A CB360 Build - Lil' Sebastian Rides Again

adventurco said:
Should be fine, if you are going kickstart only. I can't speak for battery size with an electric bump, though. I use a 5aH with kick only and never had a problem.

May be time to check your charging system, if you haven't already?

Interesting. I'm using the electric start. Looks like I need to check the charging system. When does the battery begin to charge on a 360? Is it 3000rpm?

And for those in the know, does the electric start significantly drain battery to the point I saw today? Bear in mind the elector start has been used a handful of times previously on the same charge without riding the bike.

Yeah you won't get much of any charge until 3500-4000, so if you spend a lot of time under that and you e-started a bunch of times without going anywhere, it may have just drained. Stick it on the trickle charger and top it off, then go for another ride and check the voltage when you get back.

If your charging system was at fault you probably wouldn't have made it 20 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

adventurco said:
Yeah you won't get much of any charge until 3500-4000, so if you spend a lot of time under that and you e-started a bunch of times without going anywhere, it may have just drained. Stick it on the trickle charger and top it off, then go for another ride and check the voltage when you get back.

If your charging system was at fault you probably wouldn't have made it 20 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Cool thanks man. Will take it out tomorrow and see what's what.

6A/hr is way too small if your using electric start. I wouln't recommend smaller than a 10A/hr. SLA/Gel
Electric starter needs around 60amps to start turning then around 40amps to keep turning.
A 6amp/hour battery can probably start bike twice, as long as you do at least 20~30 miles in between starts.
If your charging system is working properly, it should be enough to balance the loads of ignnition and lights (assuming you don't have higher than 35w headlight and LED tail/turn/instrument bulbs)
I have pictures of my 360 charging almost 0.5 amp/13.7v at idle, but it was rewired to full output at all times directly from alternator bypassing wires going to handlebars, etc

Thanks for the replies guys.Gunna stick with kickstart for the time being. The bike was booked in for its MOT this morning (road worthiness test to you non-Brits) and as luck would have it the bike wouldn't start. No power, nothing.

After some of the more obvious checks (battery, fuses), it turned out the problem all along was a loose connection from the solenoid to the harness. Very annoying! Not least because I was getting it to run and then it'd die on me and I'd have to push it back to the shed. But at least it was nothing more serious. Time to put some more miles on her. And get her mot'd.

I was an MOT tester in the 80's, unless there have been majoer changes things have got really slack since I was testing.
Over the last few years several people in Britain have posted pictures of bikes that no way should pass MOT for very obvious reasons
I did download MOT Testers Manual about 9~10 yrs ago and nothing much seemed to have changed, just clarified with pictures and diagrams to make life easier.
It was a free download and probably worth getting a copy, helps when your legal and get pulled over (14 times in six days is my 'record')

I think a lot of it has to do with being friendly with the MOT man. Couple of people I know are friends with theirs and if they need one they usually just give them a call and they issue a certificate over the phone. Obviously not everyone is doing that but I don't think it's uncommon.

Anyway, she passed her MOT today. I hadn't got around to installing the rear plastic mudguard and WOW after pissing it down last night boy did I need it. Should have whacked some cardboard in there.

After I got her home I installed a couple of those cheap fuel filters. Will be interesting to see if they limit fuel supply at all, if so it'll be on to the more expensive ones. K&N flat disc looking ones look good.

a4d9297edae30c2c9100ad7c419d6ca2.jpg

Congrats on getting her roadworthy. Why the fuel filters? Is your tank dirty/rusty inside? I never run them but i almost always clean the tanks (on the bikes I'm going to keep anyways)

You have filters fitted backwards. The flow should be marked on them but if not, flow should be to outside of filter medium. As it is, you can't see when they get clogged as any crap will be on the inside.
Take line off right carb and fit it the other way around so filter is underneath carb. It will remove the kink as it exits tap
Oh, and turn petrol tap to OFF (STOP) when it's parked. It's a good idea to turn it off half a mile or so when your done for the day.
Friend in Wales tells me weather is really mild and nice for riding at present?

crazypj said:
You have filters fitted backwards. The flow should be marked on them but if not, flow should be to outside of filter medium. As it is, you can't see when they get clogged as any crap will be on the inside.
Take line off right carb and fit it the other way around so filter is underneath carb. It will remove the kink as it exits tap
Oh, and turn petrol tap to OFF (STOP) when it's parked. It's a good idea to turn it off half a mile or so when your done for the day.

I thought I was following the flow direction! Ha ha. Ffs. AMENDING NOW.

adventurco said:
Congrats on getting her roadworthy. Why the fuel filters? Is your tank dirty/rusty inside? I never run them but i almost always clean the tanks (on the bikes I'm going to keep anyways)

I had cleaned the tank with phosphoric acid but I checked it again last week and it's started to rust up a bit. So until I get it off and give it another clean I'll run the filters just in case.

crazypj said:

Your friend is right on that front PJ. It's been lovely. Getting colder but still very much riding weather.

Ch9AXuE.jpg

Looks like you have some real nice side roads. Any major issues with tractors filling them up without warning?

crazypj said:
Looks like you have some real nice side roads. Any major issues with tractors filling them up without warning?

Ha ha yes! But not so much now that harvest and spreading is over.

You're right though there are some great roads around here (in Hampshire more so than Devon). We're not too far from Salisbury Plain. I used to ride my pushbike there as a kid and I've always wanted to take a motorbike there so will have to make a day of that (and get some suitable tyres).

Also going to get up to Wales to the Black Mountains at some point (probably Spring). You familiar?

el barto said:
Ha ha yes! But not so much now that harvest and spreading is over.

You're right though there are some great roads around here (in Hampshire more so than Devon). We're not too far from Salisbury Plain. I used to ride my pushbike there as a kid and I've always wanted to take a motorbike there so will have to make a day of that (and get some suitable tyres).

Also going to get up to Wales to the Black Mountains at some point (probably Spring). You familiar?

I rode around a bunch of that when I had CD175 (and 'L' plates ;D ) many, many years ago. Had a friend living within sight of (forgot the damn name of the tower? ::) ) Blew big ends out of 175 chasing a GT500 near Stonehenge, ended up being towed 136 miles home
Muckspreading at least gives you an idication the roads can be a 'bit slippery' ;)
Haven't been in the black mountains for at least 17 yrs, don't think a lot changes, (except the extra police as it's pretty well known for being a 'sunday racetrack')

crazypj said:
I rode around a bunch of that when I had CD175 (and 'L' plates ;D ) many, many years ago. Had a friend living within sight of (forgot the damn name of the tower? ::) ) Blew big ends out of 175 chasing a GT500 near Stonehenge, ended up being towed 136 miles home
Muckspreading at least gives you an idication the roads can be a 'bit slippery' ;)
Haven't been in the black mountains for at least 17 yrs, don't think a lot changes, (except the extra police as it's pretty well known for being a 'sunday racetrack')

It looks beautiful there. Haven't been to the Brecons or that kind of area since I was a kid. Will probably aim for the reservoir.

Sx9dui8.jpg

Bunch of bike magazines have used that dam from various angles when they road test (I first saw it in a 1950's Motorcyclist magazine my father had ?? yrs ago) Last time I saw it was Motorcycle News about 20(?) yrs ago when I stopped subscribing

Back
Top Bottom