Enfield Tracker: War Pig Rennaissance

Zookrocker said:
I think thats looking good Agent...I'm digging that rear section. Nice aluminum work.

Thanks! Seat was constructed by Ken Hosford (his username on the board, too) and mounting by Tom McVay.

Been home a few days. Working in the snow I have managed to strip down to the bottom end.
6eha7usy.jpg
Tomorrow hope to have engine out of the frame.

Yes, I used a ratchet strap to yank off the head.
gapanysy.jpg

And yes, the glove is my new conrod protector.
u3yzy5e8.jpg

Have some parts at paint now. Once I am down to the frame, it goes to have alignment checked before painting too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ezateqa9.jpg

Begone, engine!

u6a5yrev.jpg

Yeah, this is a totally rational way to mount an engine and center stand in a frame.

that frame looks like its from 1928 ;D

Looking good man I like that you're doing it yourself

Longhorn, no way I am going through the trouble of removing suspension that already exists, esp. on a bike I plan on dirt roading a lot...however seeing it stripped down has brought back my dreams of having a few different Enfields all done in different styles...tracker, cafe, bobber, restored classic...

Sonic, 1928 is being sort of kind. I have been imagining how awesome it would be to have a Trackmaster or rickman style frame for this, but that would be $3500 worth of lipstick on a pig.

Next steps, final fabrication work on frame including disc brake rear setup (mounting points for master cylinder etc.) and check frame alignment. And get some parts to paint so they can be batched w what is already there.

I have seen the Nickel plating mentioned several times in this forum. I think people forget 70% of the population is allergic to nickel. I'm guessing there is no clear coating after to prevent the exposure but I'm not sure.

canyoncarver said:
Ya done yet?

Hah. It's in pieces back home and I'm in Chad for a few weeks.

And my plan to have work done over the course of the coming year has been interrupted, as I've been reassigned to work in Africa long-term, starting pretty soon. Bike will probably arrive there in August or so. So I'll need to get a few things going when I return to the US, and ensure the pieces-parts are ready for movers to pack up and ship to me once my family is ready to join me over the summer.

It's, um, complicated.

Oh, and I might have just scored a Matchless G15-CS, totally original, running...for free or almost-free. We'll see.

AgentX said:
It's, um, complicated.

Oh, and I might have just scored a Matchless G15-CS, totally original, running...for free or almost-free. We'll see.

Nice. Hope you get it. Show us pics if you do.

Here's the Matchless; as I'm off to Africa in a few days, I will get it from the owner when I return:

#drool

In other news, progress on the Enfield! Lots of parts back from paint, although the color is slightly off from what I wanted, there's no time to get it re-done.

Tom at McVay Motorworks rigged up my disc brake rear from the Indian kit I purchased. We added a better, lighter torque arm to the swingarm and master cylinder mounts to the frame.

Found an upholstery mad scientist near my daughter's school, so he's got the seat and is doing an awesome cover and pad for it...snap-on/off cover with closed-cell marine upholstery foam underneath. Giving me leather for the same cost as vinyl woulda been, so why not?

Engine is in a backpack going down to Chumma from Ace Engineering in NJ for the rebuild. Head and barrel work is already done; he'll true the crank, put in high-quality main bearings, mod for better oil flow, and install a Newby belt primary and clutch. External oil filter to be plumbed in again, with braided ss line replacing the stock oil tubing. Flatslide Mikuni 32mm to be installed, Ace air canister intake. Hoping Ace's new high-lift "shotgun" rocker set will be available soon, too.

Transmission will be rebuilt with ceramic bearings as well. Hubs will go to Buchanan for Excel rims, ss swaged spokes, and Chumma will put in ceramic bearings there, too. Trying to reduce power losses as much as possible, given that the engine can use all the help it can get.

But I leave RI tomorrow. Everything that's getting done will hopefully be complete by June, when it can be packed up with the rest of my family's stuff and sent to Africa, where I'll be putting it all together once it arrives a month or three later.

Attachments

• jbp g15.jpg
    jbp g15.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,211
That matchless is classy. It'll be nice to see the enfield all back together and finished.

Oh, fuck yeah. Home for a spell and things are moving forward. Wheels back from Buchanan, belt drive primary and racing clutch in from Bob Newby. All with Chumma, my engine guy.

We'll be putting the engine into a rolling frame later in June. Then I'm back to Africa and the bike follows with my household effects Aug/Sept-ish.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 526
  • photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 523
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    751 KB · Views: 510
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG