Work Gloves... recommedations?

Redbird

Dolor est Magister Optimus
DTT BOTM WINNER
Looking for something like the Mechanix type glove. Anyone have a favorite that'll stand up to the abuse?

Redbird said:
Looking for something like the Mechanix type glove. Anyone have a favorite that'll stand up to the abuse?

Depends on what you'll use them for....

200.webp

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Large-High-Dex-Gloves-3-Pack-3101-96/202203753

I really like these they seem to work pretty good for all the shit I get into on the farm , or for putting in Haybale's and they are usually good for about 20,000 bales so they stand up pretty well to abuse. Dirt cheap too

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ces-mens-impact-protection-work-gloves

I loved these. I had those mechanix brand gloves before and they wore out too quickly. I was running tow trucks with these slinging chains and using them in the shop for months. Accidentally left them somewhere. Plan to get another pair.

Sonreir™ said:
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie. :p
I did ask Brodie... he gave me the finger. I handed it back to him :p

Kelly, mostly for slingin tires out the back of the work truck.
Years ago I tried the Mechanix brand gloves for use around the tractor/trailer (coupling/uncoupling, moving landing gear, etc.), and had much the same experience as wahvtec, they just didn't last. Kinda surprising considering the relatively low impact use. So I used a heavier leather palm glove instead. But the new job has me gripping 700-800 tires in a day, and the heavy leather gloves are too bulky for that. The thick separation between the fingers gets painful after a while.

Farmer and wahvtec, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out ;)

Have y'all tried the leather Mechanix gloves?
I bought a pair at the beginning of the summer and have been using them hardcore working my lot and I gotta be honest, they held up damn well with a lot of dexterity. The only reason I have bought a new pair is because the other ones smell from all the sweat and nasty work I put them through. But I haven't tossed them yet and will be using for the nasty work

Check em out
http://www.mechanix.com/hardware/leather-fastfit-durahide-leather-gloves

I use an older version of these for wrenching and another pair for riding. The knuckle protection comes in handy when the occasional incident happens or even getting up off the ground. Haven't tested that out with the bike yet...

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/wells-lamont-men-s-knuckle-protection-gloves-black-gray/0000000210439?bc=10525&brandCrumb=621897199&bn=wells-lamont

I've been using these at work lately and LOVE them.
Way more dexterity and feel. I can even work my phone with them on.
They are a light cloth and the palm is dipped in rubber. This brand is great quality.
They don't last as long as a real work glove, but you get 12 pairs for 30 bucks and they last a couple weeks of 8hr days in the metal shop before I toss them. Just working on bikes a 12 pack should last indefinitely.

I've had fair luck with the Hardey gloves from Harbor Freight. They do cut fairly easily on real sharp metal, but good other than that. You can wash them with GoJoe or your other favorite hand cleaner to get funk out of them. I've got terrible grip, so I use them a lot when using hammers, wrenches, mowing, running the wood chipper and chain saw. Not only protecting the pinkies (I don't do enough manual work anymore to have good callouses), but I get let tired with the added grip. Any good glove will help, I'm just really cheap and know I'll lose or trash a good pair.

I got a free pair from a heavy equipment dealer ( Brandt ) they've far out lasted anything I've ever had, I'll take a look at the tag.

~T

Sonreir said:
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie. :p

HA! Yeah I can't give any advice, unless you want mangled fingers. Then I have a whole load of tips!

Brodie said:
HA! Yeah I can't give any advice, unless you want mangled fingers. Then I have a whole load of tips!

Wait I thought you only had 9 tips?
Too soon? ;D

Not to soon at all.
That is the first original one I have heard in a while.

Bravo sir, bravo.

If anyone can show me a pair of welding gloves i dont burn through in less than a week i would be seriously impressed!

datadavid said:
If anyone can show me a pair of welding gloves i dont burn through in less than a week i would be seriously impressed!

Stop touching the welds. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom