Vincent Black Shadow complete engine repair, rebuild and modification

buellingvincent

Moving my stuff to a new thread as advised by Moderator and others.
Some of the initial posts are still at "1948 HRD Vincent -Ashtray to Driveway".

/ Patrik
-----------------------------------------------

I got a bit further with my bike. Hope to get the top ends bolted on this weekend and start putting the timing side parts back again.

A picture of a the primary cover just hanging in the belt.
The outside of the pulley is now only sticking out about 17 mm (2/3").

Patrik

To make room for the dynamo belt pulley it is only about 2,5 mm (1/10") material left on the primary cover behind the lower side of the dynamo cover.
Patrik

Been working intensely for a few days as we have an extra long weekend (bank holiday and bridge day) in Sweden this week.

Went through the primary side a last (!) time and sealed with various Loctites. First, the gearbox internals had to go out again as the gear change was rough. Had to round off the tip of the selector pawl. After mounting the selector pawl plug G37 it fouled the clutch belt wheel and I had to lower the G37 to make it work (first time I had that on while testing with the belt primary).

Have since then assembled the timing side main parts. Will fix pushrods+rockers today and then start setting the timing.
Much more fun to assemble than repairing and modifying parts.

:) Patrik

Visually not a very big difference but a whole weekend spent. Now the gear change mechanism is working and kick starter fitted. Carb adaptors fitted. Timing gear re-checked and done. Timing cover now fits (I believe). Ripped the gasket though. New push rods fitted.

Time to assemble the oil pipes, carbs and set the ignition timing!

The rest of the bike finally seeing sun light after 13 years in the dark. Got a degreasing spray before washing later this week.

/Patrik

A hell a lot of time spent the last 6 weeks to try get it back on the road.
Tomorrow it must start. Otherwise no Rally this year either.
Patrik

Now it is approved for road traffic again :D

I’m very exhausted. It did not start until 23:17 (11:17 pm) last night!

The test was 10:00 this morning. Did the last tweaks 9:44.

Patrik

Friday June 8th on my way to the Scandinavian Vincent Club Rally this year hosted by VOC German North West Section.

I job colleague just happened to over take me about one hour after a started my 13,5 hour ride from Stockholm down to Travemünde in north Germany. He took this picture.

This is after arriving back home Monday June 11th. That's a 2000 kilometers or 1250 miles trip including the rally run in Germany. Very exhausting but fun drive.

As you possibly can see that the bike is very oily all over.
Lost one inspection cap 20 minutes from home. The one above the exhaust rocker adjustment on the rear cylinder.
I probably lost half a liter oil during these 20 minutes.

This is not the only reason for the oil. I seem to have a high over pressure in the crank so oil is pressed out in various places. Possibly wrong timing of the ventilation valve but probably also gases getting through from cylinders to crank.

1250mi is epic. Bravo. The wife and I just drove 1200mi...In our Toyota Sienna hauling our bikes in trailer. ;D

11494-200816163635.png

Back
Top Bottom