the oil tank, got the throttle line free, and the pegs, kickstart, and rear brake back on. I'll probably take some stuff back off and paint it later, but for now I want it on the road.

RearFenderCloseUp.jpg

Rear Fender. This is the 77 goldwing fender that I chopped up. I like how it's slightly ridged in the middle, little different than most I've seen.

badgescloseup.jpg

These are the tank badges. I used silly putty to fill in and mask between paintjobs, Worked great, I could offer it as a sub-50$mod I guess, and the silly putty only costs a buck ;D

SideCovercomplete.jpg

Here it is as together as it will be for now... Stay tuned next week for the seat and front brake, and headlight finalization.

Man, this thing is looking so damn good!....those colors are perfect!

looking great! that is a hell of a tank on that wing back there!

JRK5892 said:
looking great! that is a hell of a tank on that wing back there!

yeah, thats my dad's project. a 78 wing chopper. I think the tank is off a harley something, can't remember though. I'm supposed to make a new triple tree for it if my work ever gets our cnc mill back up and running. He's been tinkering off and on with the wing for a couple years now, as well as the old belvedere behind it.

Here's a slight detour: I wanted to explain a little bit about painting the badges and how that turned out. First I painted the set black in a couple coats, then tried to hand brush the red into the lettering... Fail. I just couldn't get it to lay even. So I used about a tablespoon of silly putty to mask around all the letters. Took about 10 minutes.

badgemasking.jpg

Now they are both covered, see the crappy job of red I did the first time around.

BadgesFinalmasking.jpg

Now they are Painted red, and ready to just pull the putty off, leaving a clean paint job, and then file the high edges to bring out and contrast the colors.

Badges-Covered.jpg

And now back on the tank!

badgescloseup.jpg

Re: Mr. E's caffeinating of a CB750 (The Black and Tan) 90% DONE!!

Exhaust is back on, so it's about 90% done! Just need a new rectifier, fab some battery cables, put the headlight in, and choose a tail light. I'm kinda thinking about a ford model a light, any suggestions?

Exhaustbackon.jpg

the puddy is a killer idea!!! i dig it! i personaly like new lights on bikes, i would go with something clean and LED

I was thinkin the same thing, Joe! That putty is brilliant!

Got the seat back finally. took a couple nights of vigorous riveting and the office re-runs to get it stretched over the foam, but I think its a winner. Now I just need the tail light and fab some battery cables, and see if this beast has any life left in it before the mercury drops below my fun-zone...

seat-rightside-2.jpg

Re: Mr. E's caffeinating of a CB750 (The Black and Tan) Seat is back and looks good

Your bike looks awesome. I like the touches of red.

Re: Mr. E's caffeinating of a CB750 (The Black and Tan) Seat is back and looks good

Thanks, I'm thinkin about getting some pod filters and painting the caps red on them as well. I dunno, may be to much red then, but only one way to find out!

Finally got around to all the electrical debugging and had to clean the garbs again, but it roared to life last night! Sounded awesome, still on the stand for now, but ill take it out for a shakedown flight as soon as I get the tail light. The tail light im going with is the 40's chevron style from noschoolchoppers.com

Back
Top Bottom