NEW MEMBERS - Read this - I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
This rant is most certainly not directed at any person specifically, and is also not meant to get anyone up in arms. That said, I've noticed a few things amongst the vintage bike set that have really started to irk me.

It's not the usual "stupid hipsters" or "they want how much for a cb750?" stuff though. Really, I'd like to think that most people here are above the petty annoyances of this hobby.

First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

Secondly, you won't get all the answers by asking the same question 1000 times. Again, listen... And maybe more importantly, try. Break shit. Cut it up. Get dirty. Get bloody. I'm really guilty of second guessing myself personally. Because of this I hesitate to dive into shit. That's lame. The times when I tell myself to quit being a pussy and just do it are the most rewarding times I've ever had. Yeah, sometimes I fuck up. Sometimes I waste good parts and good money. The end result is ALWAYS way better than if I'd just phoned it in though. Always.

That brings us to number three...

You can't do it all. Nobody can. That's a fact of life and a fact of motorcycle building. There's always going to he a time when you need a hand. Be it help from a more experienced welder, engine builder, painter, whatever. There will come a point where it has to happen. Be respectful of that fact. It shows your humanity (something so many forget) and keeps you in touch with the outside world. If you've convinced yourself that you can do it all, you're going to lose. Plain and simple.

Re: I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

Again, I'm not trying to stick it to anyone. I'm just bugged by the amount of arrogance and attitude in this little world we all are part of.

Let's all be cool man. Lets figure shot out ourselves and still be willing to admit defeat, even if its only for a moment. None of us are special. Were all in the same sinking boat. We juat all happened to pick the same life raft.

Totally agree. I have always thought any advice is worth listening to. Whether or not to apply that advice is a personal, and hopefully a well thought out and researched, decision.

Amen brotha! I cant agree more. We are all (most) in it because of our love for motorcycles. Lets keep it that way. Learn, teach, have fun and fucking ride!

I'm special. I am a unique snowflake just like everyone else.

Thanks for the reality check. Just picked my CL360 over the weekend and it's my first motorcycle. I come from the car world where there is just as much frustration, ego-trips, hipsters and learning opportunity.

We do these things because they mean something deeper to us than just a piece of engineered metal. You can put blood, sweat and tears into something and it still won't be right but that's how it goes. Learn from other's experience and even more importantly learn from your own. Think for yourself, make your decisions and make your own mistakes. People wouldn't be passionate about anything if they didn't face their own struggles.

VonYinzer said:
Were all in the same sinking boat. We juat all happened to pick the same life raft.

I like this. Might use it in the future 8)

VonYinzer said:
Yeah... You're special alright... Haha.
He is very special!!! Seriously tho great post as being the first time I have tried alot of what I am doing the advice has been so helpful. And I have experienced some great help from some great guys that have been very gracious with their help and not just been like well this guy has no clue and then just overlooked me cause I don't have the experience. And some of these guys I have never met and then some only for a few days at the last two Barbers. But I have experienced the other side the bad side I guess you would say. But we all start out some where! Sorry for ranting on your rant Von but your post really struck a nerve. THANKS FOR POSTING IT GOOD POST!

When I was 16 I knew everything. Now 50 years later I'm still learning. My Dad told me as a child to "make all the mistakes you want but try to make them just once". I've noticed on the various forums I frequent that people ask a lot of what could be considered dumb questions. Well, they're not really dumb questions if you don't know the answer. But if you give it a shot you just might find the answer rather than appear dumb by asking. Seems to me that people are afraid to try something in case they fail and appear stupid. Another quote from my Dad. "If you don't try you can't fail. Equally you can't succeed". I have no idea what this has to do with Von's post. Sorry.

I like DTT because there is so much less of the BS attitude that I've run into on car forums. So much hellaflush +5hp misogynistic "search n00b" garbage. I hope that won't happen here.

t71ford said:
Sooo...clubmans or clip ons for my CB360?
Half an apehanger on the left, clip-on on the right. For cornering!

There are people you meet in life that seem to get everything mechanical with ease. so when you come across them pay attention, ask questions and most importantly learn from your own mistakes. Cars, motorcycles, bikes, houses they all take a different kinda knowhow but one thing they all share is the fact that you need to have enuff respect for what your working on to take the time to make the propper approch to fixing or modding them. Secondly once you have an awnser to any given question or a useful skill help someone that dosent you will be a better person for it. And my third and final point some times as von stated a few illreplaceable parts need to die so fucking what. in reality the end result is a killer bike so who gives a shit if you learn the wrong way to do something your better off. i have distroyed more super hard to find gas tanks wheels engines than i care to admit. but ive gained the ability to. not be affraid of what im working on.

dee snider put it best "stay hungry"

Isn't the point of belonging to this site or other builder sites to have the resources you need to build your bike? Even though currently I do not have a cafe racer or brat or bobber, but even I still find the knowledge and advice to be absolutely valuable. I developed a death wobble everytime I let go of my handlebars, I learned from having a yamaha v star 1100 that head bearings are a common forgotten maintenance on that particular bike, so when I have the $$$, that will be the first thing I look at and replace etc. BTW, for all those out there that are more apt to give and take advice and experience and concern for safety, Thank You. Yon, thanks for bringing up this subject.

VonYinzer said:
This rant is most certainly not directed at any person specifically, and is also not meant to get anyone up in arms. That said, I've noticed a few things amongst the vintage bike set that have really started to irk me.

It's not the usual "stupid hipsters" or "they want how much for a cb750?" stuff though. Really, I'd like to think that most people here are above the petty annoyances of this hobby.

First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

Secondly, you won't get all the answers by asking the same question 1000 times. Again, listen... And maybe more importantly, try. Break shit. Cut it up. Get dirty. Get bloody. I'm really guilty of second guessing myself personally. Because of this I hesitate to dive into shit. That's lame. The times when I tell myself to quit being a pussy and just do it are the most rewarding times I've ever had. Yeah, sometimes I fuck up. Sometimes I waste good parts and good money. The end result is ALWAYS way better than if I'd just phoned it in though. Always.

That brings us to number three...

You can't do it all. Nobody can. That's a fact of life and a fact of motorcycle building. There's always going to he a time when you need a hand. Be it help from a more experienced welder, engine builder, painter, whatever. There will come a point where it has to happen. Be respectful of that fact. It shows your humanity (something so many forget) and keeps you in touch with the outside world. If you've convinced yourself that you can do it all, you're going to lose. Plain and simple.

bravo.. i would like to quote you on my facebook profile.. do i have your permission?

https://www.facebook.com/Garage.Artists.MC

VonYinzer said:
But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up...

You said it!
This should be mandatory reading for new members.

Back
Top Bottom