77 GS550 project

Clinedesign

a sleepy mill town with a smokestack on one end
This is my Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, whenever I get time, etc. project. So far...

Started out as a Suzuki 1977 GS550 in pretty good shape:
westeagle4.jpg

The tear-down starts:
westeagle5.jpg

Making aluminum bits shiny:
engine.jpg

Give me your thoughts on this West Eagle seat:
westeagle1.jpg

westeagle6.jpg

westeagle7.jpg

Will likely fill the area under the seat with a cateye taillight.

How we mounted the seat:
westeagle2.jpg

I'll cut a few more tabs off the frame, construct a battery holder and electrics tray and then its off to powder coat.

I have some cheapie Emgo Superbike bars I'm going to try as well as some Tarozzi clip-ons.
Clipon_Cat_pic.jpg

Looking for suggestions on how to fill the gap where I cut off the frame under the seat. I'm thinking turn signals mounted to the seat mount like this Photoshop mockup:
tailighttest.jpg

I need battery suggestions for this bike. Gel type, horizontal under seat type of thing.

Should I go with the Tarozzis or something a little more practical for my 60-year-old back?
torozzi.jpg

checking out headlight bucket from KZ440:
signals.jpg

View from behind:
seatthing.jpg

I'll be installing swingarm this weekend and get the back wheel on if chainring shows via UPS.

Nice seat! I have been loving the same style on Doc Chops Virago, and finally realized who is selling them. Unfortunately it seems like they need an American distibutor. I have a friend with warehouse space and would love to get 100 of them over here!

look for a 550 katana fuel tank , silver in color but 5 gals ..fits right on, style like a tt tank, even had fuel gauge if you need it ... i put one on my 1981- gs650 extra 2 gals is great and hight and knee cut outs...

roy rodriguez said:
look for a 550 katana fuel tank , silver in color but 5 gals ..fits right on, style like a tt tank, even had fuel gauge if you need it ... i put one on my 1981- gs650 extra 2 gals is great and hight and knee cut outs...

Do you have photos?

thanks
jc

Yeah, Roy. I, too, would love to see photos of that katana tank. I'm looking for a good GS tank alternative. Cheers!

....and we have a roller. Won't stop or run, but we have a roller! Needs chain, battery, lights, tank painted, clubman bars, controls, front caliper and master cylinder rebuilt, fenders, carbs rebuilt and jetted for pod filters... good thing it's a hobby. Hobbies don't require sticking to any kind of budget or timeline... I need a tool organizer for that wall, FOCUS MAN, stay on track here.
roller.jpg

Back
Top Bottom