1972 Nopar Volksrod Hellride

VonYinzer said:
Dig around ebay... Lots of old, cheap and rebuildable angles gearboxes that could solve your steering problem. Like so:
I don't have a steering problem. I can adjust the angles of the shafts. Just need to cut and weld. It actually steers really well, despite the angle. The gearbox already is set at the right angle, the PO just decided to run that first shaft parallel with the frame for some reason.

WHATEVER

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 485
as long as you have no binding im good

its not about offense its about keeping it on the road you know that

that angle LOOKS real acute

irk miller said:
I’m at 35 degrees, which is what Speedway says is max angle, so I’m within limits. Sorry if that offends you.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I will definitely be losing sleep. Yes. Thwarted again. :-*

advCo said:
YES. Want a Ghia dash for it?
Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
I don't think I can run any sort of stock dash, but I really want to try. I actually love the VW dashes and would prefer to run one. Even if I have to paste it on the face of the box I have now. I plan to go to one piece windows. The Driver's side has no window, or guts or anything. The bar for the wing window is removed, too.

Attachments

• IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 284
I really can’t wait to see what you do with this build. I love rat rods like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got some nitrous stuff for a sbc left over from my jet boat that will help it across the intersections

cxman said:
i got some nitrous stuff for a sbc left over from my jet boat that will help it across the intersections
Perfect. I just ordered a Hilborn scoop maybe we can tap.

irk miller said:
I don't think I can run any sort of stock dash, but I really want to try. I actually love the VW dashes and would prefer to run one. Even if I have to paste it on the face of the box I have now. I plan to go to one piece windows. The Driver's side has no window, or guts or anything. The bar for the wing window is removed, too.

Yeah, the Ghia is inches wider anyways so it'd have to be modified to fit. Let me know if you want some measurements or pics. I have 2 dashes that need to go .

I just looked at the front end pics again and it might be possible to fit a pair of shock from the center spring mount to the axle at say 60 degrees with lower mounts just below the cross beam to get enough length. That might be enough to help stop the front end bounces and would be least visually obtrusive.

teazer said:
I just looked at the front end pics again and it might be possible to fit a pair of shock from the center spring mount to the axle at say 60 degrees with lower mounts just below the cross beam to get enough length. That might be enough to help stop the front end bounces and would be least visually obtrusive.
This is how a spring over like mine is typically done...

plain%20dropped%20axle%20front%20end.jpg

Damn, I just saw this and it's 4 pages already! And here I was wondering when you would post more pics.... lol Rad!

irk miller said:
This is how a spring over like mine is typically done...

plain%20dropped%20axle%20front%20end.jpg

Ive always enjoyed the look of mechanical friction shocks on that style of hot rod. Granted they wont perform like hydraulic units and there will be no difference in compression vs rebound damping, but they look neat. Simple to build too, flat plate with friction material sandwiched between and a spring and bolt to vary damping. I think early stuff used leather between the plates.
3c755424c44f5afe0f9c49dd38fbf365.jpg

6467f103439bffdbc2acf4c4d04e6bf3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom