Classic Auto Mechanics - Needing help with '77 Lincoln Continental Mark V

DohcBikes said:
Something you just said makes me wonder if you have a flat cam lobe.

Yip. Wondering if it would effect my compression or not because, again, all cylinders are 100% bang on.

ok just one more. lol.

A flat cam lobe will not usually affect cranking compression. Open and close timing generally remains the same regardless of normal or even significant cam wear, and any opening of the intake valve will eventually build compression.

Might take note of how many revolutions it takes to get max psi as compared to other cylinders.

I did pressurise the cylinder and it gave no conclusive results. The only sound was the slight hiss from the PCV bung...just blowing by the rings as where else could the compression go?

DohcBikes said:
redliner:

lift of any given lobe can be measured and compared to others with a dial gauge at the rockers

You're exactly effin right. Time to add this one to the list as well.

You mean my milk is a bit oily lookin ::)

It's fine. No trace of coolant in the oil or the radiator.

Ok the valve must have wiped out. You win this one, Dohc, but next time...

The symptoms showed up around my first oil change. Must've loosened some crud and gotten into the lifter or clogged the feed to the cam...

By valve, I meant cam lobe.

The left exhaust valve is opening 4mm less than the right one... Never mind the intake in the center, I didn't bother measuring after I found that

Rollers. Alu rockers. Oversized valves. Shaved heads. Ported exhaust. Alu intake. MSD TBI. MSD ignition.

Ah fuck, a guy can dream

Redliner said:
By valve, I meant cam lobe.

The left exhaust valve is opening 4mm less than the right one... Never mind the intake in the center, I didn't bother measuring after I found that
ok but but how does that cause all of thosae mystrerious drivability running hard starting issues ?

If that cylinder is flat, the other rear cylinders (7 and 8) could be next. The rear is farthest from the oil pump. Since #4 is not firing AT ALL, 7 and 8 could be intermittently cutting, right?

Redliner said:
If that cylinder is flat, the other rear cylinders (7 and 8) could be next. The rear is farthest from the oil pump. Since #4 is not firing AT ALL, 7 and 8 could be intermittently cutting, right?
oh its just plain worn out? i guess i got the impresion that one valve was the only fault you found
that said did you ever check the fuel pressure ? and fuel ilter ? and or run it with the gas tank cap loose ?
there used to be an drivability problem on old cars that was rare, but not unheard of,they called it vapor lock and i dont understand near as much as i think i know about it but i figger if you haven't got a headache yet i would thro it out there :)

The first time it shut off was on a 91° day. Sure enough it was all steamy in the fuel line. I added a pusher pump to the rear and have watched a clear filter for any air and so far that problem is nipped.

Fuel pressure remains about 7-8psi. Good for a carby.

Yes I believe that the oil change had an effect on the oiling of the rear. The issue didn't appear until I started putting miles on the new synthetic stuff...

Back
Top Bottom