Looking for compact hand controls

quadracer351

Coast to Coast
I've been looking for compact switches for my clip on but haven't been happy with what I've been seeing. I'm trying to keep the front minimalistic and everything I've been seeing looks big and out of place on the bars. At the moment I'm thinking of wiring up a push button starter out of sight but would honestly rather have the hand controls since ergonomically they make more sense. Not running a horn and possibly not a kill switch. I've seen the m buttons but not sure if they work without the m unit (might be wrong) any help would greatly be appreciated. Preferably in chrome also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

s-l1600.jpg

There are companies that import the same microswitches and integrate with custom housings, like the above (http://ebay.to/1WsgK1w)

The m-unit/switch is so trick because it's all one wire. You are correct that you need both.

P.S. Keep a kill switch - preferably close at hand not hidden away (unless you want to use a second secret one for theft protection).

BarnBurner said:
s-l1600.jpg

There are companies that import the same microswitches and integrate with custom housings, like the above (http://ebay.to/1WsgK1w)

The m-unit/switch is so trick because it's all one wire. You are correct that you need both.

P.S. Keep a kill switch - preferably close at hand not hidden away (unless you want to use a second secret one for theft protection).
Can't open that link but I'll look around eBay, I thought that was one of the m unit sets which is why I've overlooked it. I do want a kill switch but the problem has been the switch set ups I've been seeing are just too bulky with everything so I'm trying to run only bare essentials at the moment. Ideally I want to find something that would allow me to run just start, kill, indicators and dip. I ordered a button to use as a starter that I would put into the steering stem nut, but realized if the bike gets stuck at a light or intersection it would be a pain to have to get it in neutral and reach over to hit the starter.

works fine for me. i actually would have went with one of those motone switches, but they are pricey.

quadracer351 said:
How do you like it, the last switch I ordered from dime city I sent back not only because it was bulky but the halves didn't come together flush, for $70 I was disappointed

Seems the norm.

Also important to note that the above pictured switch will not generally work on it's own. It's very low current. About an amp. The only thing you can switch with that little current is some electronic, not electric. That means you pretty much need the m-unit setup if you're going to use those switches.

Sonreir said:
Also important to note that the above pictured switch will not generally work on it's own. It's very low current. About an amp. The only thing you can switch with that little current is some electronic, not electric. That means you pretty much need the m-unit setup if you're going to use those switches.
So motones switches are not suitable for an electric start switch?

They might be. I just checked their website and while they don't get any electrical specs, they do claim it can be used with things like the horn and high beam. But they also state that the switches are to be used in conjunction with a control module. I still have reservations.

The moto gadget ones are definitely a no-go for direct switching, however.

vandito.cb said:
works fine for me. i actually would have went with one of those motone switches, but they are pricey.
They are pricey and all seem to be momentary, and like sonreir said and from what I learned yesterday from him, they can't power much.

We're sort of tinkering with some ideas right now, too.

Attachments

• switch.png
    switch.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 868
Sonreir said:
We're sort of tinkering with some ideas right now, too.
All buttons or will there be a switches available for things like run/kill, high/low, indicators? Would be cool if they were customizable by the buyer to choose what he wants where, but i know nothing about electronics About how long till something is available?

4 of these bad boys. 2 for signals, 1 for kill and 1 for start button. Swiss cheese your handlebars, throw a toggle switch on your headlight bucket for high/off/low and you're good to go. They are momentary buttons though so you'd have to keep it pressed for turn signal operation.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 404
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 391
quadracer351 said:
All buttons or will there be a switches available for things like run/kill, high/low, indicators? Would be cool if they were customizable by the buyer to choose what he wants where, but i know nothing about electronics About how long till something is available?

Yeah. Customization is the plan. Most micro switches for electrical use a 1/4" threaded shank and come in a lot of varieties.

I actually have two quotes out right now that I'm looking to finalize pretty soon.

If you want one in plastic I can print you one, though. :D

CarbonK said:
4 of these bad boys. 2 for signals, 1 for kill and 1 for start button. Swiss cheese your handlebars, throw a toggle switch on your headlight bucket for high/off/low and you're good to go. They are momentary buttons though so you'd have to keep it pressed for turn signal operation.
Can't drill into my tarozzi bars unless it's an absolute last resort

Sonreir said:
Yeah. Customization is the plan. Most micro switches for electrical use a 1/4" threaded shank and come in a lot of varieties.

I actually have two quotes out right now that I'm looking to finalize pretty soon.

If you want one in plastic I can print you one, though. :D
Absolutely I'll send you a p.m. in the garage now trying to get my acewell sorted

Back
Top Bottom