KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Looks good, and I lost my good set of tire irons someplace between North Conway and home. There was a hole in my saddle bag I had patched, only the patch let go and they fell out. Pissed cause now I need to buy new ones.

Bummer. I picked mine up from FortNine -

https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-8in-tire-irons-04-008

Always a good bet, and free shipping if your order comes to $50. Now I just need to learn how to use the things.

I had 2 of these and they are the best shaped ones I've used:

https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-16-inch-curved-tire-iron

I have 2 others that are not as good.

Maritime said:
I had 2 of these and they are the best shaped ones I've used:

https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-16-inch-curved-tire-iron

I have 2 others that are not as good.

+1 for the motion pro. the extra leverage of a 16" makes changing a tire a breeze. I usually use 3 irons. two for prying, and a small 8" to hold the bead while i reposition one.

doc_rot said:
+1 for the motion pro. the extra leverage of a 16" makes changing a tire a breeze. I usually use 3 irons. two for prying, and a small 8" to hold the bead while i reposition one.

That's my exact method. I still have the smaller one, that was in my tool roll

In a case of once seen can't unsee, decided the huge black hanging down rear fender had to go. Made some brackets to hold the indicators along with a large aluminium plate that runs underneath the rear green fairing to keep the wiring and everything else under there nice and protected. Relocated the license plate and tucked up all the wiring...

Q2m6Kfi.jpg

fvbvda6.jpg

Definite improvement I think.

My dear old Mum calls me up and says she wants to get me something nice for my birthday - is there anything I really need? Quick trip up the highway 20 later and the KLR is now kitted out with these -

ZbZzCGe.jpg

uW6o6Sg.jpg

Pro Taper ATV high bend, the difference is night and day. I can't put risers on as one of the bar clamp threads is a bit skewed (there's a TimeSert in there but the angle isn't perfect) and so I wanted a taller (and wider) set of bars. These are perfect and the difference they make to the bike and the ride is remarkable. So much more comfortable and ergonomic, not to mention some new Biltwell kung-fu grips (oxblood, FTW) which definitely don't hurt either.

Cheers Mum ;D

While I was at it I figured it was a good time to try and sort out the intermittent starter button issue I had. Sometimes the button fires the bike right up, sometimes I have to whale away at the button/bars until I get a good connection. Not a cool-looking getaway by any means. Dismantled the starter button assembly, gave the contacts a sand and cleaned everything up (again) but still no dice. Figured it had to be something else but as i'd already deleted the kick stand cut-off switch I was running out of ideas. After much head-scratching I discovered it was the small switch in the clutch lever - there's another contact switch in there and I found that I'd forgotten to install the tiny spring under one of the contacts, meaning it only sometimes had good contact with the switch. Miraculously I'd found a tiny spring in the garage months ago and held onto it thinking it looked like it came out of something significant - now it's back where it should be the bikes fires up first time every time.

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes, honey put on that party dress.

Nice Jim, and I never throw little springs away, they come from someplace and should go back. I had one of them come out of the starter bit of the GL flywheel. found it just before putting the whole motor back in, it would have been very bad for that spring to be missing. Many hours of work to pull the engine back out to replace it and the starter would have bound up the first fire without it.

I'm adopting a never-throw-anything-away approach in my garage now. It's amazing how often something that could so easily have been thrown away comes in so useful.

Said every hoarder everywhere.

The Jimbonaut said:
I'm adopting a never-throw-anything-away approach in my garage now. It's amazing how often something that could so easily have been thrown away comes in so useful.

Ain’t that the truth ruth?
Thank you for helping me justify the pile of stuff building up in the corner of my shed

The Jimbonaut said:

The CB360 I sold this summer, the one I made a sort of 378cc desert sled out of, I built almost completely from parts I had accumulated over the last 5 years. I may have put in $600 total into that bike, and that includes the bore, head machining and all the consumable parts like copper head gasket, seals, etc.

irk miller said:
The CB360 I sold this summer, the one I made a sort of 378cc desert sled out of, I built almost completely from parts I had accumulated over the last 5 years. I may have put in $600 total into that bike, and that includes the bore, head machining and all the consumable parts like copper head gasket, seals, etc.

that compounds the reason I got rid of the ironhead, none of my pile of jap crap parts (less the showa front end) worked on the Harley, and I had no desire to start collecting junk parts for another brand of motorcycle.

Hurco550 said:
that compounds the reason I got rid of the ironhead.
Yep. I enjoyed building that guys Sportster, but it was really annoying having to buy all new hardware, since everything is SAE. It really does keep me away from HD, too.

The Jimbonaut said:

The tough part is organizing the "stuff" to the point where you can find the stuff you want. I need to revamp but I will be moving it all next year. As long as I have music playing it's always a good time in the garage. Now where is that box of connectors?

I swear I spend more time looking for shit in my garage than I do using it. Absolutely sends me. Like, loony tunes.

Still, holding onto stuff is where it's at. The brackets I made for the rear indicators were salvaged from some shelving material I didn't throw away thinking I may need it one wet Wednesday.

And yes to having to buy stuff for HD's. Well, no. Had to shell out a bunch of dollars on tools and fittings for the Sportster once I released it was all built different. The 1" spanner (what we call a wrench where I come from) has come in useful on several axle bolts though so not a total bust.

KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

Pretty sure the bike is still running a bit rich. It idles ok (a little high maybe) but more telling is the smell of the exhaust. No huge clouds of black smoke by any means, but a definite gassy smell.

Am I right in thinking the culprit could be the pilot jet or pilot screw? I need to pull the spark plug and have a look at that thing. But it really seems that it’s only in low rpms and idle that it’s rich.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

irk miller said:
Yep. I enjoyed building that guys Sportster, but it was really annoying having to buy all new hardware, since everything is SAE. It really does keep me away from HD, too.

Isn't your Chevy all SAE? LOL

Back
Top Bottom