Brat?

Build style out of Japan, sort of a bobbed stocker with cut down seat foam more than anything else, can be a ratty bike or a nicely painted and polished bike. Basically just cut down to make it easier for shorter riders.

Google "Bratsyle Japan".

Bratstyle is an actual bike shop in Japan, where that style of build was popularized. It wasn't created by them per-se but they are notable enough to have their name stuck to it.

Its a mix of a lot of styles (to me) really. Which, is something the Japanese builders are really good at doing without making it look gawdy. The biggest influences to the style that jump out at me are early American bobbers, 60s American "outlaw" show bikes (think Ed Roth, David Mann, Arlen Ness, Denvers, etc), and traditional Japanese design cues. Again, this is just my opinion so take that for the bucket of air its worth. ;) The Japanese builders are (and have been) putting out some really amazing stuff. Functional, and stylised machines that really kick the piss out of the usual American billet crap.

Oh... Amd TO ME, the bikes that most folks build outside of Japan and call "brats" miss the mark completely. 50 years ago they may have been called bobbers, or specials or what-the-hell-ever, amd most are really sharp bikes but in the end they don't really follow suit with the Japanese styling and modifications.

In the end all that really matters is that YOU build a bike that YOU think is radness all around.

VonYinzer said:
In the end all that really matters is that YOU build a bike that YOU think is radness all around.

Sigged

VonYinzer said:

Who also said:
If you're plan is to build a "cafe racer" styled machine, that 16 will have to go. It'll throw the whole bike out of proportion. If the plan is a brat, bobber or chopper, than the 16 can be made to work just fine with some work to the front forks
Mixed message....Build it your way, but this is how it should be done....LOL

We are all crazy...

mydlyfkryzis said:
Who also said:Mixed message....Build it your way, but this is how it should be done....LOL

We are all crazy...

Not what I was saying at all my man. A 16" rear wheel is a negative to the handling performance of a "cafe racer". If you want to run a 16" rear, go to town. But, know that it will adversely effect the end result you're (they're) after. The OP in the thread you dragged that quote all the way over here from was asking questions from the perspective of not only looks but performance, so... I answered him(her?) accordingly.

Re: Re: Brat?

VonYinzer said:
Google "Bratsyle Japan".

Bratstyle is an actual bike shop in Japan, where that style of build was popularized. It wasn't created by them per-se but they are notable enough to have their name stuck to it.

Its a mix of a lot of styles (to me) really. Which, is something the Japanese builders are really good at doing without making it look gawdy. The biggest influences to the style that jump out at me are early American bobbers, 60s American "outlaw" show bikes (think Ed Roth, David Mann, Arlen Ness, Denvers, etc), and traditional Japanese design cues. Again, this is just my opinion so take that for the bucket of air its worth. ;) The Japanese builders are (and have been) putting out some really amazing stuff. Functional, and stylised machines that really kick the piss out of the usual American billet crap.
mike thanks for that info did not know that

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

VonYinzer said:
Google "Bratsyle Japan".

Spot on Von, there is a difference to the Japanese brat style and what is perceived as a brat style bike elsewhere. They use a lot of Harleys where as you hardly see a brat Harley outside of Japan.

Many thanks for the info one and all. I agree with building what you want personally, rhat's what I have done with my GN400 and it suits me just fine.

It still seems vague to me as to what constitutes a brat vs. a cafe/brat. I see both labels used almost interchangeably. A very customized bike with a thin bench seat can be called a brat or a cafe/brat. The same bike with a bump seat is almost always a cafe. Am I missing anything?

vibration said:
It still seems vague to me as to what constitutes a brat vs. a cafe/brat. I see both labels used almost interchangeably. A very customized bike with a thin bench seat can be called a brat or a cafe/brat. The same bike with a bump seat is almost always a cafe. Am I missing anything?

No you've pretty much got it.
At this point cafe=bum stop seat

Need new names...Brafe? Catfe? Crat? Carat? How about "???" or "!!!" if its an exciting build?

The brat is the lobster of the modifications. Does it taste like crab(bobber), does it shrimp(cafe), or does it taste like both.

vibration said:

The older builds out of Bratstyle usually had larger front tires and the handlebars were superbike style or higher, all the way to apehangers... you never saw clubmans or clip-ons on one of theirs. Now you'll see almost anything but what we typically call "Cafe's" out of them...

I call this one a brat. But then again I thought it was an acronym for Burning Rice All the Time. ;D

VonYinzer said:
Google "Bratsyle Japan".

That is some interesting information. Never knew it started in Japan, but I'm not surprised. That turn out some amazing things.

Back
Top Bottom