NEW MEMBERS - Read this - I'm sorry, but c'mon people.

I agree with you both completely. I see that inability all of the time. It happens, some can and some can't.

Doesn't make one lesser and one greater, just different. Sometimes I think that the internet has become a learning deterrent. So many people rely on the internet to solve their problems (I am guilty), but it limits the natural way that humans learn by not making you do it the hard way and learn from it.

I second the comment on Mr Britten. Got his poster in my shop. Someone said 'if it can be done by man, it can be done by any man' I'm lucky enough to be good with wrenches.. But 30 years ago my dad thought I should play piano. I hit my hands on that thing for 15 years and now I can beat out a tune (enough to impress a tone deaf 3 year old anyway. My point is persevere long enough and good things will happen. Don't expect me to subscribe to it in the mean time though! Lol

And just because somebody else can do something, doesn't mean you can do it well... or even good for that matter.
I have the ability to play the guitar. I can play one song... Row, row, row your boat. With one chord (G iirc), strummed repeatedly.
That doesn't mean I should be booking studio time anytime soon.
My Dad was a musician. I tried for years to play the musical instruments that he played. After advancing the farthest with the guitar. We came to the conclusion that I couldn't carry a tune if it had handles.

Aptitude plays a large roll in ability.

New here... I love figuring out how everything works. My wife says I like to conquer things and won'tgive up until iI've won. I call it jack of all trades master of none. Love the challenge and love learning from others. So feel free to throw any advice my way. I am about to need some with my new cl 360 project.
Things I have gotten into:
Motorcycles since I was 6
Remote control airplanes (really big ones)
pipe smoking
Cabinetry
Music (guitar, drums, keys, bass, trumpet)
Studio engineering
Video editing
Finally...... I love to grill ;D

Remember I said "master of none" but i love learning

well wrote for sure, i couldnt agree more especially with the last one.

im in the same boat boulevard, i start tons of projects and learn a bunch but never become a master, im good at a lot of things but great at few

AbbyRider said:
I have mastered one thing: over-torquing bolts and shearing them off.
i second that.
"why in the FUCK did GM think it was a GOOD idea to use ALLEN BOLTS for a FUCKING caliper???"

OK...I'm a new member...and I read this whole damn thread...all I can say is...
Damn...I'm lucky to have found this place...

and it finally helped me understand why I disliked it when Randy's Cycles (or something like that) wants to charge me to answer questions..they said that if they help for free...their paying customers would be pissed off...
I guess thats the difference between you guys and them...
that seems like something a little unique in the world...
which is why I feel lucky to have found this place...
ray
57 year old fart retiring as a car mechanic to finally wrench on something I love...

Attachments

• R1 ray.jpg
    R1 ray.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 282
and this is what that picture was about...the lady that smashed my first true build...a 98 YZF-R1...

Attachments

• 44346_430879153420_3912809_n.jpg
    44346_430879153420_3912809_n.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 661
Excellent thread Von.
Personally been on here for a short little while. I don’t know how I’m only reading this now for the first time but 12 pages later I couldn’t agree with everyone more. Each individual brings something to the table that others can benefit from if they are willing to stop and listen. At the end of the day I rather be called out on a wonky not so safe Mod if that means I can ride home to my wife and kids safely day in and day out.

Cheers' Brian

VonYinzer said:
First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

Hollllllllly hell mate you just made my day. I came in to the forum thinking everyone was going to be cool, even about my little SR, which will barely hit 95. And as a matter of fact people are super cool here. In just a few days I've learned more about cafes than I have in the 2-3 years I've been observing them.

That said, people are still going to be assholes, especially being a first time fabricator/upholstery maker/crafter and with my relatively small bike. Again, thanks a ton, I got pretty discouraged there for a second, but I think I'll continue my project, regardless of his or hers bullshit 8)

Awesome man. Keep at it. First projects are always daunting and almost never come out just how you want them. Just keep building though. Keep trying. Keep pushing what you think your boundries are. At some point you'll get into a groove and things will all fall into place. When that happens its a great feeling.

Just remember to keep yourself somewhat uncomfortable. Do things that you think are above your abilities. Learn all you can. Its just metal and plastic. You can always fix it if you fuck up. Which you likely will. That's how you gain experience though.

Experience is what I got when I didn't get what I wanted.

VonYinzer said:
Awesome man. Keep at it. First projects are always daunting and almost never come out just how you want them. Just keep building though. Keep trying. Keep pushing what you think your boundries are. At some point you'll get into a groove and things will all fall into place. When that happens its a great feeling.

Just remember to keep yourself somewhat uncomfortable. Do things that you think are above your abilities. Learn all you can. Its just metal and plastic. You can always fix it if you fuck up. Which you likely will. That's how you gain experience though.
. That is what it's all about

VonYinzer said:

++1 :D

Not to besmirch a deserved legend but....Mr.Britten did not do it all on his own.
ANY footage that shows the actual work on his monster of a bike shows several capable people adding to the process, both design and execution.

I'm all for doing as much as you can, but there's a line between making something a three year old epileptic chimp would be embarrassed of and calling in the aid of those skilled in areas you aren't. I've yet to see a bike built b one person only that wasn't disappointing in several key areas. I CAN paint....but if I want it to look professional I hire a pro. I CAN upholster but if I want it to look and fit right....you guessed it, call in a pro.

(or at least someone better than you)

Swagger said:
Not to besmirch a deserved legend but....Mr.Britten did not do it all on his own.
ANY footage that shows the actual work on his monster of a bike shows several capable people adding to the process, both design and execution.

I'm all for doing as much as you can, but there's a line between making something a three year old epileptic chimp would be embarrassed of and calling in the aid of those skilled in areas you aren't. I've yet to see a bike built b one person only that wasn't disappointing in several key areas. I CAN paint....but if I want it to look professional I hire a pro. I CAN upholster but if I want it to look and fit right....you guessed it, call in a pro.

(or at least someone better than you)

Exactly

New to the site: Good first post to read, and very simple to follow. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom