help needed computer illiterate here

xb33bsa

Over 1,000 Posts
yes i am dumb and ignorant with any computer tech and all i even have is a coupl laptapops
ill make it quick a while back i ran over the lil spare unit with my pickup but she still turned on just the screen is whacked
its the goddam windows 8 i fuckin hate it anyway i use a remote monitor on the other one tried it with this one i ran over .well you gotta type in the password which i hate and i never coul d figger out how to eliminate the need to enter a pass before it does final boot
anyway i just wait a minute or so after i start it, type in the password even though i cant see it and its benn fine once the monitor screen comes on after pass is enterd
well i let sit for a long time 2 months without use and i type in the pass now that i remember and have written down but the fackin thing will not do its gig
and i cant see whats happening on the screen cause it doesnt boot in till the pass enter is complete
fuck
i

Instead of typing in your password, hold down the Function key ("Fn") on your keyboard and simultaneously press whatever function button along the top row has a little monitor icon on it. It'll probably look something like this, though it may not be F5:

FzKDuai.jpg

That should send output to the external display.

iatethepeach said:
Instead of typing in your password, hold down the Function key ("Fn") on your keyboard and simultaneously press whatever function button along the top row has a little monitor icon on it. It'll probably look something like this, though it may not be F5:

FzKDuai.jpg

That should send output to the external display.

:'( :-\ :( :eek: :-\ :'( no go its not sendin sig to monitor after many trys
can doing that fuction you decsribe overide the password sighnin ?

Bummer. Pressing fn + the display key won't bypass the password- it just switches the monitor output. It should work regardless of whether the login screen is up, however.

I'll try to think of something else or maybe someone else has an idea. I'm out on the scrambler right now.

Sounds like the opportune moment to throw that Windows pc in a pond.

And go mac.

xb, is it the data on the pc you are concerned about or just being able to use the hardware?

thanks for any help i do know a place to get another winerds 7 ,they train slo folks refurb puters n repair

here is active pic same same cheers

http://softhands.co.uk/genuine-toshiba-c850-c850d-c870-uk-keyboard

xb33bsa said:
here is active pic same same cheers

http://softhands.co.uk/genuine-toshiba-c850-c850d-c870-uk-keyboard

You are in the UK? Somehow I had you figured for genuine 'Murican.

Well OK, guv, it looks like the function key you want is F4. Is that the one you were using? If "Fn+F4" doesn't work, you could try holding down the Windows key (to the right of the "Fn" key) and pressing "P", then letting off both of them and hitting the left/right arrow keys to see if that brings up the external monitor. I think it might require you to be logged in, first, though, and I'm not sure the arrow keys work to cycle the display- it's just a guess. You also might just need to hit "Win+P" and nothing else. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I don't have a Windows 8 machine I can test with.

What happens when you close the lid on the laptop? Does it suspend or stay on? I'd try that, too, maybe with a USB mouse and/or keyboard connected to wake it (if it does suspend) and the monitor plugged in.

hah usa here

i just google image'd the model of toshiba and picked that one cause it has the magnifier i never seen it was a uk link
yeah i was doing it the way you shown
as far as the setiings for power i had it set to do nothing that is stay powerd up with lid closed because i needed remote monitor after running it over
i have always used a mouse ,tocuh pad is too slow how can any body work with them ?
thanks for taking thne time to help , probably late this evening ill set it up again and try the winders button

Yeah, sure. If the trick with the Windows key doesn't work and you didn't already try opening the lid with the laptop on and the external monitor connected and powered up, then closing the lid to see if it switches automatically, give that a shot, too. After that I'm outta ideas- your best bet is to take it to your local repair shop. Or run over it with the truck one more time and toss it in the pond like trek said.

FWIW, you can get replacement screens on ebay or pc parts breakers for somewhere close to 50 ish bucks. I work with a bunch of dunder head install techs and have had a replace many a cracked or broken screen. Not hard at all if you can get the entire lid/screen. Lots of little screws to get the keyboard cover off but not much after that.

Now if the whole machine is borked meaning that it is not even getting past the initial boot screen which you can't see it in the first place then I would just toss and pick up a good used one from a pawn shop.

yeah i always use a remote screen any way unless on a rode trip picking
i have thought about getting replacement screens becaiuse my regular use laptop has a bad connect and you gotta tweak it hard to get the screen on lol
good lord that winndows 8 is horrible whoever developed it should hang there head in shame
thanks for the input help

Everything thing I own or use has win 7 on it I completely agree with 8 sucking balls. I've upgraded several win 8 machines to 7 just to make them usable.

Back
Top Bottom